PDA

View Full Version : Lazer Z Demo Tomorrow

GravelyGuy
04-22-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm picking up an 09 "next" Lazer Z in the morning for demo. I'm pretty excited. I know all the usual things to look out for like cut quality (clipping spread), handling hills, comfort, etc. Anything I should look out for specifically with this new machine? I've yet to see anyone running one around town yet. It's all JD and Scag around here.

tacoma200
04-23-2009, 02:07 AM
I'm picking up an 09 "next" Lazer Z in the morning for demo. I'm pretty excited. I know all the usual things to look out for like cut quality (clipping spread), handling hills, comfort, etc. Anything I should look out for specifically with this new machine? I've yet to see anyone running one around town yet. It's all JD and Scag around here.

Run it in some saturated overgrown Spring growth and give us a report on cut, clumping, build up, etc. How do the integrated hydraulics feel?

ALC-GregH
04-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Demo a Scag too and you'll probably change your mind. :)

Linder'sLawnCare
04-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Save your back and go with FERRIS:clapping::clapping::clapping: Exmark is good, but look at preventable mainence, such as greasable spindle. Ferris and Exmark use Kaw and hydrogear products. I am in awe of my Ferris. Scag is good too. Read my review of scag vs ferris http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=269114&page=6

SMALLTIME22
04-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Run ferris in the spring north of TN/KY. Just too much for that deck. But at least the ride would be smooth while laying clumps!!!!

mhussey
04-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Save your back and go with FERRIS:clapping::clapping::clapping: Exmark is good, but look at preventable mainence, such as greasable spindle.

I thought the new Series 6 Ultracut has greasable spindles. However, I just looked at the website and found this isn't true. Hmm, could have swore I read somewhere that the spindles were greaseable.

tacoma200
04-23-2009, 02:17 PM
I thought the new Series 6 Ultracut has greasable spindles. However, I just looked at the website and found this isn't true. Hmm, could have swore I read somewhere that the spindles were greaseable.

It's been a long time since Exmark had grease-able spindles. Anyway the new video shows non grease-able. Even my 05 had non grease-able

bryansong
04-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Is that a bad thing? I think I woud rather be able to greese spindle since there is so much energy in there. I think the eXmark guy says that kind of the way the industry is going. Looking at the Tiger's greeseable spindles yesterday, I think their way is better on that one.
I am probably saying that because I just bought a new greese gun from Sears. Maybe my inner-self longs to use it.

Bryan

puppypaws
04-23-2009, 05:08 PM

I think you will like everything about the mower, the new "isolation" seat is suppose to give an extremely good ride. This is an 11.5 mph mower which would put you into a high productivity range. This is a totally new designed mower except for the UltraCut deck, the only change made to the deck was the spindle assembly on the Triton deck was installed. This means the cutting housing on the series 6 has a 7.75"-diameter, whereas the series 4 housing was 5.40" in diameter.

There could possibly be a few bugs to work out on a totally new designed mower, but you would never know this until they are run in the field for a period of time.

I don't know which one they will bring you to demo but if I were buying one, it would be with the 34 hp Kawasaki, that would be a cutting machine.

blake2727
04-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Save your back and go with FERRIS:clapping::clapping::clapping: Exmark is good, but look at preventable mainence, such as greasable spindle. Ferris and Exmark use Kaw and hydrogear products. I am in awe of my Ferris. Scag is good too. Read my review of scag vs ferris http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=269114&page=6

I looked at the ferris before I bought my grasshopper and didn't care for them very much. There were probably three or four other mowers besides my grasshopper that I would have bought before the ferris. They just look kind of cheap made and look to have to many unnecessary parts that could tear up. Let me know when that ferris goes down cause I want to see if the scags, exmarks, and grasshoppers are still running strong (I bet they are).

Linder'sLawnCare
04-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Is that a bad thing? I think I woud rather be able to greese spindle since there is so much energy in there. I think the eXmark guy says that kind of the way the industry is going. Looking at the Tiger's greeseable spindles yesterday, I think their way is better on that one.
I am probably saying that because I just bought a new greese gun from Sears. Maybe my inner-self longs to use it.

