PDA

View Full Version : Business Consulting Service?

PR0 TURF
04-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Has anyone ever used a business management consulting service? I am considering using the George S. May company to help find inefficiencies in my business. Just looking for some feedback about them or other consulting companies...

Thank you!

Big C
04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
One my customers owns a business consulting service and gives me free tips....it's very helpful.

Looking Good Lawn Service
04-22-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure what the service may address, however, I have a degree in Business Management, and can offer advice in that field if you have questions, I am currently wrapping up my 2nd bachelors in Business Management, should be done next semester. More than likely they will address three areas, Accounting practices, human resources, and other things like how you manage the way things (jobs) get done in your business. Best of luck, some times most things are common sense, sometimes not.

Fvstringpicker
04-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Check with the Chamber of Commerce and see if they have a small business development center. If so the services are often free.

lawnangel1
04-23-2009, 09:14 AM
A big company I worked for a long time ago used a service similar to this to find inefficencies. The owners loved these consultants but all the managers hated them. They find a lot of obvious stuff but they also want you to practice things that arent very practical for a lawn care biz sometimes.

Az Gardener
04-23-2009, 12:38 PM
If you are committed to follow their advise then it may be worth you time and money but I have never seen a company follow the directions they were given. I have been with a few good sized companies in the past that had this kind of thing done, I cost a small fortune and the reports ended up on a shelf.

Its a lot like losing weight "well I paid all this money for this diet program how come I'm not losing weight???"

I like a business coach that works with you on a regular basis. See my e myth thread I just popped on to pass along a daily message from my coach.

TPnTX
08-22-2009, 03:56 PM
A good friend started a business several years ago. Its an animal daycare/grooming business. That said lets call it a widget because its a service that people want.

I consider Landscape Maintenance and Mowing a widget as well. Like it or not its a service that people need. You can find easier things to do for a living but thats a whole other talk show.

Anyway this friend of ours did everything by the book in terms of business. She got her business funded. Hired consultants including a business coach and followed the playbook. Very Successfull.

I have achieved relativelty good results from my business so far. I hoped this year I would make enough money, be at the right place at the right time, make some smart decisions and carfully proceed to the next level. Well guess what. We have a cash flow issue right now. I have a lot of money invoiced out but it isnt comming in fast enough. So Im having to scramble.

Another issue is my wife's business. She does book keeping and most of her clients are contractors. See a problem there? So we don't have her income and that really hurt.

Anyway, I have the means to invest into my company. I tried the cautious "Dave Ramsey" approach which he makes sound so secure and doable. Well its not at least in this case.

I am a pretty smart guy but a business degree I have not. I plan to hire a business coach.

bohiaa
08-23-2009, 10:14 AM
The Government has GREAT programs. I have attended several.

there the best out there. and there free.

The Government does'nt want you to fail. it's money in there pocket. and your creating jobs.....

TPnTX
08-23-2009, 06:47 PM
so where did you find these programs, SBA?

bohiaa
08-23-2009, 11:02 PM
so where did you find these programs, SBA?

No. from the state web site, and a local Junior college in my area.

you can get with the state and they will inform you of where and when classes will be held, and the diffrent type of them.

Here's a link to the one in my area. it may get ya going for your district.

Best of luck

http://www.sbdcnetwork.uh.edu/faq1.htm

Small Business developement center

jada86
08-24-2009, 06:56 AM
Check with the SCORE office locally in your area. It's a service of the SBA and free, free, free.

Mowing By The Numbers
08-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Well there are two types of consulting. One is general business, which all the above resources are great. If you want real what to do, hands on help you need to find someone that knows what they are talking about and also what size business they are familiar with. Also some consultants just look at the numbers and tell you where you need to be but not how to get there. You really need a consultant that can work as a coach. Someone that you can call anytime and will help you implement real world solutions. Of course this can be expensive but if you make more profit then it is worth it. The other option is to find a successful larger business then yourself that is not on your direct market and see if the owner will mentor you. You would be surprised of the number of people that will agree to help you.

mikey.hill
08-25-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm building a startup business and have been having trouble lately, mostly with time management and making sure I'm doing everything possible to stay afloat for the first year. A friend of mine who's sort-of mentoring me and i had a chat the other day about how things were going south and what I could do to change things up really evaluate my business. He suggested I read this book(http://www.amazon.com/E-Myth-Revisited-Small-Businesses-About/dp/0887307280/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251200958&sr=8-1) ... I can't really say if it will help your situation because I'm running on capital right now and have yet to turn any profit and won't for at least ~6months or so but it has some really good advice that I had never considered before and really applies to business in general.

Just put 2+2 together and realized that someone posts up the e-myth daily message... cool.