PDA

View Full Version : New Next Lazer Z 34 KAW versus Lazer Z XS 35 BVG

timber132007
04-23-2009, 10:48 PM
I own two 72" Lazer Z XS mowers with 35 BVG and took delivery of a 72" Next Lazer Z with a 34hp Kawasaki engine yesterday. I ordered the Next Lazer Z back in early February and had been anxiously awaiting its arrival to see how it stacked up against my XS mowers with 35 BVGs.

I was concerned about whether I should have purchased another Lazer Z XS being that they are still offered or try the new design. All I can say at this point is that I have absolutely no regrets.

I've read a lot of negative posts about dislikes with the Next Lazer design and the company moving away from something that was proven. I own four Exmarks total not including the new Next Lazer and I can honestly say that I think they have made an improvement with this machine.

The drive system is as smooth as can be with no whining pump noises to be heard. The seat is super comfortable for normal mowing conditions but in super bumpy conditions it would be a toss up between the new seat and the Michigan full suspension seat.

The top speed for the Next Lazer Z that I purchased was supposed to be 11.5 mph but I think it is faster than that. I had one of my employees line up beside me with him on a Lazer Z XS with 35 BVG and me on the Next Lazer Z to see which was faster. The top speed for the XS is supposed to be 12mph. When we both took off my casters came off the ground to the point that the back end of the machine bumped the ground. I pulled ahead of him right off the get go and stayed ahead of him. The Next Lazer is a little faster than the XS from what I've seen. Its not 15 mph but its in the 12.5-13mph range. To say the new hydro design is responsive would be putting it lightly. The power is there when you want it but its not jerky its very smooth.

The thing I was most curious about in comparing them was engine power. At this point I give the nod to the 34hp Kawi. On paper it has more torque than the 35 BVG but I wanted to see how it was in the field. When you have the throttle up all the way on the 34hp with the PTO engaged it is an awesome sound. I haven't cut anything really thick yet with the Next Lazer but when I do I will post the results of how it does with the Ultracut 6 against the 35 BVG with the Triton. I have however mowed around some really large live oak trees with a lot of leaves accumulated on the ground. We mow in a circular pattern around the trees blowing the leaves toward the trees. It moved a substantial volume of leaves and the engine didn't even show a hint of wanting to bog or lose rpms.

The cut quality I would say is what most have come to expect from the Exmark Ultracuts of the past. I've never had issues with the Triton deck but we cut warm season grass at low heights in my neck of the woods.

I haven't put enough hours on it to give fuel consumption numbers yet but I will later. I do wish the tank had a little more capacity than 12 gallons. If the hydro system proves to be reliable and the machine overall is as durable as my older Exmarks I will be extremely happy. In my opinion Exmark will be at the cutting edge of innovation if this new design proves to be reliable and durable like the original design.

tacoma200
04-23-2009, 11:02 PM
I hope your right, please keep us updated. I think the low center of gravity is more than a fair trade for slightly less fuel capacity. I really liked my Exmarks it's just I'm mowing in rough, wet, or steep conditions more than manicured lawns. I noticed that I was unconsciously always grabbing the Scag because I didn't want to deal with clumps or scraping the deck in these conditions. I would love to test a new Exmark for the Summer but I'm sure I would go back to orange because of the deck and steepness of area's I cut.

joslawn33
04-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Talking about no clumps or scraping, I bought a new 830 John Deere 27hp kawi lots power & torque wet thick treated yards & no clumps.

puppypaws
04-23-2009, 11:17 PM
I own two 72" Lazer Z XS mowers with 35 BVG and took delivery of a 72" Next Lazer Z with a 34hp Kawasaki engine yesterday. I ordered the Next Lazer Z back in early February and had been anxiously awaiting its arrival to see how it stacked up against my XS mowers with 35 BVGs.

I was concerned about whether I should have purchased another Lazer Z XS being that they are still offered or try the new design. All I can say at this point is that I have absolutely no regrets.

I've read a lot of negative posts about dislikes with the Next Lazer design and the company moving away from something that was proven. I own four Exmarks total not including the new Next Lazer and I can honestly say that I think they have made an improvement with this machine.

The drive system is as smooth as can be with no whining pump noises to be heard. The seat is super comfortable for normal mowing conditions but in super bumpy conditions it would be a toss up between the new seat and the Michigan full suspension seat.

The top speed for the Next Lazer Z that I purchased was supposed to be 11.5 mph but I think it is faster than that. I had one of my employees line up beside me with him on a Lazer Z XS with 35 BVG and me on the Next Lazer Z to see which was faster. The top speed for the XS is supposed to be 12mph. When we both took off my casters came off the ground to the point that the back end of the machine bumped the ground. I pulled ahead of him right off the get go and stayed ahead of him. The Next Lazer is a little faster than the XS from what I've seen. Its not 15 mph but its in the 12.5-13mph range. To say the new hydro design is responsive would be putting it lightly. The power is there when you want it but its not jerky its very smooth.

The thing I was most curious about in comparing them was engine power. At this point I give the nod to the 34hp Kawi. On paper it has more torque than the 35 BVG but I wanted to see how it was in the field. When you have the throttle up all the way on the 34hp with the PTO engaged it is an awesome sound. I haven't cut anything really thick yet with the Next Lazer but when I do I will post the results of how it does with the Ultracut 6 against the 35 BVG with the Triton. I have however mowed around some really large live oak trees with a lot of leaves accumulated on the ground. We mow in a circular pattern around the trees blowing the leaves toward the trees. It moved a substantial volume of leaves and the engine didn't even show a hint of wanting to bog or lose rpms.

The cut quality I would say is what most have come to expect from the Exmark Ultracuts of the past. I've never had issues with the Triton deck but we cut warm season grass at low heights in my neck of the woods.

I haven't put enough hours on it to give fuel consumption numbers yet but I will later. I do wish the tank had a little more capacity than 12 gallons. If the hydro system proves to be reliable and the machine overall is as durable as my older Exmarks I will be extremely happy. In my opinion Exmark will be at the cutting edge of innovation if this new design proves to be reliable and durable like the original design.

This is the kind of post I like to read, true hard facts from a person with experience of both mowers being compared. Bring us all the information you gather.

timber132007
04-23-2009, 11:18 PM
I hope your right, please keep us updated. I think the low center of gravity is more than a fair trade for slightly less fuel capacity. I really liked my Exmarks it's just I'm mowing in rough, wet, or steep conditions more than manicured lawns. I noticed that I was unconsciously always grabbing the Scag because I didn't want to deal with clumps or scraping the deck in these conditions. I would love to test a new Exmark for the Summer but I'm sure I would go back to orange because of the deck and steepness of area's I cut.

I've read a lot of good things about Scag mowers but have never run one and the closest Scag dealer to me is an hour away which isn't an option. I live in the lower part of South Carolina and it is as flat as a pool table so center of gravity isn't a big factor for me other than ditch banks. I am keeping my fingers crossed on the new hydro system. With the XS mowers I can run all day and not have to top off. If the 34hp Kawi fuel consumption is close to the 35 BVG I'll have to take a gas can to top off at lunch time to make it through the day. Not a big deal just a little inconvenience.

timber132007
04-23-2009, 11:20 PM
This is the kind of post I like to read, true hard facts from a person with experience of both mowers being compared. Bring us all the information you gather.

Will do in the coming weeks.

tacoma200
04-23-2009, 11:26 PM
I've read a lot of good things about Scag mowers but have never run one and the closest Scag dealer to me is an hour away which isn't an option. I live in the lower part of South Carolina and it is as flat as a pool table so center of gravity isn't a big factor for me other than ditch banks. I am keeping my fingers crossed on the new hydro system. With the XS mowers I can run all day and not have to top off. If the 34hp Kawi fuel consumption is close to the 35 BVG I'll have to take a gas can to top off at lunch time to make it through the day. Not a big deal just a little inconvenience.

