PDA

View Full Version : How Well Do Toro Mulchers Work

tglasslawncare
04-24-2009, 09:47 AM
I recently bought a Toro Grandstand 19 h.p. 48". I was considering purchasing a mulch kit for it. How well does the mulch kit from Toro work on commercial equipment? I know the 23 HP would of been better for mulching but I was wondering if anyone has mulching experience especially this time of year with a commercial mower similar to my specs. Thanks

betmr
04-24-2009, 11:13 AM
I have 2 out front Toro Groundsmasters with Guardian Recycler decks on them. 2 years ago, we got a toro Groundsmaster 7210 "Z" with side discharge. Let me tell you, That thing knew how to make a mess. The grass laid on the surface, blew all over the place, Driveways, Sidewalks, Beds, everywhere. I guess I got used to the Mulchers, 'cause clean up was minimal, no clippings laying on the surface, and leaving nutrients on the lawn.

I put the dedicated mulch kit on it and there's no difference from the recyclers. I can now mow in any direction without concern as to where the clippings are going. Come fall I can remove the kit for leaf clean up, as we use a leaf vac attached to this machine for that. To be honest, I would'nt have it any other way anymore. Much less clean up, no bagged clipping to dump and haul away, and research by major Universities has shown that mulching is beneficial to the lawn...Organic matter added...Less added Nitrogen needed. And despite what some may say, it does not contribute to Thatch build up, Thatch is not grass clippings. I am mowing all the same sites for at least 5 years now, and I find this to be true.

Hope this helps you decide. Mulching is the way to go !!!

EDEN77
04-24-2009, 05:01 PM
I've had a Toro 36" WB since 2004 and a Toro 48" WB since 2005. Both are used for mulching only all the time. It's tougher in the Spring wherever the customer has another lawn service do the fertilizing. Some lawns and some parts of lawns have to be double-cut. However, most lawns and most of the time, mulching does a professional job with just one pass. I've kept the same customers for many years in the most expensive suburb of Pittsburgh using these 2 mowers. Got an Exmark 66" ZTR last year and only mulch with that. The cut is perfect and usually only overlapping more is needed when the growth is excessive. I'm very satisfied with my mowers. I cannot understand why mulching is not done by more LCOs. Mulching saves lots of time and money instead of bagging, and it saves the customer money on fertilizer. And with all the bull crap about the environment these days, it definitely helps the green weenies in their cause. Oh, well.

S man
05-30-2009, 02:41 AM
Yeah mulching is the way to go. Only some mulchers are not created equal. I think all exmarks other than the 46" triton and toros are great mulchers. Don't know about any others. I tried discharging several times only to put the mulch kit back on really really fast. I cut mostly residential and mulching saves time and looks good.

topsites
05-30-2009, 02:42 AM
I think it has a lot to do with the deck, also the operator and probably personal methods and preference.
So it boils down not to what other guys like best, but which do you like the best, ain't but one way to find out.
The good news is, this school you go through one time and it's gtg after that.

mysteryman
05-30-2009, 02:08 PM
I can see the success of mulching while on the lawn, but what about when driving over a sidewalk? Doesn't the 'swirling mass of grass' under the deck blow out when the deck/ground relationship creates a gap?

betmr
05-30-2009, 02:32 PM
I can see the success of mulching while on the lawn, but what about when driving over a sidewalk? Doesn't the 'swirling mass of grass' under the deck blow out when the deck/ground relationship creates a gap?

IMO, it's not enough to be concerned about. On concrete, if there is nothing being mowed, nothing swirls about. The grass blades swirl about in the chambers, until they are to small to be supported, then fall into the lawn. There-by adding organic matter & some Nutrients.

mysteryman
05-30-2009, 02:51 PM
I understand your reply, but my scenario is 'you're mowing the grass up to the sidewalk, then cross over onto the sidewalk. At that point when the deck 'just cut some grass' and it's swirling and now enters over the sidewalk, doesn't that 'just-mowed-grass' blow out of that gap created by the deck and cement? I am imagining that the 'just-mowed' grass hasn't had time to chop into small pieces and fall to the lawn. Thanks for your patience with this question.

betmr
05-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I guess some will come out, but it is not near the mess caused by side discharge. Besides, most people only go over the sidewalk, when moving from place to place.