PDA

View Full Version : Paver patio - delay between compaction and laying bricks....

Akshue
04-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Ok, another question for you pros.

If I compact the gravel base on Friday for my patio (things are drying out real nice today), is it basically stable then? Like, if it pours on saturday I won't lose any of my work? I would cover it with a tarp, but keep in mind that this had a few inches of water in it before with our last rain.

I am also planning on putting in a bag of portland cement with the first layer of gravel.

amscapes03
04-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Whats the reason for using portland?

Akshue
04-22-2009, 08:45 PM
I read on here it can help out with wetter soils and clay

Bru75
04-22-2009, 11:33 PM
I think they meant for you to put the portland on the soil to draw out the moisture, not in the gravel.
You should be fine if it rains on your compacted base, it would help if you have a place for the water to go so it doesn't puddle on top.
When I get caught by rain I usually run the compactor over it a few times the day after after the rain just to be safe.

NewHorizon's Land
04-24-2009, 12:57 AM
the portland should dry out the gravel some but not all. you dont want it to be dry. Once you have your base in its ready for the pavers

LB1234
04-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Portland can and will help with over saturated base material. However, don't make concrete out of it. The idea is to 'soak up' the extra moisture, not to dry out your base material.

IF your base is properly compacted with the correct slope and it rains you shouldn't have much if any problems at all...again as the previous poster said you need a place for the water to drain to though or it will just puddle in the lowest spot which isn't good.