I really wish you and Exmark great luck with the new Lazer. Yes I have to have a bush hog, billy goat (for holding hills), and something to cut the wet overgrown Spring growth with out clumping so my situation is much different. If I only had smooth, level, lots I would have used the Exmark much more because it did leave a smooth cut.

I'm looking forward to your updates, what are they selling for with the big Kaw?

timber132007
04-23-2009, 11:32 PM
I really wish you and Exmark great luck with the new Lazer. Yes I have to have a bush hog, billy goat (for holding hills), and something to cut the wet overgrown Spring growth with out clumping so my situation is much different. If I only had smooth, level, lots I would have used the Exmark much more because it did leave a smooth cut.

I'm looking forward to your updates, what are they selling for with the big Kaw?

$10,990 for the 72" with 34 Kawi. My employee was mowing behind me and couldn't get over the roaring sound following. He said it sounded powerful. I can't wait to try it in taller thick grass.

GravelyGuy
04-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Maybe I just need to get used to the hydros being so responsive. Mine was jerky during the demo.

tacoma200
04-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Maybe I just need to get used to the hydros being so responsive. Mine was jerky during the demo.

My 05 seemed jerky to many but after you adjust to it you realize it is just very responsive. Then again it is a lot easier to keep a strait line when they are not so responsive. I would hit a bump trying to stripe with the Lazer and put a crook in it. But great for smaller area's.

timber132007
05-14-2009, 12:06 AM
I mowed several hours in relatively thick grass for the first time with my new 72" 34hp Kawi Next Lazer Z yesterday. The 34hp Kawi is a beast. It goes faster through the thick stuff than my Lazer Z XS mowers with 35 BVGs. It is also a little faster and much more agile than the XS mowers I own. I estimate fuel consumption to be a little over 2 gph but the payoff is unbelievable power. I see now why Exmark didn't go with the 37hp Kawi because the 34hp is more than sufficient. The torque this engine has is unbelievable. It would be unstoppable on a 60 inch deck.

I am also very impressed with the Ultracut Series 6 deck. It definitely has more suction than the Triton decks on my XS mowers. No stringers at higher cut heights like the Tritons. The Ultracut seems to disperse clippings more efficiently also.

My only complaint is the plastic idler pulley on the deck and the 12 gallon tank. We have a lot of fire ant hills around here. If a ant hill is not clearly visible in tall grass and you hit it everything is jarred to the point that the belt breaks off the lip of the pulley which causes the belt to jump off much more easily if you run it with the busted lip. Due to the fact that I had this same problem with the Triton decks with plastic idler pulleys on my other mowers I had a spare pulley on hand to put on. With regards to the fuel tank size you can't mow all day without topping off.

I have no regrets right now in not purchasing another XS mower. If the hydros hold up I will be very happy with my purchase. It is more productive due to the quickness and agility. The drive system may seem jerky to some but I would classify it as very responsive. It just takes getting used to.

So my analysis for now would be that it is lightning quick, very agile, and cuts very well even in the tall stuff but is thirsty when it comes to gas. If everything holds up I would not hesitate to purchase another one. I think Exmark is onto something with this new mower. The question has been answered for me with regards to whether the Next Lazer Z 34hp Kawi with Ultracut Series 6 will outperform the Lazer Z XS 35 BVG with Triton deck.

GravelyGuy
05-14-2009, 12:14 AM
I am really having a hard time deciding whether or not I want to spend the extra $500 on the 34HP over the 29. I don't like the sound of 2 GPH +. The 29 seemed to have plenty of power, but I wasn't doing leaves or anything.

I hate to get this mower and then be like damn, should have got the 34:cry:

timber132007
05-14-2009, 12:33 AM
I am really having a hard time deciding whether or not I want to spend the extra $500 on the 34HP over the 29. I don't like the sound of 2 GPH +. The 29 seemed to have plenty of power, but I wasn't doing leaves or anything.

I don't know what the fuel numbers would be on the 29 but I would venture to say it would be sufficient from a power standpoint on a 60 inch deck. I would definitely go with the 34 on a 72 inch deck. The 34 on the 60 would be borderline overkill unless you did a lot of mowing in really really thick grass.

When I get off my Lazer Z XS mowers with 35 BVGs and get on the Next Lazer Z 34 Kawi it feels like 40hp compared to the 35 BVG.

puppypaws
05-14-2009, 01:13 AM
I don't know what the fuel numbers would be on the 29 but I would venture to say it would be sufficient from a power standpoint on a 60 inch deck. I would definitely go with the 34 on a 72 inch deck. The 34 on the 60 would be borderline overkill unless you did a lot of mowing in really really thick grass.

When I get off my Lazer Z XS mowers with 35 BVGs and get on the Next Lazer Z 34 Kawi it feels like 40hp compared to the 35 BVG.

That is very interesting, do you think something may be wrong with the 35. I think anyone on here will tell you they have never cut anything the 35 did not handle with ease. Keep supplying us this great information. Try to explain why you think the XS is not keeping up, the mower should be faster, unless there is a problem somewhere you aren't aware of.

This is a 32 Vanguard cutting Signal grass, which is very sappy and hard to cut, I only put it in this grass trying to choke it down with the demo mower. The grass measured over 30" tall and would have killed the engine on my 28 efi Super Z immediately. I honestly could not believe a deck could rid itself of this much grass moving through it and the engine would stall.

I meant to tell you I cut through fire ant mounds constantly and have never had a belt break or jump off, you need steel pulleys.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84128&stc=1&d=1183519139

Lawnut101
05-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Good info. Keep it coming!

aeguy010
05-14-2009, 10:17 AM
When I get off my Lazer Z XS mowers with 35 BVGs and get on the Next Lazer Z 34 Kawi it feels like 40hp compared to the 35 BVG.[/QUOTE]

That is because they eliminated the mule belts that your xs has it has one belt to the mower deck, this means better power transfer to the blades.

TLS
05-14-2009, 10:47 AM
The small gas tank was my only issue with this new Lazer. Well....that and it's not a 15mph machine!!!

I can mow for almost 10 strong hours on my EFI SuperZ without re-fueling. How they could engineer a mower that cant mow for 8 is beyond me?!

timber132007
05-14-2009, 06:40 PM
That is very interesting, do you think something may be wrong with the 35. I think anyone on here will tell you they have never cut anything the 35 did not handle with ease. Keep supplying us this great information. Try to explain why you think the XS is not keeping up, the mower should be faster, unless there is a problem somewhere you aren't aware of.

This is a 32 Vanguard cutting Signal grass, which is very sappy and hard to cut, I only put it in this grass trying to choke it down with the demo mower. The grass measured over 30" tall and would have killed the engine on my 28 efi Super Z immediately. I honestly could not believe a deck could rid itself of this much grass moving through it and the engine would stall.

I meant to tell you I cut through fire ant mounds constantly and have never had a belt break or jump off, you need steel pulleys.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=84128&stc=1&d=1183519139

I have two XS mowers with 35 BVGs and neither will keep up with my new machine. I would say the Next Lazer is .5-1mph faster than both of my XS mowers. Its not 15mph but it is definitely faster than 12mph. It also seems to be much quicker taking off. The 35 BVG is a very powerful engine but the 34 Kawi seems even stronger. I don't know if its the vertical shaft versus horizontal shaft or the difference in decks but I can tell you that my Next Lazer Z will outcut both of my Lazer Z XS mowers because I've had the chance to run them together.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-14-2009, 06:57 PM
i got the 34 with the 60 and your right it is overkill. i recomend anyone try it out in a hay field and you will know what this guy means when it comes to power and speed! i do i go through anything with mine i just put the mambas on this morning put it started to rain so hard i just didnt feel like getting wet so tomaorw we will see what the mambas do

puppypaws
05-14-2009, 07:58 PM
I have two XS mowers with 35 BVGs and neither will keep up with my new machine. I would say the Next Lazer is .5-1mph faster than both of my XS mowers. Its not 15mph but it is definitely faster than 12mph. It also seems to be much quicker taking off. The 35 BVG is a very powerful engine but the 34 Kawi seems even stronger. I don't know if its the vertical shaft versus horizontal shaft or the difference in decks but I can tell you that my Next Lazer Z will outcut both of my Lazer Z XS mowers because I've had the chance to run them together.

