PDA

View Full Version : Tips on keeping beds clean after shrub trimming?

Petr51488
04-23-2009, 12:46 AM
As this title states... anyone have any tips on keeping the beds clean after trimming them? I use mesh tarps, but that gets annoying fast. Its also a pain to spend more time cleaning the beds then it does actually cutting the shrubs.

topsites
04-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Yeah I somewhat dislike that part of it too, which doesn't help.
Idk man, I just rake it out and blow it out best I can, seems for every 5 minutes of trimming there's 20 of cleanup
and then I can't ever get everything out of there either.

The below excludes what we're talking about (rake and blower and tarp):

Cover with mulch afterward looks good, thou this does cost but a few customers go for it.

Depending on location, I've blown / raked it into the grass and then went ahead and mowed the lawn,
mulching the stuff saves time and money but it doesn't work for every customer, some are ok with it.
Other times it is possible to leave it there, but again it's very situation specific.

Any other ideas I'm all ears too.

nosparkplugs
04-23-2009, 01:41 AM
What about the Garden Groom Electric hedge trimmer System:):rolleyes::laugh:

xtreem3d
04-23-2009, 03:12 AM
stihl and echo make a hand held "shredder /vac"...fwiw

jeffex
04-23-2009, 07:29 AM
rake back a layer of mulch before you trim. blow the debris out of the beds after trimming and rake or blow a clean layer of mulch back in to place. On foundation beds I rake the mulch away from the house and blow the debris towards the house and then out one side. Canvas painters tarps work better than mesh tarps due to flexibility but still are a pain.

AA+ landscaping
04-23-2009, 11:17 AM
I got a littlewonder vac. I think it will work great for picking up all trimed bushes. I got the hose kit it worked get for clean up leaves in beds.

ALC-GregH
04-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I keep hearing "blow" the debris out of the beds. Every time I've blown into the beds, it blows mulch all over as well and just thins out the debris. If I continue it will blow the mulch into the grass. Any tips on this? Tarping each bush like your a barber can take some time to deal with.

The mayor
04-23-2009, 11:34 AM
We use leaf rake and some light blowing with the handheld. Works decent...not perfect. I am sure there is a better way.

Merlin300
04-23-2009, 11:52 AM
You can laugh if you want but, 3gal empty plant containers side by side touching catches ALOT of clippings. Dump them in a wheel barrow when full. It does not catch all of them, and only works on the taller shrubs. It does keep clean up to a minimum.

larryinalabama
04-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Im interested in a hand leaf vac would it work?

david shumaker
04-23-2009, 07:16 PM
rake back a layer of mulch before you trim. blow the debris out of the beds after trimming and rake or blow a clean layer of mulch back in to place. On foundation beds I rake the mulch away from the house and blow the debris towards the house and then out one side. Canvas painters tarps work better than mesh tarps due to flexibility but still are a pain.

Good idea. I'm going to try it.

hockeypro1411
04-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Dig the shrubs out and replace them with smaller ones.

1993lx172
04-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Rake the mulch back and then rake or blow the trimmings out into the yard then run over the trimmings with a push mower with a bagger.

Petr51488
04-23-2009, 08:17 PM
The only problem i see with raking the mulch back is that it will be a brighter color in that one area where the shrub is from moving the mulch around. Same as if you put fresh mulch down in that area. I usually blow what i can out on the lawn and suck it up with a mower.

txgrassguy
04-23-2009, 09:08 PM
A couple of tips -
I have trained the crews to "cast" the hedge trimmer when cutting so a majority of the debris is flung onto the turf in front of the bed. Just watch your surroundings.
The plant container works well for the smaller shrubs - I cut them about half way down on two sides to open the container so it catches more debris.
Then follow up with the hand held blower/vacuum.
Then I apply Cutlass so I don't have to trim again for almost four months.

Petr51488
04-23-2009, 09:56 PM
A couple of tips -
I have trained the crews to "cast" the hedge trimmer when cutting so a majority of the debris is flung onto the turf in front of the bed. Just watch your surroundings.
The plant container works well for the smaller shrubs - I cut them about half way down on two sides to open the container so it catches more debris.
Then follow up with the hand held blower/vacuum.
Then I apply Cutlass so I don't have to trim again for almost four months.

Why do that when you get paid to trim them? Thats like putting down growth stimulator on grass so you dont have to cut lol