PDA

View Full Version : dethatcher

JET Lawn Care
04-22-2009, 06:30 PM
what the heck is a dethatcher do or used for? if i was to buy one what would i use it to do?

J&R Landscaping
04-22-2009, 08:04 PM
They break up the dead grass, leaves and other debris thats pressed into your lawn. De-thatchers can also be called power rakes because thats what they do. If a lawn has too much build up, it won't absorb fertilizer very well and won't be as healthy as it can be.

Mowbizz
04-22-2009, 08:08 PM
what the heck is a dethatcher do or used for? if i was to buy one what would i use it to do?

This is a picture of "thatch"...too thick a layer is detrimental to lawn health...they say a 1/2 inch of thatch is acceptable. A dethatcher reaches down t this layer and brings up the matted thatch...

.:drinkup:

JET Lawn Care
04-24-2009, 12:03 PM
can u expain to me how to use one. think i might get one to put on my tractor. i mean do i just put it on it then lower it? or do i have to ajust it based on what i see on the lawn?

Mowbizz
04-24-2009, 11:48 PM
can u expain to me how to use one. think i might get one to put on my tractor. i mean do i just put it on it then lower it? or do i have to ajust it based on what i see on the lawn?

I've never used one but I'm sure there are adjustments for how deep the tines reach into the lawn. Maybe a trial and error thing...set it up, try it, then adjust as needed.

CGlisson
04-25-2009, 01:01 AM
I just put my JRCO Tine Rake Dethatcher on today and used it on a few lawns. I did not have to adjust the height at all on the lawns I did. What is most important is mowing a cross pattern to hit the grass at different angles.

Well worth the investment, saves you from raking lawns for spring clean-ups!