I haven't been off the phone very long, maybe 45 minutes, talking with a very intelligent Exmark and Scag rep for a large area of NC. He has been in this business for 30 years and is extremely knowledgeable.

I was actually talking to him about what you said concerning the 34 hp Lazer Z out running the 35 hp Lazer Z XS. He told me this was not suppose to be taking place and started giving me the reasons it was probably happening. He said the XS had larger pumps as well as larger tires and went through a number of different adjustments that would cause your XS to be slower than it was suppose to be.

I told him I would not be able to remember all the different things he was saying and asked him to email me an outline of adjustments that would cause the XS to lose speed. He said it would probably be this weekend because he was busy, but promised he would.

He was explaining something about the hydraulics being a little out of adjustment causing it to have a faster reverse speed which in return made 1 to 1 1/2 mph difference in forward speed. He said it was a very touchy adjustment and you must be experienced to complete it correctly.

I will get the outline from him, it may be something a number of people are interested in. He also told me he was trying to get a mower like yours, with the 34 Kawi to let out as a demo.

timber132007
05-14-2009, 09:12 PM
I haven't been off the phone very long, maybe 45 minutes, talking with a very intelligent Exmark and Scag rep for a large area of NC. He has been in this business for 30 years and is extremely knowledgeable.

I was actually talking to him about what you said concerning the 34 hp Lazer Z out running the 35 hp Lazer Z XS. He told me this was not suppose to be taking place and started giving me the reasons it was probably happening. He said the XS had larger pumps as well as larger tires and went through a number of different adjustments that would cause your XS to be slower than it was suppose to be.

I told him I would not be able to remember all the different things he was saying and asked him to email me an outline of adjustments that would cause the XS to lose speed. He said it would probably be this weekend because he was busy, but promised he would.

He was explaining something about the hydraulics being a little out of adjustment causing it to have a faster reverse speed which in return made 1 to 1 1/2 mph difference in forward speed. He said it was a very touchy adjustment and you must be experienced to complete it correctly.

I will get the outline from him, it may be something a number of people are interested in. He also told me he was trying to get a mower like yours, with the 34 Kawi to let out as a demo.

I would be interested in that information about adjustments. My two XS mowers run side by side at top speed and they will pull way ahead of my regular Lazer 60" that has a top speed of 9.5mph. The Next Lazer Z will pull slightly ahead of my two XS mowers at top speed. Where the performance difference really shows is turning corners. I don't know how to properly describe it in words but when you turn it is much quicker and seems to have a faster acceleration after you complete a sharp turn.

I mowed a large area with my employees with me on the new mower and them on the XS mowers. On straight runs they could keep up but I would pull slightly ahead. When it came to turns at the end of a row I gained each time. I don't know if its the lighter weight of the Next Lazer versus the XS or the drive system or a combination of both. My 60" regular Lazer Z has 12cc pumps and feels more agile than the two XS mowers with 21cc pumps.

My description of the Next Lazer Z would be that it has the quick maneuverability of my 60" Regular Lazer Z but the power(more) of the XS mowers. Before I got mine I read a post where a guy had driven a Next Lazer Z and said he thought the speed was way more than 11.5mph. He said it felt like it was in the Hustler Super Z or Bad Boy AOS league with regards to speed. I don't think they are that fast but they do seem to be a little faster than 11.5mph. Maybe some other Next Lazer Z owners could give feedback on how their mowers are with regards to handling and speed.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-14-2009, 10:01 PM
My description of the Next Lazer Z would be that it has the quick maneuverability of my 60" Regular Lazer Z but the power(more) of the XS mowers. Before I got mine I read a post where a guy had driven a Next Lazer Z and said he thought the speed was way more than 11.5mph. He said it felt like it was in the Hustler Super Z or Bad Boy AOS league with regards to speed. I don't think they are that fast but they do seem to be a little faster than 11.5mph. Maybe some other Next Lazer Z owners could give feedback on how their mowers are with regards to handling and speed.[/QUOTE]

mine is super quick has lots of grip feels like it is so planted to the ground that you can do anything with it. you can fly arround a yard with it. it feels fast and i have a radar gun and i will clock it tomarow just so i know the truth. it is an acurate gun i use it to clock speedometers on trucks. so we will know if it is more than 11 or 12. as far as what it is, it is a totally different animal than an xs it is way smaller looking and has a vertical shaft engine with a 12 gallon tank under the seat when the tank is full it feels like it is a race car!!!:weightlifter: the motor makes more torque than a 35 vangaurd 5 more ftlbs @ 2000 rpm plus it has no hydro hoses that flex when presure is put on them so it is super responsive. :weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:lzz 34 new king of mowers it will eat a 28 hp kohler for lunch in thick grass thats a fact it has about 15 more ftlbs of torque across the board at all times plus ! :weightlifter: lol:laugh:
i dont care what anybody says these are super awsome and mine is proof to me about what they can do unless you have one there is no say in what is right or wrong with them

puppypaws
05-14-2009, 10:09 PM
I mowed a large area with my employees with me on the new mower and them on the XS mowers. On straight runs they could keep up but I would pull slightly ahead. When it came to turns at the end of a row I gained each time. I don't know if its the lighter weight of the Next Lazer versus the XS or the drive system or a combination of both. My 60" regular Lazer Z has 12cc pumps and feels more agile than the two XS mowers with 21cc pumps.

The 21 cc pumps will be slower to respond but are supposedly quicker on top end. The 12 cc pumps are quicker to respond and have more torque, but supposedly slower on top end.

Think of it as two cars about to race from a dead stand still. Each car is identical with 400 hp under the hoods. One car has a 3.45 gear ratio rear end and the other has a 4.11 gear ratio. The 4.11 will take off quicker and run a short distance (1/4 mile) much faster, but when you pass a certain distance the 3.45 will be much faster on top end, and leave the 4.11 in the shade.

johnnybravo8802
05-14-2009, 10:35 PM
All of my Exmark's were a lot more responsive than my Scag TT and I actually preferred that. I know the reason Scag designs their mowers like that but I mow a lot of grass and like to whip it around quickly and go the other way to mow as quickly as possible. However, I love my Scag!!!!!:drinkup:

timber132007
05-14-2009, 11:14 PM
My description of the Next Lazer Z would be that it has the quick maneuverability of my 60" Regular Lazer Z but the power(more) of the XS mowers. Before I got mine I read a post where a guy had driven a Next Lazer Z and said he thought the speed was way more than 11.5mph. He said it felt like it was in the Hustler Super Z or Bad Boy AOS league with regards to speed. I don't think they are that fast but they do seem to be a little faster than 11.5mph. Maybe some other Next Lazer Z owners could give feedback on how their mowers are with regards to handling and speed.

mine is super quick has lots of grip feels like it is so planted to the ground that you can do anything with it. you can fly arround a yard with it. it feels fast and i have a radar gun and i will clock it tomarow just so i know the truth. it is an acurate gun i use it to clock speedometers on trucks. so we will know if it is more than 11 or 12. as far as what it is, it is a totally different animal than an xs it is way smaller looking and has a vertical shaft engine with a 12 gallon tank under the seat when the tank is full it feels like it is a race car!!!:weightlifter: the motor makes more torque than a 35 vangaurd 5 more ftlbs @ 2000 rpm plus it has no hydro hoses that flex when presure is put on them so it is super responsive. :weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:lzz 34 new king of mowers it will eat a 28 hp kohler for lunch in thick grass thats a fact it has about 15 more ftlbs of torque across the board at all times plus ! :weightlifter: lol:laugh:
i dont care what anybody says these are super awsome and mine is proof to me about what they can do unless you have one there is no say in what is right or wrong with them[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback on your Next Lazer Z. It is good to hear from someone that is as happy with theirs as I am with mine. The Next Lazer Z is my third different Exmark and so far is the best performing. I hope its as reliable as my others. Please let us know what you come up with on the radar gun.

beaver29
05-14-2009, 11:26 PM
What is the torque rating of the 34 Kawa vs. the 35 BVG? What are the cc's of that 34 Kawa?

