PDA

View Full Version : how to handle my dealer?

terrypiper
04-23-2009, 11:15 AM
went to my mower, trimmer, blower, parts and accessories dealer a couple of weeks ago to buy to new trimmers. he said that he didnt have any in stock but would order me two. they call and say that they are in, with all the rain i am behind so hadnt had time to go in until yesterday. they only had one of my trimmers due to a customer being in the store and wanted one (which they did call me to check before selling to him i said no problem order me another one) i got my reciept for said trimmer retail is $299 he gave me $15 off of that but then charged me $10 for shipping. here is my question should i go to him and complain about the shipping charge on something he should have had in stock or just blow it off. if he gives me the same deal on the next one then i will get a total of $30 off retail but pay $20 in shipping so basically i am getting $10 off a $600 purchase. i know im not his biggest customer but not the smallest either. need your opinions, what would you do?

PLS-Tx
04-23-2009, 11:38 AM
I think it's not to smart of him to charge you shipping. Not if he wants to keep you as a customer, but I would not say anything about it. Not really worth it over $10 or $20.

Linder'sLawnCare
04-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Check to see if it was a mistake. I would be upset if my dealer did that.

terrypiper
04-23-2009, 11:52 AM
yea i am wondering if somebody messed up? i called another place that sells same brand and they were about $35 higher probably already had shipping figured in lol. i dont want to make waves but kind of a slap in the face to give me a discount then take it away with another charge. thanks for the input

Linder'sLawnCare
04-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I completely agree. I would ask if it was a standard thing to do, to add shipping charges. Hopefully it was a mistake.

betmr
04-23-2009, 01:12 PM
They charge me only for special orders, they always ask if I can wait for there next regular shipment, or do I want it special ordered. But they also know that I always ask about shipping charges, whenever something is'nt in stock. Remember this incident in the future.

Wizz
04-23-2009, 03:34 PM
He should not charge you for shipping...kinda shady imho. I'd drop him and use a dealer that has regular stock on hand, dealers by me have walls packed with hand-helds...I wouldn't use some chincy dealer that is to cheap to keep stock and then tries to charge shipping on top of that.

Littleriver1
04-23-2009, 07:38 PM
I have tried to pick up parts that were out of stock and said to call when the truck comes in. After about the 4th time I asked what was up. The truck has to come there every Wed. any way. What I need should have been there any way. I'm in on hurry. why should I pay shipping. Now, every time I have to wait for something I always say, Don't special order it, I'm not paying shiping. The problem is, now I'm afraid not to say it because if I have to complain after the fact, it might make me look like a PITA.

RTR Landscaping
04-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Is this a small dealer? I can understand being out of a certain model but you wanted two and he only ordered two? The dealer I go to is a large Scag, Stihl and Redmax dealer and he has never charged me freight on any equipment. It's HIS responsability to stock the product.On popular models, I use FS80 Stihls, he probably stocks 25 all the time.Same with Redmax.You didn't say if you had another dealer close by but this guy seems to need some competition.

terrypiper
04-24-2009, 12:20 AM
Is this a small dealer? I can understand being out of a certain model but you wanted two and he only ordered two? The dealer I go to is a large Scag, Stihl and Redmax dealer and he has never charged me freight on any equipment. It's HIS responsability to stock the product.On popular models, I use FS80 Stihls, he probably stocks 25 all the time.Same with Redmax.You didn't say if you had another dealer close by but this guy seems to need some competition.

i agree when he sold out of that model he should have already ordered replacement. he is one of the biggest dealers in topeka kansas. walker, cub cadet, snapper, shindiawa, echo, billygoat etc... has always treated me what i thought was very fair but this just didnt seem right to me. thanks for all the input, i feel a little better now that i have read some of the comments.

Nosmo
04-24-2009, 07:00 AM
In an accounting course 101 it is taught freight in is not an expense - it is part of the cost of merchandise. Freight out is an expense.

However the dealer should not have mentioned the freight in charges and should have just added the cost to the trimmer and then given any discount he wished to extend.

By the way the Federal Government agrees with the first paragraph. Any one who fills out a schedule C who is in a merchandising type business knows this.

Nosmo

Roger
04-24-2009, 07:53 AM
For the past several years, anything I've ordered the dealer did not have included a S & H charge. In my cases, I was ordering parts, not a machine (e.g. trimmer).

The trend seems to be keeping an inventory of those items that move through the chain pretty well. If an item doesn't move well, then don't keep an inventory, and order only when needed. And, when having to make an order, then the customer picks up S & H charges.

In your case, it appears the dealer does not believe he/she has enough demand for this item, and chooses not to stock. When you were specific in your request, he/she accommodated your request, and then added the S & H charge to cover the cost of the special order.

I'm torn on this practice. In some of my requests, when the part was not in stock and needed to be ordered, I thought the demand would suggest the part be in supply. But, I am not the one who sees the inventory and sales sheets, so have no idea how many of these parts are sold on a regular basis. My perception of what is important to be in stock is clearly different than reality. On the other hand, the dealer has to make a decision on how much asset is being tied up on inventory sitting on the shelves. This asset isn't turning him/her one dime, until it is sold. He/she must spend the money to obtain the stock, so it is money used that might better be used elsewhere. For the dealer, these have to be difficult decisions -- how much money to tie up in shelf stock, over against how timely the demands need to be filled. A profitable dealer will not have their money sitting on the shelf with stock that rarely moves. I can certainly understand their position in being very careful on what to stock, and what to order on demand.

It sounds very easy for us to sit hear and be critical of the dealer because they didn't have in stock what we needed. But, what is important to us may not be important to others, hence no desire for the dealer to stock this item.