PDA

View Full Version : first stick edger.

LAWnENFORCER
03-27-2002, 01:46 AM
I just used my first stick edger today. It's a Echo pe-2400. I know there are many who say they can do just as good or better w/ a trimmer, but I must say this thing will pay for itself fast. I edged a yard today that normally takes me 10 minutes. With the Echo it took me 3. For those of you out there who are not "master trimmers" like LGF; get a stick edger.

Just wanted to brag a liitle.

KB LAWN SERVICE
CENTRAL TEXAS

65hoss
03-27-2002, 01:50 AM
I'm pretty good with a trimmer, but nothing can compare to a stick edger. At least now with bermuda.

Stihl stick edger is the way to go for me.

JimLewis
03-27-2002, 02:52 AM
I am fully proficient with both a stick edger and string trimmer. A stick edger is best for hard edges (e.g. where grass meets concrete) and a string trimmer is best for soft edges (e.g. where grass meets a flowerbed).

The string trimmer will make a more crisp edge than the stick edger will on soft edges and if you are good at it, you can always go faster with a string trimmer. But a string trimmer will NEVER do as good a job on hard edges as a metal blade will (e.g. stick edger).

The stick edger will make a great edge in either case, don't get me wrong. They're great. And your edges will look just fine if you do them all with a stick edger. But I just prefer the edges to be as crisp as possible and soft edges just look a tad better when done properly with a string trimmer.

LAWnENFORCER
03-27-2002, 03:06 AM
Jim,

I agree with you on the flower beds. It is a little difficult to run a stick edger on any type of grass. In TX most of the nicer, irrigated lawns have st. augistine. St. Aug. is a hard grass with thick roots and a string trimmer usually will not make crisp, clean edge; unless you edge a couple of times.

I guess it really boils down to how good one is w/ a triimer and more importantly, what type of trimmer is being used.

TJLC
03-27-2002, 06:36 AM
I for one am NOT very good at edging with a string trimmer, I admit, thats why I own and use a stick edger. (Echo PE2400) It's one of those tools I should have bought a long time ago but didn't think I had any use for it. Boy was I wrong, I'm wearing that thing out.

JimLewis
03-27-2002, 12:05 PM
KB Lawn and others,

Be sure to change that blade OFTEN on your stick edger. Especially if you are using it a lot against hard edges. We change ours twice a week, or about every 40 lawns.

If you don't change the blade often the edge quality goes down. If you don't believe me, just try edging half of a lawn with the older blade then switch to a new one half way through. BIG difference!

AltaLawnCare
03-27-2002, 02:50 PM
I just got to play with my new FS85 split boom edger, works great.

I couldn't ever have gotten that good of an edge with a trimmer. :rolleyes:

johnhenry
03-27-2002, 05:36 PM
Stick edgers are the way to go. Like Jim said change the blade alot.Down here in the ozarks if I get 20 lawns out of a blade I am lucky.