GravelyGuy
05-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Any of you guys try the new Lazer with the isomounts and suspension seat? My dealer had the suspension seat on one of his yesterday and it felt like it would be awesome.

He told me he would throw in the suspension seat if I get one. I think I'm just going to get the 29 Kawi to try and save some fuel.

$9800 + tax for the 29/60 with suspension seat. Seems like a pretty good price from what I've heard.

puppypaws
05-14-2009, 11:45 PM
What is the torque rating of the 34 Kawa vs. the 35 BVG? What are the cc's of that 34 Kawa?

35 Vanguard 45 lbs at 3600 rpms
34 Kawasaki 49 lbs at 3600 rpms

FX921V 34.0 HP

PARTS CATALOG
BUY TODAY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FEATURES

Overhead v-valve
90 degree V-twin
High performance lubrication system
Electronic spark ignition
Automatic compression release
Twin barrel, internally vented carburetor with fuel shut-off solenoid
3 valves per cylinder
High efficiency oil cooler
Rotating grass screen
Dual stage canister air filter
Cast iron cylinder liners
SPECIFICATIONS
Engine Type Forced Air-Cooled V-twin 4-cycle Vertical Shaft OHV Gasoline Engine
Number of Cylinders 2
Bore x Stroke 3.5 x 3.15 in. (89.15 x 80mm)
Displacement 999cc (61 cu. in.)
Compression Ratio 8.4:1
Maximum Power 34.0hp (25.4kW) / 3600 rpm
Maximum Torque 57.9 ft. lbs. (78.5 Nm) / 2400 rpm
Oil Capacity 2.0 U.S. qt. (1.9 liter) w/Filter
Dry Weight (without muffler) 138.0 lbs. (62.6kg)

Thunderbolt
05-15-2009, 12:01 AM
I have a 29/60 Lazer demo it has all kinds of power. It has just as much power as my 31/60 lazer (Briggs). I think next week I am going to order a 34/60:weightlifter: The price difference was only $300 from the 29 Kaw so why not get the 34 Kaw? GREAT MACHINE!!!!!:):):):)

timber132007
05-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Any of you guys try the new Lazer with the isomounts and suspension seat? My dealer had the suspension seat on one of his yesterday and it felt like it would be awesome.

He told me he would throw in the suspension seat if I get one. I think I'm just going to get the 29 Kawi to try and save some fuel.

$9800 + tax for the 29/60 with suspension seat. Seems like a pretty good price from what I've heard.

Are you saying the suspension seat would mount to the isomounts? Sorry if its a stupid question but I thought the isomounts would be removed to put in the suspension seat. I don't know anything about mounting the seats so I'm trying to find out because I had considered going with a full suspension seat. A suspension seat on the isomounts would be like a double suspension seat. Should be a very smooth ride if its possible to do it. I had my dealer ask Exmark before I purchased the Next Lazer Z if the full suspension seat was mountable and they said yes but I thought the isomounts would be taken off. Again I don't know anything about seat mounting.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-15-2009, 12:18 AM
the only downfall is fuel consumption. the new lzz is all that i was happy to hear about how you liked the mower so much. i was torn between a couple diferent power players and i said lets try this one i am very very happy with it! and after what you said about the 72" deck it only reinforces my opinion, this is a new animal and the competition has alot of work if they want to have such a great overall machine! it might suck on gas but ill deal with that to just have the power and mower itself i like everything about it especially how easy it is to set the deck way better than chains

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-15-2009, 12:19 AM
the iso mounts stay on when they put the michigan on it

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-15-2009, 12:20 AM
oops i mean just the suspension seat i dont think they stay on with the michigan

GravelyGuy
05-15-2009, 12:29 AM
The iso's stay on with the Exmark suspension seat, I don't know about Michigan.

It gives you up and down and side to side movement. My dealer sells Ferris as well and he said that with the iso and suspension that it was better than the Ferris machines with the shocks or whatever.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-15-2009, 12:35 AM
hey i know mine rides good enough for me, im not saying it rides good but im gonna buy a bagger for mine before anything else i wish i bought it 3 weeks ago with all this rain some of these yards get messy when they are tall need to bag in the spring my dixon 44 gets it done but on the bigger yards baggin with that gets crazy. thats why i bought the 34 anyway so i can run a bagger without worries i know it will be fine, well the blets might have a problem but i know the motor isnt going to bog or leave me wishing i had more

timber132007
05-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Exmark's website says the Michigan full suspension seat can be mounted to the isomounts. If you click on "accessories" and scroll down to the seats and then click on comfort matrix it says the Michigan seat mounts can be mounted to the isomounts.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-15-2009, 12:40 AM
The iso's stay on with the Exmark suspension seat, I don't know about Michigan.

It gives you up and down and side to side movement. My dealer sells Ferris as well and he said that with the iso and suspension that it was better than the Ferris machines with the shocks or whatever.

i just wanted to say that price is a really good price hs selling you that for only a little more than what he paid, mine was 9900 dealer cost i got mine for 10990, and it came out to almost 12000 even with tax and the loan i did the 6 month no pay and 3.9 for 36 i think it was a good deal the mower is awsome and i dont think i would have been as happy with anything else. i was wanting a ferris with a 37hp kawi is 3100 or a tt35hp bvg i spent just as much as the ferris and a 1000 more than the scag

GravelyGuy
05-15-2009, 12:45 AM
i just wanted to say that price is a really good price hs selling you that for only a little more than what he paid, mine was 9900 dealer cost i got mine for 10990, and it came out to almost 12000 even with tax and the loan i did the 6 month no pay and 3.9 for 36 i think it was a good deal the mower is awsome and i dont think i would have been as happy with anything else. i was wanting a ferris with a 37hp kawi is 3100 or a tt35hp bvg i spent just as much as the ferris and a 1000 more than the scag

Thanks for the info. I was qouted $11,000 cash for the Scag TT35HP and I think I would prefer the Scag over the Exmark, but the dealer is kind of shady. Did you say you payed $1000 more for the Exmark than the Scag would have been?

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-15-2009, 12:49 AM
yeah 10000 for the scag tt might have went lower that was just me calling him and saying what will you do for me if i come down there right now to buy it. it was new with no hours but it was a 2oo8 leftover. gotta say that the exmark parts program for my area is better than scag i have alot of people complain about it to me and the dealer that sells them is a good honest dealership so makesure you check that out before you buy.

