PDA

View Full Version : Wheeling and dealing on a new mower?

MikeKle
04-21-2009, 11:39 PM
I am going to buy a new WB here soon, either Exmark or ferris, but I wondered if you could wheel and deal with them and get them to come down on price like you would do when buying a vehicle? I assume you could since you are spending that much money and they are like any other dealer,(out to make money), ecspecially if you are going to pay cash for it. If they are asking $6899. for the ferris, How much would be good to start at?, figuring you would have to go up some, Maybe start by offering around $5900 and gauge their response and maybe be firm at around $6200-6300???? One friend of mine said to always offer them half of what they are asking and give yourself room to negoiate, he always got cars for much less then the asking price!!!, but when you can pay cash for a new truck, they will come down quite a bit!! He always brags about the time he got a new 1994 Ford F-150, 4x4,with all the toys for the same price as a stripped down 2WD F-150, Although it was before I met him and he also sold the truck before I met him?(A little convenient)!

ToroLandscaper
04-21-2009, 11:46 PM
I am going to buy a new WB here soon, either Exmark or ferris, but I wondered if you could wheel and deal with them and get them to come down on price like you would do when buying a vehicle? I assume you could since you are spending that much money and they are like any other dealer,(out to make money), ecspecially if you are going to pay cash for it. If they are asking $6899. for the ferris, How much would be good to start at?, figuring you would have to go up some, Maybe start by offering around $5900 and gauge their response and maybe be firm at around $6200-6300???? One friend of mine said to always offer them half of what they are asking and give yourself room to negoiate, he always got cars for much less then the asking price!!!, but when you can pay cash for a new truck, they will come down quite a bit!! He always brags about the time he got a new 1994 Ford F-150, 4x4,with all the toys for the same price as a stripped down 2WD F-150, Although it was before I met him and he also sold the truck before I met him?(A little convenient)!

There is technique to negotiating, some simple tips that I used are always ask them what the lowest figure is first, and go down from there. The first person to list the bottom price normally gets the sh** end of the stick.

Also it is good to try and get the price 20% off of the piece of equipment, this is often times hard to do, but aim for that.

I strongly suggest to have cash if you can, when you have cash in hand that almost always gives you the upper hand in the negotiation.

There is a lot more to negotiation and negotiation tactic, but those are some basics I stick to generally.

ToroLandscaper
04-21-2009, 11:47 PM

There is technique to negotiating, some simple tips that I used are always ask them what the lowest figure is first, and go down from there. The first person to list the bottom normally gets the sh** end of the stick.

Also it is good to try and get the price 25-30 percent off of the piece of equipment, this is often times hard to do, but aim for that.

I strongly suggest to have cash if you can, when you have cash in hand that almost always gives you the upper hand in the negotiation.

There is a lot more to negotiation and negotiation tactic, but those are some basics I stick to generally.

mowerknower
04-21-2009, 11:48 PM
All depends on the dealer. Now is not the best time to try to wheel and deal so dont expect to get to far. On a $7000 mower the dealer is only making about a grand before shipping and set up so dont expect to get too much off. So your initial off may very well be less than what he paid for it. Unless its an old model that the dealer it paying interest on you will not be able to get too much of a discount. Also consider what you would think if one of your accounts tried to wheel and deal?

ToroLandscaper
04-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Sorry for the double post, I went to change my percentages, which should be 25-30 percent, and accidentally reposted it. Sorry.

Mow N GO 06
04-21-2009, 11:59 PM

If they are asking $6899.00 they are making about $850.00 total and they hope to get cash to save a few dollars on finance fees if you chose to do so. Now use that margin to decide what to offer. What do you want them to make? Remember, you will make more on the machine than they will ever dream of making. And you have to show your face there if you have a break-down. Be careful low-balling them. Just my 2 cents. Besides, if you can't make $850 on a mower you buy over next 6-10 years you are bankrupt anyway. So why wheel and deal? In fact, if you cant make $850 profit on any new mower in next 180 days, you are in the wrong business to begin with. After a 180 days its all profit as far as capital investment is concerned. The rest of the overhead (dealer has no control over this) is day to day overhead, payroll, fuel, supplies, etc. Don't beat your capital investment dealer up over a few hundred dollars. They will be the ones that take care of you if you AREN'T the the A-Typical POS fly by night LCO that only looks at price. Find the dealer you like and go with it.

justanotherlawnguy
04-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Funny how every other post on lawnsite is from lco's complaining about low ballers and not getting jobs because of how cheap people are. Now the shoe is on the other foot and you want something for nothing.

