PDA

View Full Version : no plugs

greentea
03-26-2002, 09:45 PM
I have a question regarding an areator I just rented. It did a great job on my parents lawn. It pulled plenty of plugs. Then I did my own yard and it poked holes but no plugs were visible. What did I do wrong?! I did both lawns the same day. Any help would be appreciated. You may e-mail me with a reply if you'd like or I will check the forum. Thank you.

ohiolawnguy
03-27-2002, 03:54 AM
gee, i dont know. maybe you have a lot of sand in your soil versus your parent home? sounds like a situation id have to see to make any sense of.

what kind of aerator did you rent?

greentea
03-27-2002, 09:46 AM
I rented a Plugr aereator. How can you tell if the soil has a high sand content? And do I need to aerate if there is a lot of sand in the soil. Thanks again.

Ground Master
03-27-2002, 10:31 AM
I have found that even on sandy soils, you should get a good plug. Most likely the ground was too hard. If you water a few days in advance you should be able to get sood size plugs.

Also, you would have better results with a ryan 4, turfco, or bluebird aerator.

I owned a plugr years ago.......I never did like it. Maybe they have improved them?

lawnstudent
04-07-2002, 06:35 PM
Did you run that aerator over gravel/stones like along side the road bed? Did you run it under some mature trees in the lawn? Did you check the tines to see if they were jammed when you noticed it wasn't pulling plugs? Those tines probably were jammed with stones or wood plugs from tree roots. I have even seen tines plugged with grass and wet clay so bad that they could not pull a plug. This latter happens on really lush turf. Did you do the first lawn one day and let the soil in the tines dry & harden? Aerating a lawn without clearing the tines will punch holes and compact your soil. You see no visible plugs on the grass. Pure sand will produce no plugs. Is your lawn grow'n on the beach? I doubt is was due to sandy soil!

jim