PDA

View Full Version : Pavers over a septic cap

Ocutter73
04-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I have to bid on a pathway that runs right over a septic cap. What i will have to do is take a little off the ring and lower it below grade. I wanted to see if anyone else has come across this and how they disguised the cap yet still made it accessible. I did this once before but you could see the circular pattern in the pavers..any ideas?

DVS Hardscaper
04-22-2009, 08:52 PM
is it the lid over the tank (there are usually 2 of them) or is it a clean out in the line between the house and tank???

capelawncare.com
04-22-2009, 09:49 PM
I saw a show last night, where they were laying down Pa Bluestone, and they replaced the septic cap with a metal plate. Seemed like a simple enough solution.

BOEpavers
04-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Did something similar with an access to a buried pool fiter vault. Although we were using EP Henry Devonstone I think a similar solution would work for pavers. See the attached pics. I had a local welder do the frame from Stainless that he bent and welded to make the framework seen in the first pic. Then inserted the 2 pieces of devonstone and secured with adhesive. The flange of the framework sits on the pavers that are solid. Had over 500lbs of meat standing on this and it didn't flex at all. We just used stainless strapping across the bottom but for pavers you probably would want a solid bottom.

Ocutter73
04-23-2009, 07:27 AM
DVS - The cap is the usual 2-3" thick 18" across concrete cap that you see as a cleanout access. There is a 5" plastic cleanout tube but that will be in a bed so I can hide with mulch. I like the idea of the metal frame but you would be able to see the access panel from the beginning of the walkway. I was trying to think of a way to add support to the bottom without compromising the view of the "I" pattern she wants. That metal plate may be the way to go.