It's all perspective, how much time and energy are you going to waste trying to save a couple hundred bucks.

Ask for a set of blades and a t shirt and then go make some money with your new mower.

ed2hess
04-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Funny how every other post on lawnsite is from lco's complaining about low ballers and not getting jobs because of how cheap people are. Now the shoe is on the other foot and you want something for nothing.

It's all perspective, how much time and energy are you going to waste trying to save a couple hundred bucks.

Ask for a set of blades and a t shirt and then go make some money with your new mower.

That is very good advise........when you wheel and deal they remember that you lose all your chits.

Wizz
04-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Like said don't expect a huge amount off...there isn't as much margin in items as people usually think there is. But it wouldn't hurt to ask for a 'sale' price if you're going to be loyal to that dealer for other items. Be careful if it's a big dealer that specializes in financing that they don't nail you on that end...but you're paying cash so you're good.

When we bought our lightly used diesel truck from the dealer I came prepared and we nailed the dealer pretty good...I picked the salesman that was most green and has only been working for 2 weeks as a salesman, I negotiated a near blue book deal telling him I would 'finance' the vehicle. Him 'assuming' I would finance through them he agreed to the deal and we signed...then when I went in the back with the finance guy he about fell over and was getting kinda upset when I told them I already had gotten ultra low rate financing through our Credit Union and I had it in hand, he tried every tactic to get us to finance through them and sell us 'extras' with zero luck. If you're smart about things you can always save some $$$, just keep in mind the margins aren't as high as most think so don't expect to much. Best of luck.

GPDesign1
04-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Mike: $6899 for a walk-behind? Have they lost their mind? That's insane. I'd be insulted by a price like that. I know what this stuff costs...

Call us and we can put you into one of our Dually's for about HALF that price.

Good grief. Some of these "big" companies have lost any connection to reality. :hammerhead: They deserve to fail for their arrogance toward their customers.

gp

ZTR_Diesel
04-22-2009, 09:12 PM
When it comes to new eauipment, similar to new cars, the margins differ greatly with manufacturer and type of equipment. For example, a mid-size japanese car that sells for $20k really has a profit margin of only around 1500, that's why you don't see the fire-sale deals on them.

If you were buying used, you might be wise to look for 20 - 30% off. But if you're buying new, you may want to consider relationship to the dealer first.

MikeKle
04-22-2009, 11:26 PM
GPDesign1, The WB for $6899. has a 61" deck and 25hp engine with dual hydros, it is comparable to a ZTR. If you can get me a WB with 60" deck and at least a 23hp engine for half the cost of the ferris, I will buy tommorrow!

ztrlvr
04-23-2009, 01:42 PM

My thoughts exactly

tacoma200
04-23-2009, 03:50 PM

Any savvy business man tries to buy low and sell high. There is nothing wrong with trying to get a good price on a mower. I talk to several dealers and see how much they vary (which is considerable sometimes). I always feel like I'm in control with the salesman, I have the money and he has to try to please me as the customer. I never get in a hurry and never seem too interested, I'm always hesitant to buy (or at least this is how I appear, which is usually true). I find bargains usually take some patience so start shopping before you are actually ready to buy. If you mention what you were quoted from another dealer, usually they will offer a lower price, but not always. Anyway after I know what the going rate is I usually end up buying from my local dealer, even if he is a little higher. But know your product and the going price.

This is just me. You guys do it the way you want. I was raised by a great Dad that just happened to be a car salesman, gun dealer, pawn shop owner, etc. This is just a little of what I have witnessed. I asked him once what was the secret to selling a car (he was a very low pressure salesman) and he said when a customer makes up their mind they want a car you can't hardly talk them out of it. And he did try to talk some people out of it such as my friends. So the customer is making a decision often based on emotion, while the salesman does this everyday so really he has the leg up on most buyers.

So am I a lowballer or savvy business man when it comes to buying a piece of equipment that helps support me? If anyone calls me a lowballer that's OK, my feeling are not hurt. A lowballer is trying to steal, or take business, I am trying to get a good deal and I want the dealer to make a living also. I will pay more to the local dealer though I haven't had to so far.

Hope this helps, it's only my opinion. :)

kaferhaus
04-23-2009, 03:58 PM
I find that about 10% is all you're going to get off the price of new equipment. My dealer learned a lesson 2 yrs ago as his "best price" was about 5% off of 3 new ZTRs. I drove 45 miles to the next Bobcat dealer and bought them there. He was pissed for awhile but I did to him exactly what he does to his suppliers. I got the best price I could get.

