PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I have a new PITA client

MikeKle
04-23-2009, 08:51 PM
I have been mowing for this older lady for 8 years now, she recently had her brother in law start helping her out with things around the house since she is getting older. she called me earlier and told me to re-install the fence because her brother in law said the way I have it will cause the fence to sag. What I do is unbolt the chain link and roll it back so I can get a big WB in there and use a length of chain and a quick connect to hook it back when I leave. I have done this on many yards over the years with no problems. Well Im not doing her yard with a 21",If it was going to sag it would have done so by now, but she doesnt want to start any trouble with him. I think I may try talking to him directly and tell him the situation and if hes got a problem, he can start mowing it! This is a wonderful trick but you cannot pull the fence as tight as it was with the bolts so there is a small gap but not even a small dog can get thru it. I have evn tried rachet strap to pull it tight and that doesnt work, they must use a special fence stretcher?

BigGreen1
04-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Mike,

Why don't you install a gate. If she has been a good customer for so long why not keep her a while longer. If you can pull it that close it is very loose. If this were my yard I wouldn't want you leaving the fence the way you describe it. I would however like a gate with my fence properly tensioned. See figure 17 below for what a fence stretcher looks like. You use that with a come-a-long.

Tim

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=LawnGarden/chainLinkFence.html#2

greenred
04-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah they make a tool designed specifically for stretching chain link fence.

All Seasons Landscaping
04-23-2009, 09:28 PM
I definitely agree with above... if I were the homeowner, I'd much prefer a gate to what you do. Anyway, fence stretcher:

http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/fence-stretcher.jpg

topsites
04-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Anyway, fence stretcher

Dang, does it work with money?

sslopok
04-23-2009, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't go for your fence trick either.

Pennington Lawncare
04-23-2009, 11:40 PM
This is funny. I just installed a 10 ft. gate between my yard and my back yard neighbor. Lowes has 2 gates that are 5 ft. long and they sell them together for $88 You'll need the hinges which come in a 4 pack for around $15 and a couple corner posts with the caps and a couple 80 lbs. bags of quikcrete.

I just bought the gates this afternoon and got it all put together and quikcrete'd just as it got dark. I should be good to go tomorrow afternoon when I have to mow her yard. I've got a friend who used to install chain link fencing who is going to come by tomorrow to help stretch the fence and reattach is properly. You can just cut one wire at the top and one at the bottom and it'll twist right out. You have to make sure that stay the same number of links from top to bottom though or you'll have a little mess.