Bryan

Think about it like this, the blades are spinning around 18,500 feet per second. That is a lot of revolutions. Grease is essential for moving parts. My dad has been in the heavy machinery field for years and stands firm on greasable parts vs. non greasable. Correct me if I am wrong, but you do grease the exmark spindles once a year right?

grassman177
04-23-2009, 09:15 PM
waiting for the results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

puppypaws
04-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Think about it like this, the blades are spinning around 18,500 feet per second. That is a lot of revolutions. Grease is essential for moving parts. My dad has been in the heavy machinery field for years and stands firm on greasable parts vs. non greasable. Correct me if I am wrong, but you do grease the exmark spindles once a year right?

No greasing Exmark spindles, they have double row sealed bearings.

nosparkplugs
04-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Each to their own brand of ZTR, On the greaseable vs sealed spindle debate both have pro's & con's. I have owned several different brands of ZTR's and they all have been greaseable spindles and we never truely kept up with greasing the spindle's all the time, I had zero spindle failures too, so IMO grease is not the holy grail of lubricants. Also one less grease zerk to worry about is OK in my book when you own several ZTR's, and the industry is going to sealed bearings, but their are still ZTR manufacture's embracing the greaseable spindle if you must have that . After logging some hours on the BB AOS diesel with sealed spindles I would reccommend them to anyone their nice, and I would not overlook a ZTR because of sealed/greaseless spindles either. The fact something is sealed does not mean it's a POS design it is usually engineered like that for a reason.

cutterschoice24
04-23-2009, 09:57 PM
hey there i just bought the next lazer z i bought the 48 model with the 23 kohler and it stripes and cuts better than my scagg and it has no rollers or a striping kit i do have a full mulch kit on it though I'm loving this mower i have always been a scagg man but this mower changed my mind what an awesome machine.One thing i did notice is that mowing on more than a 15 degree slope does feel like in could come over on you going straight up and down scared me anyways other than that love the mower.Matt

WildLake
04-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I demoed one today and for tomorrow. I love it compared to my standard lazers. I will likely buy two of them. My dealer said that this next model has been around for almost 10 years across the country in use by various companys. Over that time, many changes were made in order to achieve the best finished product.

More powerful hydros
Super responsive
Very fast
Much more stable across hills.
As tipsy going up hills or trailer gate.
Some how it damages less turf when making tight turns around tree rings.
Cuts equal but probably better than previous ultra cuts.
The upgrade seat is awesome. Dampens in all directions.

It was a 29/60

Gotta Go

tacoma200
04-23-2009, 11:45 PM
hey there i just bought the next lazer z i bought the 48 model with the 23 kohler and it stripes and cuts better than my scagg and it has no rollers or a striping kit i do have a full mulch kit on it though I'm loving this mower i have always been a scagg man but this mower changed my mind what an awesome machine.One thing i did notice is that mowing on more than a 15 degree slope does feel like in could come over on you going straight up and down scared me anyways other than that love the mower.Matt

Wow! 15 degrees is consider flat ground here. Water won't even run off.

No seriously we live on low plateau west of the mountains and it is very uneven. The land rolls and then may drop off several hundred feet into a river or lake. A strait stretch in the road or a level lot is a rarity. I've rolled a push mower more than once.

tacoma200
04-23-2009, 11:52 PM

Bryan

Both will last a long time usually. If properly serviced a erasable spindle will usually out last a non greasable spindle. Exmark explained to me that the sealed spindles will last a very long time, and they were having trouble with people over greasing the older style. This is a strong selling point (less maintenance) and most people will sell or trade before this becomes an issue. You treat sealed spindles as disposable, run them till they quit and replace them. To be honest I haven't heard many complaints on the sealed spindles. If they wear out replace them and treat it as the cost of doing business. That's my take.

I also believe the industry is heading toward convenience over long lasting. Just think if your a running crew and instead of paying them to service the ZTR they jump on and start mowing every morning. This make you more productive and makes you more money (probably more than enough to pay for spindles). But I would put the Scags spindles above them in longevity.

GravelyGuy
04-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Here's a quick review: 29 Kawi/60" Ultracut 6 Series

I put 5.5 hours on the machine today.

The mower is designed well, the castor layout and deck placement make the trim side of the mower very usable and cut down on trim time a bunch compared to my Gravely. The left castor of my 260Z almost lines up with the left side of the deck. I also like that they made it so you can feather the deck all the way to the up position without it locking into place. This makes cutting around obstacles/uneven ground easy.