GravelyGuy
05-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Maybe it was cheaper since it was an 08??? The 11K was a no haggle price similar to yours, I just called. I've worked on the Exmark dealer for about two weeks now:laugh:

Exmark has the next day parts policy, how could it be any better?

tacoma200
05-15-2009, 06:28 AM
i just wanted to say that price is a really good price hs selling you that for only a little more than what he paid, mine was 9900 dealer cost i got mine for 10990, and it came out to almost 12000 even with tax ag

I can't figure out how Scag dealers are selling the 35 hp Turf. Tiger for less than your dealers cost on the 34 hp Exmark. Briggs must be giving the 35's away. I gave 9,600 and I've heard as low as 9,200. I like the big Kawasakis but the price they are selling the Briggs machines at is just too hard to pass up.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-15-2009, 08:16 AM
I can't figure out how Scag dealers are selling the 35 hp Turf. Tiger for less than your dealers cost on the 34 hp Exmark. Briggs must be giving the 35's away. I gave 9,600 and I've heard as low as 9,200. I like the big Kawasakis but the price they are selling the Briggs machines at is just too hard to pass up.

the exmark seems to sell to alot of home owners, every body where i live i has 2 acres to mow and there are alot of houses it is like a city in the country lol sort of like that but most people buy a diesel exmark or have a kubota or jd tractor so i dont think that scag sells in comparison to the exmark. so if your having problems selling they usually get cheaper while if somthing is selling good and there is a demand for it the price wil stay the same or go up. i personally dont understand why a homeowner wants a ztr that costs as much as a large garden tractor with a pto. makes no sense they can do so much with it and mow there yard nice. i mean the john deeres cut sooo nice it looks like a damn carpet might take a little longer but if i was buying for myself and didnt have 4 ztr mowers id get a tractor.

in the other thread people are comparing scag vs lzz there really isnt anything to compare one does certain style cutting and the other is meant for bagging pretty much. i think up this way the scag isnt as popular cause you need tro know what you are doing with a deck like that to get the perfect cut, my dixon 1001 has the same style deck it doesnt cut perfect but it throws a serious amount of grass and cuts so good in the rain that you cant tell i cut in the rain lol so i think exmark is home owner frriendly scag is more industrial and will get the job done more often and faster.

beaver29
05-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Puppypaws,

I have a 31hp Kawa and the Hustler website says it has 53 ft lbs. That cannot be right if the 34hp Kawa has 49 lbs.

tacoma200
05-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Puppypaws,

I have a 31hp Kawa and the Hustler website says it has 53 ft lbs. That cannot be right if the 34hp Kawa has 49 lbs.

That depends on the rpm's. The 34 Kaw probably has more torque at 2,200-2,400 rpm's than at 3,600 rpms.

TLS
05-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Puppy was quoting torque at 3600 rpm....where it counts.

Max torque is, as Tacoma says, in the mid 2K rpm range.

tacoma200
05-15-2009, 10:32 AM

I about forgot what this thread is about but the 34 hp New Lazer seems like a lot better machine (if it is durable) than the XS Exmarks. I never really understood what the big deal with the XS was. Most of them were underpowered by a 29 Kawasaki gas or a small hp diesel. Exmark definately doesn't have the diesel market cornered. Anyway the 35 Briggs seems to be a good engine at a low price but I would love to have a Kawasaki. They just don't offer a 30+ hp Kawasaki on the Tigers. Scag needs to offer a better engine selection though if the 31 Kohler turns out to be a sound performer it wouldn't be too bad. I can't see buying an XS Exmark unless you really got a great deal. The 34 New Lazer sounds like a great machine. Funny how they insisted the Triton was better and went back to the Ultra Cut (smart move). How are you TLS? Good to hear from you!:)

puppypaws
05-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Where have you been, I looked for you in the obituaries and could not find where you had died. Good to see your LawnSite name back in print. Seriously, what has kept you away; for what seems like a good while?

tacoma200
05-15-2009, 04:31 PM
We have after years finally reached a point where enough power on a ZTR is not an issue. Hearing guys say 34 is enough (even overkill) so why bother with 37. Getting all ZTR manufacturers to step up to the plate and provide high hp options on most models is great to see.

tacoma200
05-15-2009, 04:34 PM

Yes it is nice to hear from you TLS. Give us and update on you Super Z as far as hours and how it has held up for you. I was sure you would have one with a big Kawasaki by now but I'm sure the 28 sips the fuel. You have one of the first XR7 decks. Did you decide running one, or two triangles worked best for this deck? Is anyone still using the lift kit they sent us?

tshank
05-16-2009, 04:34 AM
Yes it is nice to hear from you TLS. Give us and update on you Super Z as far as hours and how it has held up for you. I was sure you would have one with a big Kawasaki by now but I'm sure the 28 sips the fuel. You have one of the first XR7 decks. Did you decide running one, or two triangles worked best for this deck? Is anyone still using the lift kit they sent us?

Still using the kit, 2 triangles, no internal baffles. Looked at the new XR7 deck for our area and it looks like what I came up with. Except for the 3" super high lifts. Not perfect, but the best set up I have come up with.

dcg141
05-17-2009, 07:05 PM
I sold 4 Next Lazers to my biggest customer this year and he was on Lazer XS's. So far his crew likes the new unit better. They mow interstate ROW with steep banks so the lower cg was a big plus for them. I've been in the business of selling equipment long enough to not get too excited over new designs but also never turn away from an improvement. I liked the new design when I first saw it and we are encouraged by our first impressions.

lazer 46
05-17-2009, 07:09 PM
I sold 4 Next Lazers to my biggest customer this year and he was on Lazer XS's. So far his crew likes the new unit better. They mow interstate ROW with steep banks so the lower cg was a big plus for them. I've been in the business of selling equipment long enough to not get too excited over new designs but also never turn away from an improvement. I liked the new design when I first saw it and we are encouraged by our first impressions.

I'm thinking of getting one of these new Lazers next year. Since there is no Exmark forum anymore, any updates on performance that you can supply would be much appreciated.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-17-2009, 07:22 PM
new lazer z is a totally diferent world than a xs they side hill about twice as good if not better! they are a very fast and agile mower sort of race car like you can fly arround obstacles with them so fast it confuses you! im not kidding mine is great only drawback so far is fuel consumption other than that mine does everything i ever wanted a mower to do

timber132007
05-17-2009, 08:40 PM
new lazer z is a totally diferent world than a xs they side hill about twice as good if not better! they are a very fast and agile mower sort of race car like you can fly arround obstacles with them so fast it confuses you! im not kidding mine is great only drawback so far is fuel consumption other than that mine does everything i ever wanted a mower to do

I completely agree about handling hills much better. The terrain here is extremely flat but I do cut some ditch banks along the highway. I am able to cut much closer to ditches with the Next Lazer than I use to with the XS mowers.

The XS is a big bulky machine with a higher center of gravity that feels like the back end is going to come around on a slope. Being able to cut closer to ditches saves a lot on weed eating time.

It is nice to have a mower with the power of bigger mowers but agility of smaller mowers. I couldn't be happier with it. If it proves to be reliable I think a lot of people will be purchasing them once the word gets out on how they perform.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-17-2009, 09:10 PM
I completely agree about handling hills much better. The terrain here is extremely flat but I do cut some ditch banks along the highway. I am able to cut much closer to ditches with the Next Lazer than I use to with the XS mowers.

The XS is a big bulky machine with a higher center of gravity that feels like the back end is going to come around on a slope. Being able to cut closer to ditches saves a lot on weed eating time.

It is nice to have a mower with the power of bigger mowers but agility of smaller mowers. I couldn't be happier with it. If it proves to be reliable I think a lot of people will be purchasing them once the word gets out on how they perform.

how does your 72 do with scalping or not scalping that is??? i am suprised how well mine doesnt scalp on really uneven ground. yours must be able to get alot work done with that deck, power wise how do you feel it pulls those blades do you think you could use a litle more or are you satisfied with the 34hp kawi? im very satisfied with the power just the fuel consumption seems to be its only fault. i havent used the radar gun yet i need to get batteries ill try son so we can figure out what the top speed is. i know i need to adjust the hydro controllers on mine i think i am loosing a little bit of speed out of one wheel it seems to turn to the right at full tilt. im going to go through mine this week and check and retighten all the bolts ill let people know what is a potential hazard or parts that might need thread locker. :usflag:

timber132007
05-17-2009, 09:21 PM
I haven't had any problems with scalping. The power is more than sufficient. I wouldn't go with less power on the 72" deck and the only way to justify needing more power would be if all I did was mow really thick stuff all day which isn't the case. The 34 Kawi 72" Ultracut Series 6 outperforms my two 72" XS mowers with 35 BVGs. I didn't really expect it to but it does.

