PDA

View Full Version : Door Hangers

BCarlson
04-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Ok I know this is pretty redundant. Only getting about 1 call a week, Ads in stores, newspaper, nickel and craigslist. Was thinking of driving down streets (thursday/friday) and look for houses that need to be mowed and trimmed then go back through on Monday and place a door hanger with quote on the ones that weren't mowed/trimmed on the weekend. Anybody else use this kind of tactic rather than place a door hanger on every door? Thought about doing the mow and trim then leave a business card and quote; but most houses in this area have at least one dog usually more.

LBLC_LCO
04-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Thought about doing the mow and trim then leave a business card and quote; but most houses in this area have at least one dog usually more.

Are you saying you will mow and trim a house that needs it and leave a card with a quote? Hoping that they will call?

Maybe I am mis-reading that, but I wouldn't do it.

BCarlson
04-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Are you saying you will mow and trim a house that needs it and leave a card with a quote? Hoping that they will call?

Maybe I am mis-reading that, but I wouldn't do it.

I've seen that idea on here, yes. I can't do it because just about everyone has at least one dog. The idea I had was to canvass an area and record addresses where lawns need to be mowed and trimmed on a Thursday/Friday then go back on Monday and the ones that still need to be mowed and trimmed leave a door hanger with quote on it.

LBLC_LCO
04-23-2009, 06:36 PM
The idea of seeing who hasn't been mowed over the weekend and then putting a door hanger on is ok. I've never heard of anyone just mowing someones property and leaving a card/quote though. No way I would do it.

BCarlson
04-23-2009, 06:47 PM
I would probably do the one free lawn mow and trim if no clean-up was involved in town (if it weren't for the dogs) just because 90% of the lawns are under 1500 sq/ft. It would be just another marketing gimmic only with more of an upfront cost.

JohnnyCuts
04-23-2009, 10:11 PM
If you have existing clients go through thier neighborhoods 1-2 days before you mow and leave a note/card on their door stating something like "We will be mowing your neighbor, Bill Smith's, yard at 101 Park Dr tomorrow. If you would like us to mow your lawn while we are here we can do that for you for $35 since we will already be in the area. If you are looking for a lawn service we can mow your lawn weekly for $32 if you sign up for the season. If you would like a reference from Bill let us know as I'm sure he would be happy to oblige. Call/email us at...."

This is what I'm planning on doing during the season to fill a route. In neighborhoods where I dont have a customer close I just wont be specific with names/addresses etc

BCarlson
04-23-2009, 11:34 PM
I thought about that too in the neighborhoods where I have clients. But the I am canvaassing and then going back with flyers on monday. Really need to pick up the cliential.

LouisianaLawnboy
04-24-2009, 02:12 AM
What happens if you break something on their property??? You WOULD be trespassing. Don't do that free mow w/o asking.

BCarlson
04-24-2009, 11:26 AM
What happens if you break something on their property??? You WOULD be trespassing. Don't do that free mow w/o asking.

That's a really good point. This point wasn't even brought up when I first saw that idea of the mow and leave a card with quote. But also I just thought of doing that..not going to do it because of the dog situation.

BCarlson
04-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Well it started to work, drove down streets in sections of the town to write down addresses on Thursday and picked up 3 new clients on Friday. Now on Monday when I recieve the door hangers I can go out tuesday and put those out.

BCarlson
04-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Well this worked better, got the hangers on monday and put them out 52 houses monday evening picked up 7 new clients today. Got a ball game to go to tonight so put out more flyers on Wednesday evening. Broke up the town into 8 sections marking off each section.

LouisianaLawnboy
04-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Well this worked better, got the hangers on monday and put them out 52 houses monday evening picked up 7 new clients today. Got a ball game to go to tonight so put out more flyers on Wednesday evening. Broke up the town into 8 sections marking off each section.

Where did you get your DHs from and how much did they cost?

howierd3866
04-29-2009, 08:49 AM
I agree would not mow someone property without them knowing could cause big problems...But I like your ideal about putting the price on the DH..Reason if the homeowner already has someone doing their property they might not call because they are somewhat happy. BUT if you put the price out there in front of them they can see you are way cheaper than theirs. We use a mail out flyer we do mainly vacant property/lots then I do section of the town at a time using my lap top along with the county property app. site. We alway put our price on it.. Why we do the price on the flyer is because we looking at jobs around $100.00/$500.00 and now days if someone can save $50. a month they sometimes jump ship. And NO its not lowballing because we don't know what the other guy is charging and they all use 5ft/6ft 45hp mowers we use 15ft batwing 110 hp tractors.

BCarlson
04-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Agreed, I looked into Post card flyers here but my local Post office won't deliver unless it's an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet (can be folded in half and stapled). Wanted to send them out every month for 3 months then go seasonal just to get name recognition. So I have lamintated flyers with post cards in the grocery stores, ad in the nickel and local news paper(with a weekly classified that goes out to all houses) and word of mouth.

thegreenreaper
04-29-2009, 06:58 PM
I live in Florida, I would never mow someones yard without permission just asking for trouble, especially down here in Florida I could see a trespassing being issued in my name and business name along with false clams of stealing something off there property.