The cut was excellent, it really couldn't be any better. Dispersed the clipping very well. Plenty of power with the 29 HP. I was actually amazed at the cut, I can't say enough, wow!:clapping:

The mower was impressive on hills. No comparison to my 260Z. It stuck even in damp conditions.

The all new Exmark seat was pretty decent. It wasn't as good as the full suspension seats, but it was much better that just a regular seat. The padding is nice.

My only complaint and a pretty serious one for me. I found the hydros kind of jerky at times. I had to focus much more to make the mower track straight than I'm used to. I also thought that the control arms were kind of a bear to work with especially backing up. You have to pull them pretty hard. By the end of the day my arms were starting to really not like them.

I was quoted $9,999.00 for this mower. Does this sound about right? They also had a new 07 Lazer Z with the Kubota diesel for $12,000.00. THey want to get rid of it so they may come down even more. It has the Triton deck on it. The delaer swore that the Triton was just as good as the Ultra Cut, but they don't have any Triton demos for me to try.

Anyone close to me want to show me what a Triton can do???

mowerknower
04-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Really though, has anyone had a bearing go out on a triton deck spindle. The old exmark spindles were crap but the triton ones seem good. I see units with over 1000 hours and bearings are still tight and quiet.

Linder'sLawnCare
04-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Gravelyguy, I am not an exmark owner but a Ferris owner. I would put a lot of thought into the kubota diesel. A diesel will last soooooo much longer than gas. The ferris with the Cat says engine expectancy is 6000 hrs. That is a lot of money to be made in 6000 hrs. I would feel good about mine if it got 2500 hrs. Have you put any interest into Ferris? My saying is "save your butt, switch to Ferris". Kinda cheesy but oh well

GravelyGuy
04-24-2009, 12:18 AM
Gravelyguy, I am not an exmark owner but a Ferris owner. I would put a lot of thought into the kubota diesel. A diesel will last soooooo much longer than gas. The ferris with the Cat says engine expectancy is 6000 hrs. That is a lot of money to be made in 6000 hrs. I would feel good about mine if it got 2500 hrs. Have you put any interest into Ferris? My saying is "save your butt, switch to Ferris". Kinda cheesy but oh well

I'm coming from crappy dealer support and slow parts network with Gravely. This is why I really want to stick with JD, Exmark, or Scag. They will keep you running. This dealer is actually a Ferris dealer also, maybe I should look closer.

Linder'sLawnCare
04-24-2009, 12:22 AM
I'm coming from crappy dealer support and slow parts network with Gravely. This is why I really want to stick with JD, Exmark, or Scag. They will keep you running. This dealer is actually a Ferris dealer also, maybe I should look closer.

I say demo the Ferris and you will have a different attitude about it after the ride. I sure did. I was using a 61" scag and a huge difference in ride but no difference in cut. Some argue other way. is the Exmark dealer a Ferris dealer too?

nosparkplugs
04-24-2009, 12:23 AM
It all depends on application, me I switched to diesel becuase I do mainly commercial work, and was just not getting enough out of the gasoline powered ZTR's. Diesel ZTR's are heavier, but are soo much better if you have the accounts to take them. If your doing lots of commercial work, and have some large residentials to take the weight of the diesel I would take the Lazer Z diesel. If you have a back-up thats even more reason to take the big diesel at a discount too.

I put 5.5 hours on the machine today.

The mower is designed well, the castor layout and deck placement make the trim side of the mower very usable and cut down on trim time a bunch compared to my Gravely. The left castor of my 260Z almost lines up with the left side of the deck. I also like that they made it so you can feather the deck all the way to the up position without it locking into place. This makes cutting around obstacles/uneven ground easy.

The cut was excellent, it really couldn't be any better. Dispersed the clipping very well. Plenty of power with the 29 HP. I was actually amazed at the cut, I can't say enough, wow!:clapping:

The mower was impressive on hills. No comparison to my 260Z. It stuck even in damp conditions.

The all new Exmark seat was pretty decent. It wasn't as good as the full suspension seats, but it was much better that just a regular seat. The padding is nice.

