PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy 2 Husq 125BT Blowers

wyoming lawn service
04-23-2009, 01:00 AM
I work at Lowe's in addition to my new lawn business. I have the opportunity to buy 2 Husq 125BT blowers. One new in the box for $152 + tax. The second is a display that is missing the spark plug end. I could probably talk them down to 50-60 if I took them both. Should I do this? My brother works with me. So having two backpack blowers would be nice.

Is this little backpack strong enough to do leaves in the fall?

I figured I could get the two 125BT's for less than I could get a 2007 RedMax that I found on craigslist for $250. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Pennington Lawncare
04-23-2009, 07:10 AM
I have been using one of those blowers for a few years now and it's a reliable blower but, it doesn't blow much harder than any hand held I've ever used. If I were buying a blower solely to move leaves with I'd keep on looking. I'm in the market for a larger back pack blower just because my 125 isn't as powerful as I want it to be.

wyoming lawn service
04-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Now that makes for a tough decision. Great deal vs. LOTS of leafs in Ohio ha ha ha.

Allens LawnCare
04-23-2009, 09:02 AM
I'd buy them both, if they're new and your getting a great deal.....SELL them and buy 1 bigger blower

kaferhaus
04-23-2009, 10:01 AM
first response was correct, no better than a hand held. I'd pass on them entirely. Trying to sell them at a profit might be "iffy" and then you're stuck with them.

Ronniecoleman
04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
I would buy them both, keep them until fall and sell one and buy a larger blower for leaves then.

IHusky
04-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Get the one thats missing the spark plug for now if you can get it cheap like you said. Pass on the regular priced one. In the fall get the big blower for leaves and keep the one you got for real cheap. Now you will have a big blower and a little one as a back up. Keep the $159 in the bank and then use twards the big blower in the fall. I don't think the resale on those blowers is going to be too good. Good luck.

Merlin300
04-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Get the one thats missing the spark plug for now if you can get it cheap like you said. Pass on the regular priced one. In the fall get the big blower for leaves and keep the one you got for real cheap. Now you will have a big blower and a little one as a back up. Keep the $159 in the bank and then use twards the big blower in the fall. I don't think the resale on those blowers is going to be too good. Good luck.

^^^This is the right answer.

wyoming lawn service
04-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the responses. When i got to work today the new one in the box was sold. I decided to pass on the display. After much thinking I decided to get a Troy-Bilt 4 cycle BP. Less to worry about mixing gas, quiet. We use this one everyday in our garden centers with much success. While not the most powerful one on the market it does put out 475cfm which is MUCH more than the Husq 311cfm's. I fired it up tonight, while its not super powerful it will defiently speed up my daily blowing. Hope I get some life out of it. I do not have many accounts and probably won't for sometime so I think quality wise it will last for some years. I have the goal to pay cash for all my equipment and with my business model this was just a smarter move. I kept feeling like i would regret the small Husq and lose money in the end.

Thanks! oh and let the flamming begin! Again I'm a low budget start u

p and WAY WAY WAY to smart to take out thousands of dollars in loans on what is a PART TIME company startup. One day I hope to make the transition to full-time but there are a LOT of small hurdles to jump before that time comes. IE company has cash on hand, NO debt, quality commercial equipment! This day will come and I plan on being here for years to come, but the smart debt free way.

Jason Rose
04-23-2009, 08:44 PM
I'd have bought the husqvarna. But not as a backpack. Just get the handheld model, same size, if you want a small blower. A handheld is crazy efficient for blowing off clippings after mowing etc. They stink for leaves though. I mean, they "work" but if you ever run a REAL man sized backpack blower you won't know why you didn't buy one sooner. Yes, they cost almost $500, but the TIME they save in the end is worth that after a season of use.

TheLawnRangerLLC
04-23-2009, 09:35 PM
wyoming lawn service if your looking for good blowers for leaves here in cincy, then check out Dr. Mills Mowers. It is in milford, but Walt the owner is a good guy. Tell him The Lawn Ranger sent ya, and he will take care of you. You can get your self a blower that will take care of some serious leaves! Oh here is the phone # and address:

Dr. Mills Lawn Mower sales & Service
5490 Wold Pen rd
milford, OH 45150
513-831-2206

wyoming lawn service
04-23-2009, 10:57 PM
Jason- Thanks for the recommendation! I plan on adding a REAL man blower closer to the fall. The blower I bought and a nice commercial blower will work great this fall for my brother and I.

The Lawn Ranger- I will check out Dr. Mills! Means a lot to hear you get good service from them! What brands does he sell? The only dealer I have contact with is my Simplicity dealer down in Independence, KY. Milford isn't too far a drive for great service.

Oh and tonight I closed my first landscaping job! Probably underbid a little bit on the labor. But think I was dead on for the mulching. I cut a deal with the customer on the bush trimming and leaf clean up if they decided to go with the whole job.

I also have a customer that has a hillside clean up and a big retaining wall project that I am about to bid on. The retaining wall will be atleast $700-$900 in material and over a $1000 in labor. Things are starting off great and I am so excited for this year!

madisonpressurewashing
04-23-2009, 11:17 PM
What about Husq 150BT blowers?

wyoming lawn service
04-23-2009, 11:53 PM
We sell it at Lowe's. $299.99 retail. I can get it for $269.99 + tax.
I looked on Husq site last night about it. It is listed as "Landowner" model. The commercial ones they had listed we do not sell and were more money. Also the CFM that we listed at Lowe's for the 150BT was 692cfm. Husq site list is at only 494cfm.

wyoming lawn service
04-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Anyone know whats up with that?

TheLawnRangerLLC
04-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Wyoming- He has all stihl hand held equipment. I have a 150bt, and it is ok for grass clippings on sidewalks, however, in wyoming where I also do some clean ups, and anywhere in cincinnati for that matter, the 150bt doesn't quite have the muscle to move the leaves as fast as the BR 600 from stihl. I know, there two totally different blowers, but if your going to do some clean-ups, its best to have more power. Check him out, walt is a great guy and her wont try to pressure you into buying. He will help you find what you need, and he will let you demo it out in the yard. Good luck with everything!

wyoming lawn service
04-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks Ranger! Have a question for you? What does your company do in the winter for income? Eventually I would like to transition full-time but have concerns about Winter income in Cincy. Its not like we have snow all winter. Sometimes its almost non existent!

newz7151
04-25-2009, 02:29 AM
Anyone know whats up with that?

Yeah, Lowes is likely listing the Higher CFM at the engine to try and jink people in to buying it instead of the at the pipe CFM which is likely what the Husq. site is listing. Or, Lowes has no REAL idea about these things and shouldn't be selling "Outdoor Power Equipment" in the first place.

newz7151
04-25-2009, 02:32 AM
After much thinking I decided to get a Troy-Bilt 4 cycle BP. Less to worry about mixing gas, quiet. ........... Hope I get some life out of it. ........... I think quality wise it will last for some years. .......... this was just a smarter move. I kept feeling like i would regret the small Husq and lose money in the end.

I laughed so hard here, I think I may have crapped my pants and just can't smell it yet. :laugh: :cry: :laugh: :cry:

yardatwork
04-25-2009, 09:17 AM
I have one of these. They are light and comfortable to use. They work best for just blowing off dry grass clipping and small debris. They don't have a huge air speed (150 mph I think), but they do accomplish light duty work. If you can get them for the prices you say...go for it!

DT Lawn Care
04-25-2009, 05:58 PM
I laughed so hard here, I think I may have crapped my pants and just can't smell it yet. :laugh: :cry: :laugh: :cry:

Well, I didn't laugh quite that hard, but I agree:laugh: