PDA

View Full Version : Honda HRX single-blade configuration?

Roger
04-22-2009, 09:41 PM
I bought a Honda HRX mower to start the season. It has the quad-cut system, with two blades. Is there a blade available that is a single-blade setup? I would like to replace the two-blade setup with a single one, with a high-lift.

Before jumping to conclusions, let me explain my question. The mower is relatively new, only having mowed about 100 yards over the past couple of weeks. It is being run six to eight hours on most days. The mowing season is slow to ramp up this year, so growth has been manageable. In fact, I have used the mower in Mulch mode a good part of the time. Some use has been bagging. The Versa-Mow feature is a joke, so the lever is either Bag or Mulch, but never between.

We are just now getting into the heavy growth period. A few lawns have been mowed that require bagging. The water content of the clippings is high, and will be getting higher. This means the clippings easily turn to mush. The last thing I want is the clippings cut multiple times. I want - cut once, out the chute, into the bag. The more they are cut, they will more easily the debris will just pack up the underside of the deck, requiring a clean out. I've already seen it in limited use, so I know it happens, and I know it will only get worse.

From my experience with other mowers, the best blade is a high lift blade that cuts once, out the chute, into the bag. An aggressive high lift blade will help keep the underside of the deck clean. Forget the mulching blade, the Gator blade, and other suggestions -- just don't cut that debris more than once, please. I believe the Honda will be a more effective machine if it has a single-blade setup, one with very good lift.

Does anybody have a suggestion? Or, a place that might have what I am seeking? I have done some searching, but only find the double-blade offered. I suppose I could just take off the upper blade. But, the lower one doesn't have much of a lift on the trailing wing. I haven't tried this idea, but am hoping that a different blade with a more aggressive trailing wing is available.

Thanks.

deere615
04-22-2009, 10:45 PM
I would try the lower blade only. I love 2 blades. These blades are very unique I never saw and other blades, I put a universal dethacting blade on one of mine and I had to drill the holes out a bit and I hade to put washers behind it. But like I said I have cut very wet grass before and it does finewhen it chops up there is less in the bag and nothing gets clogged

mowerknower
04-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Not gonna find a good single blades set up for the honda homeowner machine. Sorry

dishboy
04-23-2009, 12:08 AM
If the blade set up is the same as the HRC 216 the top blade has larger holes. Cut the top blade off on each end so the mounting part remains and add a Snapper hi-lift kit to the bottom blade.

JFGLN
04-23-2009, 12:42 AM
I picked up a new Honda commercial mower a couple of months ago. The sales guy mentioned that they have a "kit" so you could use a single high lift blade. I don't think the top blade does much when your not mulching and we seldom mulch here.

ezgoer1969
04-23-2009, 01:01 AM
I would suggest changing the blade setup on your machine. I am doing so as well to hopefully achieve better results. Here is the link you might use..

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/pdf/accessories/ml.repap44a.lawnmowers.pdf

Hope this helps..

ezgoer1969
04-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Just to help if you are not sure..

2-3 blade setup options

Roger
04-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think my conclusion that nothing was available is, in fact, correct. That is disappointing.

Thanks to ezgoer for the link. I had seen that page on blade choices during the Winter when I was researching this machine, but, frankly, had forgotten about it. The best suggestion offered is what I had thought to try, and was suggested by another -- use the single lower blade.

We used the machine (with standard two-blade setup) on a job mid-morning that had very good growth, required bagging, and the turf was pretty damp. Just as expected, the deck quickly packed up on the underside. It did put the clippings in the bag, which is a good thing. However, some of the debris in the bag was green wads, having been cut, recut, and recut again. Only about a half bag was enough to upset the balance of the mower, causing the front wheels to come off the ground.

Other jobs we were able to use the Mulch mode, and it worked fine after things dried out a bit. At this time, we are switching, Bag to Mulch, Mulch to Bag. As the season progresses, and growth becomes heavier, I am expecting to move to only Bag. When we reach that point, I will try the single blade setup, just not mounting the top blade.

Thanks for the help.

dishboy
04-23-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. I think my conclusion that nothing was available is, in fact, correct. That is disappointing.

Thanks to ezgoer for the link. I had seen that page on blade choices during the Winter when I was researching this machine, but, frankly, had forgotten about it. The best suggestion offered is what I had thought to try, and was suggested by another -- use the single lower blade.

We used the machine (with standard two-blade setup) on a job mid-morning that had very good growth, required bagging, and the turf was pretty damp. Just as expected, the deck quickly packed up on the underside. It did put the clippings in the bag, which is a good thing. However, some of the debris in the bag was green wads, having been cut, recut, and recut again. Only about a half bag was enough to upset the balance of the mower, causing the front wheels to come off the ground.

Other jobs we were able to use the Mulch mode, and it worked fine after things dried out a bit. At this time, we are switching, Bag to Mulch, Mulch to Bag. As the season progresses, and growth becomes heavier, I am expecting to move to only Bag. When we reach that point, I will try the single blade setup, just not mounting the top blade.

Thanks for the help.

Does your model allow mounting just the bottom blade. My HRC216 will not allow this as the bottom blade has smaller holes. If you can mount just the bottom blade you do realize you just raised your HOC.

ezgoer1969
04-23-2009, 10:14 PM
There is a gator blade offered that replaces the twin blade setup. It is a 3 in 1, allows side discharge, bag and mulch. I ordered two today and will have them in monday afternoon. I will try on tuesday on some of my high growth lawns and reply to how they did. I am trying to mulch 100%, may be asking for too much, but that is what I am after. We are unable to use trash bags here for clippings, have to buy special paper bags which are expensive. So bagging for me is out of the question. Again, I will repost tuesday night with my results. The blades are $20.78 a piece, so if you wish to order from a mower shop around you, they have them listed(aftermarket).

Roger
04-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Does your model allow mounting just the bottom blade. My HRC216 will not allow this as the bottom blade has smaller holes. If you can mount just the bottom blade you do realize you just raised your HOC.

The two blades are bolted to a hub on the BBC, with two 14mm bolts. They are spaced about 3" apart. Each has its own set of holes, so the bolting makes a sandwich from the two items. The top blade has a rotation offset of about 15-20 degrees from the bottom one. I think the thickness is 0.15". So, taking out the top blade will mean the bottom blade moves up that distance, not enough to effect HOC.

Sorry, no pics of the setup. I hope my description answers the question.