My only complaint and a pretty serious one for me. I found the hydros kind of jerky at times. I had to focus much more to make the mower track straight than I'm used to. I also thought that the control arms were kind of a bear to work with especially backing up. You have to pull them pretty hard. By the end of the day my arms were starting to really not like them.

I was quoted $9,999.00 for this mower. Does this sound about right? They also had a new 07 Lazer Z with the Kubota diesel for $12,000.00. THey want to get rid of it so they may come down even more. It has the Triton deck on it. The delaer swore that the Triton was just as good as the Ultra Cut, but they don't have any Triton demos for me to try.

Anyone close to me want to show me what a Triton can do???

GravelyGuy
04-24-2009, 12:23 AM
The dealer that I demoed the Exmark from sells Ferris and Husqvarna also.

tacoma200
04-24-2009, 12:24 AM
I am not trying to be negative because I'm an Exmark fan. Am I the only one that looks at this mower and it seems kind of "toy like". It looks like a consumer ZTR at first glance. Looks are deceiving and I'm not insinuating it's not built well, maybe it's all the plastic, maybe it's the thin looking metal, I'm not sure. It doesn't seem as beefy as the older Exmark. Of course getting in the seat and using it might change ones mind.

GravelyGuy
04-24-2009, 12:26 AM
It all depends on application, me I switched to diesel becuase I do mainly commercial work, and was just not getting enough out of the gasoline powered ZTR's. Diesel ZTR's are heavier, but are soo much better if you have the accounts to take them. If your doing lots of commercial work, and have some large residentials to take the weight of the diesel I would take the Lazer Z diesel. If you have a back-up thats even more reason to take the big diesel at a discount too.

All residential this year. The machine would only get about 500 hrs per year so I think diesel would be overkill and may get me into trouble in soggy lawns, but I really like it:cry:

Linder'sLawnCare
04-24-2009, 12:28 AM
The dealer will help you out. A spin in the parking lot will be enough to feel the suspension. I have the 1500z and it is said to be the ruff-est of the fleet b/c it is not true independent suspension. Just demo Ferris and see what you think. YOU are the one spending money, not anyone else so be wise. That is the approach I took.

Linder'sLawnCare
04-24-2009, 12:29 AM
i know someone that did all res. with kubota diesel ztr and never had a problem. I am talking about south Louisiana too!

Crazy Cutter
04-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Really though, has anyone had a bearing go out on a triton deck spindle. The old exmark spindles were crap but the triton ones seem good. I see units with over 1000 hours and bearings are still tight and quiet.

How do the Triton's perform up here in the NW on our grasses?

MJB
04-24-2009, 02:13 AM

Yah, Mine have only lasted 3800 hrs so far. I'm probably gonna have to replace them some day...junk for sure! All my greasable spindles failed long before the sealed ones. Of course I don't mow concrete maybe thats why the Exmark spindles have only lasted this long.

tacoma200
04-24-2009, 02:24 AM
Yah, Mine have only lasted 3800 hrs so far. I'm probably gonna have to replace them some day...junk for sure! All my greasable spindles failed long before the sealed ones. Of course I don't mow concrete maybe thats why the Exmark spindles have only lasted this long.

That's actually pretty amazing. I do mow concrete every now and then though. I hit a meter like nosparkplugs did with the Exmark though and it never gave any problem. Stopped the 27 Kohler in it's tracks.

cutterschoice24
04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
I think your getting a great deal on the mower mine set me back 9,600 for a 48 with 23 kohler and a full mulch kit most admit that i love the mower i also notice that it does not leave much a foot print on the grass so I'm loving it I've never heard anything good about the trition decks but that's just my opinion i' demoed one of the old ones and did not like it good luck.

puppypaws
04-24-2009, 06:13 PM
That's actually pretty amazing. I do mow concrete every now and then though. I hit a meter like nosparkplugs did with the Exmark though and it never gave any problem. Stopped the 27 Kohler in it's tracks.

