PDA

View Full Version : in what order??

MileHigh
04-22-2009, 10:23 PM
hope nobody rags on me for this but...I mainly do maintenance, but I have a landscape project to complete. The drawing is done and both I and customer approves.

My question is what order do all the installs need to go in to be most efficient?

Here is a list of all the things needed to be completed in this job in the order I assume things should happen. I wanna see what order you all think they should go in.

This is a backyard only. Rock, Sod and mulch will be delivered.

1. post for fence
2. 20 yards of soil
3. bed edging
4. fabric / shrubs / trees
5. irrigation
6. rock / mulch
7. sod
8. fence
9. flagstone

Is this right?

White Gardens
04-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Pretty simple.

Just make sure all your prep-work is done completely first, such as tilling and grading, and for your much and rock beds, rake them down smooth so all your mulch/rock goes down cleanly.

What kind of edge are you doing for the rock ?? Brick/mortar,metal, cut edge ???

I also suggest using fabric and pins in the rock beds, but not the mulch beds.

4 seasons lawn&land
04-23-2009, 01:20 PM
that'll work, but Id do the fence last with the flagstone, posts and everything so you dont have to work around them.

MileHigh
04-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Pretty simple.

Just make sure all your prep-work is done completely first, such as tilling and grading, and for your much and rock beds, rake them down smooth so all your mulch/rock goes down cleanly.

What kind of edge are you doing for the rock ?? Brick/mortar,metal, cut edge ???

I also suggest using fabric and pins in the rock beds, but not the mulch beds.

Thanks for the advice.

The edge is 250 linear ft of 14 gauge roll top edging.

Tell me why you wouldn't recommend the fabric under the mulch?

that'll work, but Id do the fence last with the flagstone, posts and everything so you dont have to work around them.

Thing with doing the fence last is that the rock / mulch beds are going to be installed right up next to where the fence is going to be....So if the landscape is already installed...I think we would have to rip up some of the landscape to dig for posts.

That's Why I think Fence posts should go in first....correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thanks guys.

riverwalklandscaping
04-23-2009, 08:59 PM
are you putting a base under the flagstone? If so that should be done around the time of the soil spreading. I would do the sod last (Don't forget watering). Also the irrigation before/during the soil depending on if its going in the soil area or a diff spot? I also put fabric under mulched beds too, helps with the weeds, just like the rock area.

White Gardens
04-23-2009, 09:23 PM
I personally don't like using fabric under mulch. The reason being is that if you keep adding mulch, after a couple of seasons, you have to remove the mulch and then you have a nasty layer of fabric to deal with.

I also like to till mulch beds after a couple of applications to turn it and extend the life of the mulch by another 6 months or so. If you have fabric, forget the tilling.

Finally, the weeds in the mulch will eventually root into the fabric. Mulch is more of a haven for weed growth compared to rock, so as soon as you try to pull a weed that's in the cloth, it comes up. If the same situation happens in rock, the rock helps to hold the fabric down, especially when it's pinned.

All a matter of preference I guess

MileHigh
04-23-2009, 11:02 PM
are you putting a base under the flagstone? If so that should be done around the time of the soil spreading. I would do the sod last (Don't forget watering). Also the irrigation before/during the soil depending on if its going in the soil area or a diff spot? I also put fabric under mulched beds too, helps with the weeds, just like the rock area.

The flagstone is going over pea gravel with weed barrier underneath.

The irrigation is going to be in the sod area and in the beds to feed the shrubs.

Sod last for sure.

BostonBull
04-24-2009, 09:10 PM
I wouldnt put fabric under mulch for a few reasons. I doesnt allow proper oxygen intot he rootzones, doesnt alow Organic matter to be introduced into the soil, and wont allow worms and other beneficials out of the soil into the mulch.

If you have the proper layer of mulch weeds will be minimal, if at all. I woud add 2" of compost to the planting beds as a top dressing and then 2" of mulch on top of that.

Avoid using rocks as mulch. The have zero water retention, and they heat up in the summer heat making the beds a sauna for the roots of plants.

This would be my order:
1. bed edging (then your not wasting time putting soil where it doesnt need to be)
2. 20 yards of soil
2a. 2" Compost for beds, and 1" to topdress soil for sod roots
3. irrigation
4. fabric / shrubs / trees
5. rock / mulch
6. flagstone
7. post for fence
8. fence
9. Sod (Do last so its not getting trampled and tore up easy enough to cut around edging and flagstone)

I am by no means a Landscaper, or Designer!