I wish it had better fuel economy but I realize its a gas engine and the higher you go with horsepower the thirstier the engine is going to be. Maybe in the future fuel injected big blocks will be available.

Mrplowcjc
05-17-2009, 09:52 PM
What are the prices on the new 72" lazers?

timber132007
05-17-2009, 09:58 PM

$10,990 for the 72" 34 Kawi Next Lazer Z.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-17-2009, 10:07 PM

i dont know what the exact price is but you could probly pick one up for 11500 or less without tax my 60" with the 34hp kawi was 10990 witout tax. retail is way up there mine retails for 11800. really if your in the market for a big mower check them out, we dont know about reliabilty yet cause they are brandnew but from a mechanics perspective i like the way it is put together it feels tight when driving it and the rops is very nice how it folds to seat level and gives the motor and the battery some extra protection not much but more. i like how the battery is right out in the open if it needs to be boosted with a battery pack quickly. great design on a mower for useability like i said i no one knows about actual reliability but in my eyes it seems like it will be better than any haters think!lol:weightlifter::usflag:

puppypaws
05-17-2009, 10:08 PM
I haven't had any problems with scalping. The power is more than sufficient. I wouldn't go with less power on the 72" deck and the only way to justify needing more power would be if all I did was mow really thick stuff all day which isn't the case. The 34 Kawi 72" Ultracut Series 6 outperforms my two 72" XS mowers with 35 BVGs. I didn't really expect it to but it does.

I wish it had better fuel economy but I realize its a gas engine and the higher you go with horsepower the thirstier the engine is going to be. Maybe in the future fuel injected big blocks will be available.

What deck is on the 2 XS mowers you own? I seriously doubt you would notice a great deal of power difference between the 34 and 37 Kawi. There is about 5 lbs. more torque with the 37 at 3600 rpm's which could possibly show up in certain situations. I look forward to someone coming in with a good comparison between the two.

It is good to see someone such as yourself come in with this type input, just remember, we can see through the salesmanship versus legitimate information.

timber132007
05-17-2009, 10:31 PM
72" deck on the XS mowers. I'm very happy with the 34hp Kawi.

driver5
05-17-2009, 11:24 PM
35 Vanguard 45 lbs at 3600 rpms
34 Kawasaki 49 lbs at 3600 rpms

FX921V 34.0 HP

PARTS CATALOG
BUY TODAY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FEATURES

Overhead v-valve
90 degree V-twin
High performance lubrication system
Electronic spark ignition
Automatic compression release
Twin barrel, internally vented carburetor with fuel shut-off solenoid
3 valves per cylinder
High efficiency oil cooler
Rotating grass screen
Dual stage canister air filter
Cast iron cylinder liners
SPECIFICATIONS
Number of Cylinders 2
Bore x Stroke 3.5 x 3.15 in. (89.15 x 80mm)
Displacement 999cc (61 cu. in.)
Compression Ratio 8.4:1
Maximum Power 34.0hp (25.4kW) / 3600 rpm
Maximum Torque 57.9 ft. lbs. (78.5 Nm) / 2400 rpm
Oil Capacity 2.0 U.S. qt. (1.9 liter) w/Filter
Dry Weight (without muffler) 138.0 lbs. (62.6kg)

do you know the torque on my Lazer 27 Hp liquid coold Kawaski ???

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-18-2009, 12:06 AM
SPECIFICATIONS
Number of Cylinders 2
Bore x Stroke 3.33 x 2.99 in. (84.5 x 76mm)
Displacement 852cc (52 cu. in.)
Compression Ratio 8.2:1
Maximum Power 27.0hp (20.1 kW) / 3600 rpm
Maximum Torque 52.9 ft. lbs. (71.7 N•m) / 2000 rpm
Oil Capacity 2.1 U.S. qt. (2.0 liter) w/Filter
Dry Weight (without muffler) 105.0 lbs. (47.5kg)

yeah its impressive having all that torque at such a low rpm means that when it starts to get rough she will keep pulling hard

puppypaws
05-18-2009, 12:52 AM
do you know the torque on my Lazer 27 Hp liquid coold Kawaski ???

39 ft lbs. at 3600 rpm's

http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/detail.aspx?id=6&cat_id=1

driver5
05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks Puppy Paws.

coachbil
05-28-2009, 12:47 AM

I have two XS 66's with 35 BVG and a NLZ with the 2960. The fuel econ is only slightly better than has been quoted here.(2 GPH) I have gotten as much as as 1.5 GPH and as little as 2 GPH, depending on conditions. If I had it to do all over again I would have dealt with my Ferris mowers for two more months and bought 3 NLZ's with 34 Kawi's, 2 72"'s and 1 60".

coachbil
05-28-2009, 12:54 AM
For others lurking, everything that has been said about the NLZ's in this thread has been my experience as well, advantages as well as drawbacks.

My dealer has been telling me he thinks they will redesign the XS to be more like the NLZ. After reading what you guys have said, there is no reason to.

The only thing I have to add is that the XS rides better than the NLZ and the NLZ does not have the clearance at the rear of the machine that the XS has. I have gotten "stuck" because of this several times. Once coming off a high curb. This can be averted by backing up the curb. If you can't back up it, you won't get stuck coming down!:rolleyes:

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-28-2009, 06:45 PM
For others lurking, everything that has been said about the NLZ's in this thread has been my experience as well, advantages as well as drawbacks.

My dealer has been telling me he thinks they will redesign the XS to be more like the NLZ. After reading what you guys have said, there is no reason to.

The only thing I have to add is that the XS rides better than the NLZ and the NLZ does not have the clearance at the rear of the machine that the XS has. I have gotten "stuck" because of this several times. Once coming off a high curb. This can be averted by backing up the curb. If you can't back up it, you won't get stuck coming down!:rolleyes:

you got that right coach bill! the rear of the mower sits very low so does the rear axle. it can be a burden i had problems two times so far backing off my trailer and getting hng up on pavement because of the angle i had the trailer gate at. havent had one since i look to make sure i dont park funny anymore. i go over 8 inch curbs fine with mine im sure any higher is a problem, i usually go diagonally accross the curb and it seems to clear with ease! i have the 34hp kaw i like it i think they really should have done a better job on fuel consumption but it takes fuel to make alot of power and this certainly makes alot of power. you would think the 29 would be alot better cuaeit is a smaller motor but 2gph is way to high for that class of a engine you would have been better with a 34 getting the same fuel economy and having the extra power. power wise you think the 66 with the 35 is about the smae as the 29 with the 60????

puppypaws
05-28-2009, 08:59 PM
you got that right coach bill! the rear of the mower sits very low so does the rear axle. it can be a burden i had problems two times so far backing off my trailer and getting hng up on pavement because of the angle i had the trailer gate at. havent had one since i look to make sure i dont park funny anymore. i go over 8 inch curbs fine with mine im sure any higher is a problem, i usually go diagonally accross the curb and it seems to clear with ease! i have the 34hp kaw i like it i think they really should have done a better job on fuel consumption but it takes fuel to make alot of power and this certainly makes alot of power. you would think the 29 would be alot better cuaeit is a smaller motor but 2gph is way to high for that class of a engine you would have been better with a 34 getting the same fuel economy and having the extra power. power wise you think the 66 with the 35 is about the smae as the 29 with the 60????