Tacoma, I am in Louisville, Ky looking at the beautiful blue grass. Lexington was very unique when I drove through looking at the amazing horse farms. The grass on these farms is very well maintained; along with the barns and stables. I am looking forward to seeing Churchill Downs, I know it will be truly amazing. There are more people in this area for the Kentucky Derby festival than I believe I've ever seen. I truly love your state and take it to look about the same where you live in the southern part.

tacoma200
04-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Tacoma, I am in Louisville, Ky looking at the beautiful blue grass. Lexington was very unique when I drove through looking at the amazing horse farms. The grass on these farms is very well maintained; along with the barns and stables. I am looking forward to seeing Churchill Downs, I know it will be truly amazing. There are more people in this area for the Kentucky Derby festival than I believe I've ever seen. I truly love your state and take it to look about the same where you live in the southern part.

My area is rolling farmland much like the Lexington area but not hardly as nice and manicured. The central part of the state where most of the horse farms is is truly beautiful even though they had a severe ice storm this Winter (missed us thankfully). Our soil is red and yellow, not hardly as fertile as the limestone loamy soil of the Bluegrass area, we probably have more in common with Tennessee than Kentucky. More cattle than horses in this part.

I really hope you enjoy your stay with us. Enjoy the scenery and let us know what you think.:) Enjoy!

GravelyGuy
04-24-2009, 10:07 PM
I dropped the demo off this morning and I talked for a while with the guy. Seems like a great dealer. They promise quick repairs and offer commercial loaners.

I offered them cash to see if they would budge on the price and they would only knock $100 off for cash. Is $10,000 and good price or $9900 cash?

I think I'm going to stear clear of the diesel and the Triton right now, although, they swear I would like the Triton.

MJB
04-25-2009, 01:09 AM

I forget some of you guys mow 1 ft tall grass and whatever might be hidden in it. I turn down most of those jobs up here because they are so dry and dusty the weeds are 4 ft tall. Not much grass. Everything else is irrigated because we hardly ever see raindrops in the spring and summer in this area.
Yea that old Exmark I bought in 99 is still mowing 2 or 3 days per week and doing a great job. Hope it lasts another 2 yrs then I can look at new mowers again. I still would like to demo a Scag and a Badboy, but thats almost impossible here. The Scag dealer doesn't stock any Scags anymore, pushes Hustler and Kubota.

Crazy Cutter
04-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I still would like to demo a Scag and a Badboy, but thats almost impossible here. The Scag dealer doesn't stock any Scags anymore, pushes Hustler and Kubota.

Adams Tractor right? I have the same issue.

tacoma200
04-25-2009, 04:41 PM
I forget some of you guys mow 1 ft tall grass and whatever might be hidden in it. I turn down most of those jobs up here because they are so dry and dusty the weeds are 4 ft tall. Not much grass. Everything else is irrigated because we hardly ever see raindrops in the spring and summer in this area.
Yea that old Exmark I bought in 99 is still mowing 2 or 3 days per week and doing a great job. Hope it lasts another 2 yrs then I can look at new mowers again. I still would like to demo a Scag and a Badboy, but thats almost impossible here. The Scag dealer doesn't stock any Scags anymore, pushes Hustler and Kubota.

Yes it's pretty rough here, I have seen about a dozen ZTR's stuck in steep area's this year (some twice on the same day). Lot's of rocks near the surface of our soil so if you excavate a lot for a home you bring them to the surface. Almost every home and business has ditches, some can only be cut with a trimmer. There is a white cross at the K-mart where a guy got to close to the edge and flipped. Ditches along the road, in front of homes, businesses is just the norm here. Rock nicks in my blades are problem.

As nice as your lawns are Exmark seems like a great choice. We get about 60 inches of rain a year, maybe that's why we have all the ditches. We have had so much rain this spring they are having to repair the shoulders on most roads.

puppypaws
04-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Yes it's pretty rough here, I have seen about a dozen ZTR's stuck in steep area's this year (some twice on the same day). Lot's of rocks near the surface of our soil so if you excavate a lot for a home you bring them to the surface. Almost every home and business has ditches, some can only be cut with a trimmer. There is a white cross at the K-mart where a guy got to close to the edge and flipped. Ditches along the road, in front of homes, businesses is just the norm here. Rock nicks in my blades are problem.

As nice as your lawns are Exmark seems like a great choice. We get about 60 inches of rain a year, maybe that's why we have all the ditches. We have had so much rain this spring they are having to repair the shoulders on most roads.