And comparing your "service" to his "product" is BS. It's the same product whether you buy from him or the guy down the road. There are huge differences in the quality of work done by LCOs. I'm not interested in his "service" we do our own repairs other than warranty work (which the dealer gets paid for by the mfg.).

He got over being "pissed" after a couple of weeks once we had a little heart to heart chat and I laid it out to him just like I did above. He'd asked me in the past where we buy our "consumables" as I buy next to nothing like that from him unless it's an emergency. I told him most things I buy from the same people he buys from as I buy in bulk and get "fleet" pricing. I came very close to buying the Bobcats direct.... but the freight charges made it almost a wash with the other dealers price and he had them on the floor.

He has to make a profit and I have to keep my business expenses down. Without "good service" I wouldn't buy anything from him but part of that "service" is giving me a decent break on purchases.

tacoma200
04-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Any savvy business man tries to buy low and sell high. There is nothing wrong with trying to get a good price on a mower. I talk to several dealers and see how much they vary (which is considerable sometimes). I always feel like I'm in control with the salesman, I have the money and he has to try to please me as the customer. I never get in a hurry and never seem too interested, I'm always hesitant to buy (or at least this is how I appear, which is usually true). I find bargains usually take some patience so start shopping before you are actually ready to buy. If you mention what you were quoted from another dealer, usually they will offer a lower price, but not always. Anyway after I know what the going rate is I usually end up buying from my local dealer, even if he is a little higher. But know your product and the going price.

This is just me. You guys do it the way you want. I was raised by a great Dad that just happened to be a car salesman, gun dealer, pawn shop owner, etc. This is just a little of what I have witnessed. I asked him once what was the secret to selling a car (he was a very low pressure salesman) and he said when a customer makes up their mind they want a car you can't hardly talk them out of it. And he did try to talk some people out of it such as my friends. So the customer is making a decision often based on emotion, while the salesman does this everyday so really he has the leg up on most buyers.

So am I a lowballer or savvy business man when it comes to buying a piece of equipment that helps support me? If anyone calls me a lowballer that's OK, my feeling are not hurt. A lowballer is trying to steal, or take business, I am trying to get a good deal and I want the dealer to make a living also. I will pay more to the local dealer though I haven't had to so far.

Hope this helps, it's only my opinion. :)

P.S. Often the price quote on larger items vary over $1,000.00 . Just ask puppypaws's , he gave me his dealers price on a mower and my dealer met it and delivered it. The prices were varying greatly on Hustlers.

Prices I have gave to the best of my knowledge:
Lazer Z 27 Kohler 60" Utra-Cut $8,100
Hustler Super Z 27 Kohler 60" Cut $7,995
Scag Turf Tiger 31 Briggs 60" Velocity $8,000+ (can't remember exactly).
Scag Turf Tiger 35 Briggs 60" Velocity $9,600

lifetree
07-13-2009, 08:33 PM
... Prices I have gave to the best of my knowledge:

Lazer Z 27 Kohler 60" Utra-Cut $8,100
Hustler Super Z 27 Kohler 60" Cut $7,995
Scag Turf Tiger 31 Briggs 60" Velocity $8,000+ (can't remember exactly).
Scag Turf Tiger 35 Briggs 60" Velocity $9,600

tacoma -- This is the first time I've seen your equipment listed, just 1 question ... why do you need so many big ZTR's like that ??

mcw615
07-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Remember they are only making $700-$1000 off the machine. That has to cover shipping, set up, and they have to provide the labor for any warranty work performed. My advice maybe try and get $100 off but don't be cocky just ask, "hey is there any way you can give me $100 off?" When your equipment breaks down they remember who the naggers are and they will service the better customers and get their equipment back to them quicker than you. So Yes it is more upfront but later down the road it can cost you more money by nagging them down. Remember your a business owner and understand you have to make a dollar. Car dealerships set their price high because they know the price is going to be negotiated.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
07-13-2009, 09:05 PM
GPDesign1, The WB for $6899. has a 61" deck and 25hp engine with dual hydros, it is comparable to a ZTR. If you can get me a WB with 60" deck and at least a 23hp engine for half the cost of the ferris, I will buy tommorrow!

Gary has a point Mike. For $7grand, you can get a Z that has all that stuff you list. Why would you want a WB at that price? Looking at BOP's Dually Samurai with the 16HP Kaw and 44" deck, much better deal even if the deck is smaller. Heck, get almost two Sam Dually's for the money you want to pony.