I had to visit the hospital closest to my home yesterday because my niece had a baby. I noticed a new Exmark cutting the grass while it was raining. We've had a great deal of rain in our area and the grass at the hospital is beautiful and well manicured. I was watching the new Exmark cut and almost eased over into the curb, my wife said, "why are you not looking where you are driving?" I said, "I was watching the amount and length of distance that mower was throwing grass." There was no clumping and it looked like grass was being sprayed from a fire hose with a fan nozzle. It looked to be throwing grass so far; you would need to be very mindful of where the grass was to end its destination.

Does your new mower really spray the grass out in a fan pattern for a long distance? This person did not have the rubber discharge chute down, but he was in a sizable area. I was impressed at the distance and pattern the grass was being discharged, especially with it being soaking wet.

coachbil
05-28-2009, 11:38 PM

I would give a slight edge to the 2960 in hp. It is one of those things that when I first read your post i thought, 29 has way more power. But just because you can pop a wheelie with it doesn't mean it has more power!

I am no engineer, but i think they have pushed that engine to the absolute max hp they can without liquid cooling it or putting a turbo on it. One way to get more horsepower is pour more fuel in. Exmark wanted a light mower with alot of horses and Kawasaki gave em one. If you have ridden one, think about adding 30 pounds to the back of that mower. You would have to add a hundred to the front of it to keep the front tires on the ground because the majority of the engine is behind the rear wheels. I finally let one of the guys run it today and he would sprint up the ramp to beat me to it the rest of the day. He's gotta learn how to use the new OCDC though. Good thing its flexible!:laugh:

puppypaws
05-28-2009, 11:39 PM
I had to visit the hospital closest to my home yesterday because my niece had a baby. I noticed a new Exmark cutting the grass while it was raining. We've had a great deal of rain in our area and the grass at the hospital is beautiful and well manicured. I was watching the new Exmark cut and almost eased over into the curb, my wife said, "why are you not looking where you are driving?" I said, "I was watching the amount and length of distance that mower was throwing grass." There was no clumping and it looked like grass was being sprayed from a fire hose with a fan nozzle. It looked to be throwing grass so far; you would need to be very mindful of where the grass was to end its destination.

Does your new mower really spray the grass out in a fan pattern for a long distance? This person did not have the rubber discharge chute down, but he was in a sizable area. I was impressed at the distance and pattern the grass was being discharged, especially with it being soaking wet.

I wanted you to answer this question about grass dispersal with your new mower?

coachbil
05-28-2009, 11:44 PM

Yes. On a calm day it will shoot some on a sidewalk after making three rounds. I use the OCDC to keep that from happening when I don't want it too. It will throw clumps occasionally, but if you show me a mower that doesn't clump crabgrass let me know. We have a 15 acres in one spot with heavy fescue and weeds. You can see where I mow with the NLZ and where the XS's mow. You gave the best description I have heard yet by comparing it to a firehose.

tacoma200
05-29-2009, 12:07 AM
My lazer ultra cuts threw a rooster tail of clippings like a snow blower. A concentrated stream of clipping that slowly fanned out in an arch. The Scag velocity fans them lower and wider with longer clippings. The Ultra Cut will choke on its clippings in our spring grasses much easier though.
I'm watching guys srape them a lot here but you know our grass is different
Posted via Mobile Device

coachbil
05-29-2009, 12:15 AM
My lazer ultra cuts threw a rooster tail of clippings like a snow blower. A concentrated stream of clipping that slowly fanned out in an arch. The Scag velocity fans them lower and wider with longer clippings. The Ultra Cut will choke on its clippings in our spring grasses much easier though.
I'm watching guys srape them a lot here but you know our grass is different
Posted via Mobile Device

When I retire, I am gonna get a list of people off this site from all over the country and go mow all these different types grasses and see for myself. It intrigues me.

puppypaws
05-29-2009, 01:24 AM
When I retire, I am gonna get a list of people off this site from all over the country and go mow all these different types grasses and see for myself. It intrigues me.

Please feel welcomed, I may even get you a variety of mowers to run.

tacoma200
05-29-2009, 10:09 AM

Puppypaws and myself have been talking for a long time about the differences in grasses and cut between where we live. Hustlers cut great there but are nonexistent here because of the turf. What is so intriguing?

Some people cut in the Northern zone, Southern Zone, or like Puppypaws and myself in the transition zone which varies greatly even in the same state.

Most of my lawns are converted pasture with a percentage of Ky 31 (which is not even turf grass).

coachbil
05-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Puppypaws and myself have been talking for a long time about the differences in grasses and cut between where we live. Hustlers cut great there but are nonexistent here because of the turf. What is so intriguing?

Some people cut in the Northern zone, Southern Zone, or like Puppypaws and myself in the transition zone which varies greatly even in the same state.

Most of my lawns are converted pasture with a percentage of Ky 31 (which is not even turf grass).

I have not traveled much since starting the lawn care business. I am sure you remember how you paid attention to grass and how it was taken care more after you started your business than you did before. So with my new set of eyes I would like to travel around and really look at the grass and how things are done differently in different parts of the country. I know the grass is different. But I have never seen it or at least paid attention when i did. I believe that an exmark isn't worth a crap in some parts of the country the same as a scag or (insert mower of choice here) isn't in others. When I first started I had Ferris. I couldn't figure out why some yards looked good after we were done and others didn't. The grass wasn't higher and there weren't any weeds. What's wrong with the way I mowed it? Why did the 72" mow better in some places than the 61" and the 61" better than the 72" in others?

Well, I know why now. Different grass and because the decks are designed slightly different. So with all the things I didn't know then and having pretty well "figured out" grasses around here, I want to see what I have heard.

I had a teacher in 8th grade whose saying was "Learn one thing everyday". While that may sound silly when in school and your taking 6 classes, after i got out of school it makes tons of sense. After 25 years I understand what he meant. If you set out everyday to learn one thing you will surely learn more than just one thing.

coachbil
05-29-2009, 05:33 PM
I must be the first one done for the week! WOOHOO!:weightlifter:

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-29-2009, 07:06 PM
yeah puppy if you are on and angle where it will point the discharge side of the deck up ward it will shoot like 30 ft! no lie i was on the bottom of a hill and at the top was a flower garden i make to pasees at the botom to just do the hill quick and then i get my bagger and do the rest of the yard. i looked at the flower garden and it had all the grass i cut in it ! all of it i was like you got to be kidding me it was literally 30 ft away the chute was up! if you put it down it helps a ton but still shoots it far enough to go into the flowers just not all the grass will make it there. got to remeber this is a steep hill im saying this threw it up a hill into a flat flower garden that is level next to a house lol i was suprised to say the leaste. i want the power cchute but i am scared to buy it. i am think either just get a bagger or a mulch kit i cant decide! driving me nuts.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-29-2009, 07:09 PM
sorry,not to confuse my dixon is what i call my bagger, it sort of sounds contradicting in my post about me buying a bagger, i meant for the exmark.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-29-2009, 07:16 PM
I would give a slight edge to the 2960 in hp. It is one of those things that when I first read your post i thought, 29 has way more power. But just because you can pop a wheelie with it doesn't mean it has more power!

