PDA

View Full Version : Are you treated like a pro ?

fastlane
03-26-2002, 11:00 PM
Hi Do your "professional" customers (or reg customers) consider you a pro. I did a job for the guy that fixes my car. Removed 30 arborvitae 15' tall. charged $350.(cheap ?) He agreed to price. He had fit when neighbor told him it only took 2 hours.1.25 to pull out with truck .45 to cut off trunk and load on trailer. I planded on a lot longer. This guy rents garage from me.He charges $55 hour has 60-70k of equipnent. when flatrate book says 2hr he charges 2hr even if it took 1hr. I have.70k in equipment and he think I should get $15 an hour, does't consider me a pro.

PAPS
03-26-2002, 11:05 PM
the guy should respect your price...regardless, like you respect his prices.

KirbysLawn
03-26-2002, 11:06 PM
Get your money and let him find someone else to do any further work. Did he factor the time you were away dumping, dumping fees, and such?

I do not argue or dicker with prices. I had one customer last year that installed a large in ground pool, said I should charge less since I have less to mow, I noted to him that I now have more to trim which takes linger than the mowing. He kept wanting to debate price, i sent a letter stating his contract was up for renewal and increased his price, he choose to have some else do his lawn, just as I planned. :D

BRIAN GALLO
03-26-2002, 11:12 PM
I go through that a lot in my area too. People around here seem fixated in an "hourly wage" frame of mind. I feel that if the job is worth $350 it's worth $350 no matter how long it takes! If you spent 70k on equipment so you can get it done in 20 min. compared to a guy with a hand saw spending 9hrs, then that should be up to you as the "pro" to decide. I always tell people "i charge for the job, not by the hour", but they still give me lip sometimes.

rodfather
03-27-2002, 05:06 PM
Good point Brian...most (if not all) customers don't realize the investment in equipment we have. People can not fathom that a commercial mower can cost 10K or more, truck 30K or more, and on and on or more too no matter what it is.

Gotta educate 'em...one at a time.

awm
03-27-2002, 05:58 PM
dont happen much but if a customer indicates im his yd boy,
theres always the option of putting him on the spot.
just something indicating u think he is not the brightest
person around .smile while looking him dead in the eye
as u say it.this in itself is not very professional.
but there is a time an place for everything.most time its best to not worry to much about what he thinks of u ,long as his checks are good.

Twotoros
03-27-2002, 06:00 PM
NO

summitgroundskeeping
03-27-2002, 07:37 PM
You become a professional the second you get paid to do work for someone. They should treat you accordingly.

TJLC
03-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Unfortunatly, IMHO no matter what we do we will always be considered "the lawn boy". I do my best to look and act professional but most people only seem to care about the cost. I think they figure "how hard can it be to cut grass" This is not fair at all and the "lowballers and scrubs" don't help our image either. I say just continue to look and do your best. Good luck

cantoo
03-27-2002, 08:09 PM
I had a guy today ask me to use my $10,000 sweeper on his lawn to remove winter gravel. He figured $20 would be lots because it would only take me 5 minutes to do it. I asked him how long it would take with a rake by hand, he said it would take him all day. I said great I will charge what he gets paid for a day's wages and we will both be happy. He said he would have to discuss it with his wife. I'm thinking he can do it with his wife and two rakes when I drive past him.

The Lawn Choupique
03-27-2002, 11:44 PM
It just don't matter to me as long as I can keep paying my
over head and clear $11 to $12 per hour.

proline32
03-28-2002, 12:57 AM
This is kinda like a post I did a while back where a cabinet guy asked me to do a bunch of work on his lawn and I gave him an estimate for around $3,000. He thought it was "too expensive" and that it would be cheap because it's "only yardwork". I asked the guy how much he charges to redo a kitchen and he said "around $10,000.. so I tell him, "your to expensive, It's only carpentry." maybee now he gets the point.

jeffex
03-28-2002, 06:41 AM
SHHHHHHHHHHH!! Let them think we're yard boys just don't let anyone else know how much you can make. Thats where scrubs come from. They are willing to do it for $10 pr hr. In my area the price per cut on lawns is stable and fair, $25 1/4 acre. They way I grow my proft is to do upgrade services, mulching shrub triming, aeration, ect. . These add ons make me more pro to them and is where the real profit is. The customer mentality is," I can cut my own lawn if I have to ". If you are just mowing then your treated like a lawn boy. I take so much stuff from the mis-mangers at my full time job for 21 hr that its better to get grief for $50 or more. I think the newspaper delivery guy is still below us on the totem pole !!???