PDA

View Full Version : NY State DOT Requirments

duffman301
04-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know what the rules are once you have DOT #'s. Do you need to keep a log? can you carry gas? does gas need to be in metal cans? I have had my DOT # for 2 years now but i have never been able to find exactly what i am required to have on the truck.

newtostone
04-23-2009, 06:41 PM
What are you towing? Check all your lights every morning and break away. Make sure everything is up to par. Gas can be carried in any can that says on it DOT approved those are the magic words. The gas cans must be secured in a manner which will not allow them to spill tip or move. There is a limit on how much fuel can be carried be safe and keep it under 100 gallons. What can be done for the gas cans is taking some 1" wood build a box the height width and length of the can which you set it into, and secure that box to the floor of the trailer. Make sure you have your med card, triangles in a box (3) of them the box will say DOT approved and your fire extinguisher which will once again say DOT approved. The fire extinguisher must be readily assessable and permanently mounted so that it will not move shift or become misplaced. I will PM later on tonight.

I know last time I mentioned to someone about properly securing items in their trailer jokes were made but if cans are not secured and you are pulled in for an inspection your now looking at a hazmat inspection which will increase the fine amounts.

grandview (2006)
04-23-2009, 07:57 PM
Most of what Newtostone is right. Right now the DOT will accept the Blitz gas cans but you need to right gas on it. If you use the bigger 5 gallon metal gas cans use the one that is OSHA approved cans ,the DOT will accept them to. The reason being if you get pulled over with a DOT can your ok. But if your at a job site it now falls under OSHA and the DOT cans are not approved by OSHA.

Make sure your trailer has a separate insurance card also.

duffman301
04-23-2009, 07:58 PM
I am running a f-250 w/ a single axle trailer. The combined weight puts me over 10K lbs. Do you need to keep a log?

grandview (2006)
04-23-2009, 08:02 PM
I am running a f-250 w/ a single axle trailer. The combined weight puts me over 10K lbs. Do you need to keep a log?

No. If your within 100-150 air miles from your home base you don't need one.

duffman301
04-23-2009, 08:25 PM
is there a DOT web site that list all the rules?

tlc28
04-23-2009, 08:30 PM
newtostone is right. and as for anyone joking about unsecured gas can 500.00 per can

grandview (2006)
04-23-2009, 08:40 PM
is there a DOT web site that list all the rules?

There are 2 types of rule books. 1 I think is called "Mots"? and I can't remember the name of the other rule book.

As for the website just type in www.nysdot.gov but you'll go blind call your local office.