PDA

View Full Version : ZTR or Walkbehind

MikeKle
04-24-2009, 09:54 AM
I am now wondering if getting a Z would be a better choice than a new walkbehind? As I keep getting more and more customers, a ZTR would help me feel less tired and be able to do more, but the Wb I am looking at is basically the same engine and deck as a ZTR,61"/25hp, Can you really cut grass quicker with a Z over a huge WB? They both have the same Blade tip speed of 18500 right? Ive always went with Wbs because you can take them on steeper hills and get them into areas where a Z wouldnt go, but most of the yards Im getting now are basically open fairly flat with no fences or obstacles. I do use a Velke but that gets tiring quick. Price is still a big concern though, the Wb will be around $7500 b the time you add a velke to it, a ZTR is still pretty much more with a 61" and 25-27hp, So are they really worth it?

ALC-GregH
04-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Yes, a ZTR will cut faster even with a sulky on the WB. Yes again, you won't be as tired. Even with a sulky your arms will get tired using a WB. Also as you already mentioned, a WB will do some work a ZTR can't do. I opted for the ZTR being it will be less strain on me throughout the day and will cut grass faster. Time is money. :) I also target customers that will help accommodate a larger mower. I have one customer I can't use it on in the fenced back yard but the front is 5 times the size of the back so I can still get finished in a reasonable time frame.

ElliottsLawn&LandscapeInc
04-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Stander ZK 61"..... :weightlifter:

MikeKle
04-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Ive also been told that ZTRs last much longer than a WB, It is common to see other LCOs using Zs on really big properties week after week, I would think that would rack up the hours pretty fast, I try to stick with regular 1/2 acre lots and have passed up some big lots due to the wear and tear on the WB, but when you look at parts, the Ztrs have the same engines(some models) and basically the same hydraulics set-ups as WB, how is it that they last longer? I am getting about 3.5 seasons on turf tracers when they start to vibrate more and make funny noises,etc. It would be nice to buy a mower, pay it off and get some more use out of it before you must go into debt again!

mowerdude777
04-25-2009, 12:01 AM
Walk behinds cut a nicer look then ztrs if you ask me

ToroLandscaper
04-25-2009, 01:46 AM
I own and have owned both, they both have there perks. A ZTR generally is more expensive to maintain and has more things to go wrong with it, however the resale is better. A walk behind is cheaper to maintain but is not as productive, yet can hold hills and will take a beating. Its not really which one is better, but more of which one suits your needs.

TheC-Master
04-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Walk behinds cut a nicer look then ztrs if you ask me

Of course, they are smaller and rut less often, they definitely leave a better cut, but ZTR's leave a good one too. There are several lawns I have where I simply wouldn't use a ZTR.

hackitdown
04-25-2009, 07:02 AM
When I switched to a ZTR, I made more money because I was way more productive. I can cut more lawns in a day. Simple as that.

TheC-Master
04-25-2009, 01:39 PM
You need the right lawns for them, they don't make much of a difference on small yards where it can't use it's full potential and the other mower can, especially when you have to re-trim over it. For the lawns I"m doing now, my mower works best for the time being, when I'm doing huge lots, I'll use a ZTR.