PDA

View Full Version : Getting Grass into Trailer

shua789
04-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Whats the best way to get grass into a dump trailer. Truck loaders work great for leaves but are too slow for grass and having to lift it up over the side of the trailer all day long gets tiring. Any other ideas?

EagleGrounds
04-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Pitch fork for the beggining, and a broom and shovel for when you get to the end.

grandview (2006)
04-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Ramp and a wheel barrel?

betmr
04-24-2009, 03:03 PM
Stop bagging and mulch mow, less work, problem solved.

redfox033
04-24-2009, 03:22 PM
betmr; is right. Mulch and go, bagging sucks and you never make enough off the yards anyway. I don't bag and if they want it bagged I tell them I can mulch or they can find someone else.

thompsonslawncare
04-24-2009, 03:42 PM
redfox...you must have alot of custermers just to throw away some because they want it bagged.i mean hell a bagger for my mower is 300 bucks if a custermer wants their lawn bagged you just add a little to the price

VirginiaLawnCare
04-24-2009, 03:59 PM
redfox...you must have alot of custermers just to throw away some because they want it bagged.i mean hell a bagger for my mower is 300 bucks if a custermer wants their lawn bagged you just add a little to the price

I dont know about the throwing away I have very few customers that even asked to be bagged to begin with. Plus if they do ask I can talk most of them into mulching it.

redfox033
04-24-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't have customers just to through away, I just tell them I can mulch it and most say thats fine. I have had a few that just had to have their yard bagged and I told them thats fine they will have to find someone else. I don't waste my time with bagging. I have a full time job and mow part time. I can pick what I want to do and bagging is not something that I would waste my time on.

mwh350
04-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Where I am at most customers demand that the lawn be bagged. I use a 60" lazer Z with a triple bagger. I haul it on a 12 foot trailer with my 21 inch trim mower, and I use my pickup to dump the grass in. I use a Loadhandler in the pickup, and It seems to work out really well for me. I don't spend to much time on the emptying bags, and I take the grass back to my house and compost it so no disposal fee. When the compost is done I plan on Top dressing and charging them to take it back. When life gives you lemons make lemonade. I would really like to have a yard debris shuttle bin. It would be awesome for my setup, but how does one justify the expenditure when lifting it over the side works just fine, and I pocket more of the proceeds. I actually saw someone mention this on this site. They cost about 4,000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7-LNCjFChs
http://www.ibbzinc.com/IBBZproduct_bins_working.html

Yater
04-24-2009, 06:49 PM
betmr; is right. Mulch and go, bagging sucks and you never make enough off the yards anyway. I don't bag and if they want it bagged I tell them I can mulch or they can find someone else.

+1.....I don't bag....ever. If I did, I'd charge double for the yard plus a dump fee if they didn't have a commercial dumpster on site. It'll take me twice as long to bag, empty, and dispose of the clippings. Also, customers who insist on bagging are generally a pita.

shua789
04-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Well I really wish I could get away without bagging. Unfortunately when your competition bags the lawn it's clearly obvious that they are delivering a better looking cut than you so there's really no choice. I don't care how good your mower mulches if your mowing anything decent you can tell the difference. That youtube video is sweet and that is a nice setup. Cept 4G's is quite a bit and not sure how that tarp would hold up.

mwh350
04-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Well I really wish I could get away without bagging. Unfortunately when your competition bags the lawn it's clearly obvious that they are delivering a better looking cut than you so there's really no choice. I don't care how good your mower mulches if your mowing anything decent you can tell the difference. That youtube video is sweet and that is a nice setup. Cept 4G's is quite a bit and not sure how that tarp would hold up.

Yeah, the 4 G's has kept me from purchasing. I actually load all my equipment on a 12 foot trailer. I bag everything, and load the grass into the back of my pickup on top of a loadhandler. I do have to throw the grass over the side for loading, but Unloading a days worth of grass doesn't take much more than about 15 minutes. It is the most economical method that I can think of. Before I paid 4g I think that I would get a dump bed insert.