Last night they had the lighting of the hot air balloons for the race today (it was put off until tomorrow because of high winds), it was really an unbelievable sight. You have a large number of balloons (don't know how many), that glow in the dark with all different designs which are truly beautiful. There was expected to be over 60,000 people there, I don't know how many came, but it was people than I had ever seen walk into an event.

We put a 2000 lb bucking bull named "Lightning Strike" on display and the crowd went wild, everyone wanted to look at the bull. We had a champion professional bullfighter autographing pictures of himself and he ran out because there were so many girls and children wanting them.

The bull would ram the trailer occasionally and scare the people to death, the girls would scream and it was funny to watch their reaction to 2000 lbs of raging Brahma. I met a large number of very nice Kentuckians and really enjoyed talking with them.

Bad Boy mowers are one of our sponsors and have a large number of mowers; along their new electric utility vehicles on display. The Bad Boy logo banner looks really good on the bucking shoot gate and around Freedom Hall Arena.
Their company is selling mowers and generating profit which in return allows them to enter into more marketing venues.

Well, I'm going to get dressed an go mingle with the nice people of Kentucky at the first "Kentucky Derby Xtreme Rodeo."

MJB
04-26-2009, 02:01 AM
Adams Tractor right? I have the same issue.

Right, Great service just wrong mowers IMO.

cybervision
04-27-2009, 05:15 PM

Did you check to see if you can still adjust the dampers? On the now "old Lazer" the dampers could be adjusted into 3 diferent holes. My Lazer was delivered with the dampers in the hole that made them the hardest to move. After adjusting to the middle hole the sticks were much better. Hopefully Exmark still has this feature.

WildLake
04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
They still have three holes.

mowtech
04-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Both will last a long time usually. If properly serviced a erasable spindle will usually out last a non greasable spindle. Exmark explained to me that the sealed spindles will last a very long time, and they were having trouble with people over greasing the older style. This is a strong selling point (less maintenance) and most people will sell or trade before this becomes an issue. You treat sealed spindles as disposable, run them till they quit and replace them. To be honest I haven't heard many complaints on the sealed spindles. If they wear out replace them and treat it as the cost of doing business. That's my take.

I also believe the industry is heading toward convenience over long lasting. Just think if your a running crew and instead of paying them to service the ZTR they jump on and start mowing every morning. This make you more productive and makes you more money (probably more than enough to pay for spindles). But I would put the Scags spindles above them in longevity.

I would agree with Tacoma. The advantage of the non-greasable design is the elimination of maintenance. On the other hand, one of the big killers of spindle bearings is dirt. Greasable designs are generally made so that greasing actually flushes dirt out of the bearings; hence, if they are greasable you need to grease them regularly for this to work properly. The key to non-greasable spindles is how good the seals are as the longer they keep dirt out, the longer the bearings will last. Generally, surveys show that there is about a fifty fifty split between those that prefer greasable versus non-greasable.

GravelyGuy
04-27-2009, 07:54 PM
They still have three holes.

I didn't check. Are you saying the 09 is adjustable?

puppypaws
04-27-2009, 09:09 PM
I would agree with Tacoma. The advantage of the non-greasable design is the elimination of maintenance. On the other hand, one of the big killers of spindle bearings is dirt. Greasable designs are generally made so that greasing actually flushes dirt out of the bearings; hence, if they are greasable you need to grease them regularly for this to work properly. The key to non-greasable spindles is how good the seals are as the longer they keep dirt out, the longer the bearings will last. Generally, surveys show that there is about a fifty fifty split between those that prefer greasable versus non-greasable.

This is very correct information. I have 39 50" fans in my poultry houses, they came with sealed bearings that lasted an unbelievably long time. As the bearings eventually went out we replaced them with greaseable bearings. These fans are run 24 hrs. a day for several weeks at the time in extremely dusty conditions. I noticed very quickly the greased bearings were failing more quickly, some within a year of installation, one within 3 months.

I began to think, this is going to be a problem if they are not greased everyday, and it will not be something easily remembered. I've had sealed and greasable bearings in combines for years; that run in very dusty conditions continuously. I greased the combine everyday and this kept the dust and dirt flushed out. This meant the greased bearings gave very little trouble, but so did the sealed bearings as well. The sealed bearings would get dust inside the seal eventually and go out, but lasted a very long time.