I am no engineer, but i think they have pushed that engine to the absolute max hp they can without liquid cooling it or putting a turbo on it. One way to get more horsepower is pour more fuel in. Exmark wanted a light mower with alot of horses and Kawasaki gave em one. If you have ridden one, think about adding 30 pounds to the back of that mower. You would have to add a hundred to the front of it to keep the front tires on the ground because the majority of the engine is behind the rear wheels. I finally let one of the guys run it today and he would sprint up the ramp to beat me to it the rest of the day. He's gotta learn how to use the new OCDC though. Good thing its flexible!:laugh:

wow! these 3 valve kawi motors are impresive to say the leaste! you give the edge to the 29 is somthing to talk about! the torque on that motor is really up there for an 850cc motor it peeks at 53.2ftlbs @ 2200rpm and stays at 42.5ftlbs @ 3600rpm impressive! your right about squeezing all they could! kawasaki is known for power in all motorcycle 4stroke engines, they always were ahead by alot over honda yamaha and suzuki! i personally want to see yamaha get into this ! i love yamaha they make very inovative engines for carmakers like ford and volvo, i dont see why not join handa and kawasaki and suzuki.

tacoma200
05-30-2009, 12:42 AM
I have not traveled much since starting the lawn care business. I am sure you remember how you paid attention to grass and how it was taken care more after you started your business than you did before. So with my new set of eyes I would like to travel around and really look at the grass and how things are done differently in different parts of the country. I know the grass is different. But I have never seen it or at least paid attention when i did. I believe that an exmark isn't worth a crap in some parts of the country the same as a scag or (insert mower of choice here) isn't in others. When I first started I had Ferris. I couldn't figure out why some yards looked good after we were done and others didn't. The grass wasn't higher and there weren't any weeds. What's wrong with the way I mowed it? Why did the 72" mow better in some places than the 61" and the 61" better than the 72" in others?

Well, I know why now. Different grass and because the decks are designed slightly different. So with all the things I didn't know then and having pretty well "figured out" grasses around here, I want to see what I have heard.

I had a teacher in 8th grade whose saying was "Learn one thing everyday". While that may sound silly when in school and your taking 6 classes, after i got out of school it makes tons of sense. After 25 years I understand what he meant. If you set out everyday to learn one thing you will surely learn more than just one thing.

I feel the same way. I don't think I ever paid attention to grass until I started this. Now everywhere I go I watch and try to learn. Does it ever vary from place to place! What is expected of the LCO varies greatly also (they don't know what an edger is here). Your right about the decks, there are so many variables when it comes to cutting grass that it is hard to be fair unless you cut the same lot on the same day, and even then the conditions may favor one deck over another. Like the Southern grasses in Florida and other places are rigid and stand up so having a lot of lift isn't always the best idea. Even in the Northern states if Northern grass is healthy and packed tight it may not need as much lift (kind of hard to lay over if it's very dense).

Oh by the way the Ultra Cut with the lift it has seems to have an advantage in thinner grasses.

It's hard to tell because I can't hear the tone of someones voice on a forum, exactly how to take them when they make a quote or ask a question. I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or actually interested in observing the different styles of lawn care across the country. My apologies if I seemed baffled by the question.:)

tacoma200
05-30-2009, 12:48 AM
wow! these 3 valve kawi motors are impresive to say the leaste! you give the edge to the 29 is somthing to talk about! the torque on that motor is really up there for an 850cc motor it peeks at 53.2ftlbs @ 2200rpm and stays at 42.5ftlbs @ 3600rpm impressive! your right about squeezing all they could! kawasaki is known for power in all motorcycle 4stroke engines, they always were ahead by alot over honda yamaha and suzuki! i personally want to see yamaha get into this ! i love yamaha they make very inovative engines for carmakers like ford and volvo, i dont see why not join handa and kawasaki and suzuki.

Yes Kawasaki is hard to beat. I wish Scag offered a wider selection (of 30+ hp) but most of the engines in development are vertical and I think that trend will continue. I went shopping for Kawasaki but they are practically giving the 35 Briggs away, so that was the choice I made. And to be honest I haven't had any problems from Briggs. They can be re powered rather easily also due to the growing popularity of the engine. But the fuel economy has been great so far, not much different than my 27 Kohler.

coachbil
05-30-2009, 01:01 AM
I feel the same way. I don't think I ever paid attention to grass until I started this. Now everywhere I go I watch and try to learn. Does it ever vary from place to place! What is expected of the LCO varies greatly also (they don't know what an edger is here). Your right about the decks, there are so many variables when it comes to cutting grass that it is hard to be fair unless you cut the same lot on the same day, and even then the conditions may favor one deck over another. Like the Southern grasses in Florida and other places are rigid and stand up so having a lot of lift isn't always the best idea. Even in the Northern states if Northern grass is healthy and packed tight it may not need as much lift (kind of hard to lay over if it's very dense).

Oh by the way the Ultra Cut with the lift it has seems to have an advantage in thinner grasses.

It's hard to tell because I can't hear the tone of someones voice on a forum, exactly how to take them when they make a quote or ask a question. I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or actually interested in observing the different styles of lawn care across the country. My apologies if I seemed baffled by the question.:)

I was being sincere. I have sworn off posting on this site several times. But I do try to post when I think I have something to add to the conversation. Sometimes I get bashed for it and get pissed and don't even visit the site for a few weeks or months.

On your first point, you can't cut the good bermuda here below 3" with the ultracut or it will pull it out of the freakin ground. Actually you can cut it down to 2.5 but the only thing I cut that low is the baseball field. If I wanted to cut that low all the time i would buy a set of low or medium lift blades which is an idea i have toyed with anyway just to see the discharge and see if there is a difference in cut. If it doesn't rain this week it is gonna become August real quick!

coachbil
05-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Yes Kawasaki is hard to beat. I wish Scag offered a wider selection (of 30+ hp) but most of the engines in development are vertical and I think that trend will continue. I went shopping for Kawasaki but they are practically giving the 35 Briggs away, so that was the choice I made. And to be honest I haven't had any problems from Briggs. They can be re powered rather easily also due to the growing popularity of the engine. But the fuel economy has been great so far, not much different than my 27 Kohler.

I get about 1.3 to 1.3 GPH with my 3566 XS's, what are you getting.

coachbil
05-30-2009, 01:11 AM
I want to add a addendum to my statement on the Kawi having more power. It sounds like it has more power. It is just such a completely different mower than the XS. Also keep in mind the mule drive on the XS sucks about 3 hp y itself. The deck on the 66 is obviously 6 inches wider. The mower weighs 350lbs more and the hydros are completely different. So add all that together and maybe it just takes more power to run the XS.

tacoma200
05-30-2009, 01:13 AM
I was being sincere. I have sworn off posting on this site several times. But I do try to post when I think I have something to add to the conversation. Sometimes I get bashed for it and get pissed and don't even visit the site for a few weeks or months.

On your first point, you can't cut the good bermuda here below 3" with the ultracut or it will pull it out of the freakin ground. Actually you can cut it down to 2.5 but the only thing I cut that low is the baseball field. If I wanted to cut that low all the time i would buy a set of low or medium lift blades which is an idea i have toyed with anyway just to see the discharge and see if there is a difference in cut. If it doesn't rain this week it is gonna become August real quick!

Thanks for the post. Don't get discouraged on this site. I have had some misunderstanding in the past, you know how personality's and opinions clash sometimes. But I have found the vast majority of people on here to be great characters.

I wasn't aware it was dry there. We have had record rains all Spring. Which in fact is another factor that plays in cutting. The states just to the West of the mountains (Ky, TN, AL, MS, FL) get considerable more rain than the rest of the east coast which is a big factor in cutting conditions. We average close to 60" a year in those states while in states like OK. the rainfall drops very fast as you go west toward the panhandle. And of course the North East and Midwest get less than the Mid South also.

coachbil
05-30-2009, 01:24 AM
It has been warm and windy here not everyday but most days for about two weeks. There are a few ditches that I know i have NEVER mowed before August for the past 5 years because water stands that I mowed this week. We have had two record rainfall years in a row so a dry year would be great. I only have two pay per mows, everything else I get paid to keep it looking good. I usually mow every property 28-30 times per year.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-30-2009, 01:36 AM
looks like oklahoma is one of the most diverse rainfall states form your graph other than texas. i know i live right by that dark green dot on nys. and we do get alot of rain freezing rain in the winter. i mowed one day this week should have been out there more but i had to help in other areas so i dont feel so bad. i must say all the lawns that are really due are pushmower, so ill be sorry come whatever dry day first.