The sealed bearings last a very long time, and I actually prefer them. The greaseable bearings will also last if you keep clean grease inside and full to the point of keeping dirt from infiltrating.

tacoma200
04-27-2009, 10:19 PM
This is very correct information. I have 39 50" fans in my poultry houses, they came with sealed bearings that lasted an unbelievably long time. As the bearings eventually went out we replaced them with greaseable bearings. These fans are run 24 hrs. a day for several weeks at the time in extremely dusty conditions. I noticed very quickly the greased bearings were failing more quickly, some within a year of installation, one within 3 months.

I began to think, this is going to be a problem if they are not greased everyday, and it will not be something easily remembered. I've had sealed and greasable bearings in combines for years; that run in very dusty conditions continuously. I greased the combine everyday and this kept the dust and dirt flushed out. This meant the greased bearings gave very little trouble, but so did the sealed bearings as well. The sealed bearings would get dust inside the seal eventually and go out, but lasted a very long time.

The sealed bearings last a very long time, and I actually prefer them. The greaseable bearings will also last if you keep clean grease inside and full to the point of keeping dirt from infiltrating.

That is interesting, I suppose the trend will continue to be toward sealed bearings.

lifetree
04-27-2009, 10:31 PM
That is interesting, I suppose the trend will continue to be toward sealed bearings.

Probably !!

puppypaws
04-27-2009, 10:45 PM

I think you are correct and know from experience a very well made, heavy duty bearing with a good seal, will last longer than most people can believe.
This is not to say you want get one occasionally made slightly out of tolerance that can go out in a few months, but then again you can get anything man-made that may be a lemon. That is what comes with dealing with machinery at times.

tacoma200
04-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I think you are correct and know from experience a very well made, heavy duty bearing with a good seal, will last longer than most people can believe.
This is not to say you want get one occasionally made slightly out of tolerance that can go out in a few months, but then again you can get anything man-made that may be a lemon. That is what comes with dealing with machinery at times.

Nosparkplugs and I have hit water meters that were hidden in the grass with sealed bearing with no apparent damage. I'm impressed, theoretically I just figured the grease-able bearing would last longer but I may be wrong (convenience is worth a lot) There doesn't seem to be anything to grease under an auto anymore, but they last a long time.

puppypaws
04-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Nosparkplugs and I have hit water meters that were hidden in the grass with sealed bearing with no apparent damage. I'm impressed, theoretically I just figured the grease-able bearing would last longer but I may be wrong (convenience is worth a lot) There doesn't seem to be anything to grease under an auto anymore, but they last a long time.

Yes, you can take my word, they will last extremely well, and I can attest to this from a great deal of experience with both. I think "MJB's" 3800 hr experience with the same sealed bearings is about all the testimony a persons need to hear. I can promise you would be lucky to ever see a greased spindle bearing last anywhere near that length of time.

Oh, I meant to tell you and forgot, the people in Louisville, Ky were probably the nicest people I've been associated with. The hospitality could not be surpassed by any state I've visited, or the one I live in. Everyone was unbelievable, and being around the Kentucky Derby atmosphere was truly amazing.

lifetree
04-30-2009, 10:14 PM
... I think "MJB's" 3800 hr experience with the same sealed bearings is about all the testimony a persons need to hear. ...

I agree, this is compelling testimony to the longevity of sealed bearings !!

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-01-2009, 11:50 PM
i like my lazer 34 with the ultra cut thats all i gots to say!

tacoma200
05-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Yes, you can take my word, they will last extremely well, and I can attest to this from a great deal of experience with both. I think "MJB's" 3800 hr experience with the same sealed bearings is about all the testimony a persons need to hear. I can promise you would be lucky to ever see a greased spindle bearing last anywhere near that length of time.

Oh, I meant to tell you and forgot, the people in Louisville, Ky were probably the nicest people I've been associated with. The hospitality could not be surpassed by any state I've visited, or the one I live in. Everyone was unbelievable, and being around the Kentucky Derby atmosphere was truly amazing.

Your right, MJB's experience says a lot. Plus he has had no problem with that Kawasaki that I know of. He seems to take good care of his equipment.

I'm really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us in the "Bluegrass State". I drive by those horse farms in Lexington and I'm still in awe of how beautiful and well maintained they are. There are miles of the old rock fences if you got a chance to see them. Thanks for the comments!:)