PDA

View Full Version : sad news about EricElm

Esby
03-27-2002, 01:52 AM
My jaw has dropped in disbelief. We will all miss him, and all he has done for this industry. His work on this site and others has been incredible and so deeply appreciated. And his stripes, no one will ever forget his stripes, they were always picture perfect. Its just hard to believe that one day he is here, working so hard and giving so much, and the next day we can only hold him in our thoughts, prayers, and memories. To his family and friends: may God hold you close in these times of hardship and loss. Look toward tomorrow and always remember each day he touched your heart. My deepest sympathy goes out to you.

Sincerely,
Erik Esbjornsson
Esbjornsson Lawn Care

65hoss
03-27-2002, 01:52 AM
Sad news, Eric Elm has passed away today.

Everyone should be aware that Eric Erickson (EricELM) passed away this evening at 8:10 PM. He suffered a fatal brain aneurysm. Eric had been very sick as a result of a recent heart attack that most were aware of. In keeping with Eric's unfailing giving attitude, his organs were donated so that others might benefit from his continuing generosity. Details of final arrangements will be forthcoming soon. Please pray for Eric and his family. They have lost a father and husband, we have lost a friend, and the industry has lost a giant.

Rooster
03-27-2002, 01:56 AM
A true friend, teacher and helper to all was lost today!

As we go thru life, we meet all kinds of people, but very few of the people we meet are like Eric.

Eric will be missed by all who knew him or ever had contact with him.

Rick

AVRECON
03-27-2002, 01:57 AM
God Bless him and his family.
Man oh man what a loss this is to everyone. A really great guy he was. Sure learned alot from him.
Never met the man and feel like I've known him for years.

ceaman
03-27-2002, 02:04 AM
Sorry to hear....

My thoughts go out to all who were close to him...
I will miss him here.

65hoss
03-27-2002, 02:07 AM
I'm in complete shock right about now. I just talked with him via IM recently. He was a good man and always very helpful.

They are never lost when you know where they are.

1grnlwn
03-27-2002, 02:10 AM
Yes very sad. I had hoped to meet him some day. God bless him and his family.

Mark

Shady Brook
03-27-2002, 02:12 AM
Wow, I did not know him like many of you did, but yet and still, I just can not process this news. Just amazing how short life can be. I am glad to have known him as I have. Though his life was short by our standards, to think of how many people he touched, and how much he gave is a wonderful testament to this man. Blessings, and Peace to his family and dear friends.

Jay:(

Richard Martin
03-27-2002, 02:58 AM
There are no words to express my disbelief and shock.

Go in peace Eric.

Chuck Smith
03-27-2002, 03:03 AM
I just talked to him the other night. As other's have said, words can't describe our feelings. :cry:

I believe in the "pay it forward" concept. When I talked Eric into building his own first website years ago, he pounded me with questions. I answered every one of them, and did all I could to help him... I even got to the point of calling him Pop like his sons.

Eric clearly believed in the pay it forward concept as well. Hopefully others will pay it forward in his memory.

~Chuck Smith

I just wanted to add this picture of Eric.

http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/EricELM.jpg

Sammy
03-27-2002, 03:31 AM
Eric was one of the "Good Guys"
Sad news indeed.

Barkleymut
03-27-2002, 05:51 AM
:( If we could all live like Eric did then this world would be a perfect place. He will be missed greatly.

Rest In Peace Buddy

vipermanz
03-27-2002, 06:21 AM
Thank you for your ever so evident advice eric, you helped my yard look the best on the block and many others lawns too!!!!!!!!!

STRIPE UP THE SKY FOR US ERIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

03-27-2002, 06:28 AM
I had "chatted" with Eric via AIM only a few days ago, and checking my E-mail this morning I was both surprised and saddened to read the news.

I don't really know what to say, other than "thanks" for posting that photo Chuck - although I hadn't met Eric "in person" yet I was looking forward to doing that this summer...................................

TJLC
03-27-2002, 06:43 AM
I posted on the other forum that I thought maybe it should be shut down for a while to honor Eric but then I thought Eric would want it to remain open. Rest in peace Eric, you will be missed but never forgotton. I saw the picture of him and he just looks like the kind of guy everyone would like.

sheppard
03-27-2002, 07:27 AM
So sorry to hear of Eric's passing. What struck me most about him was his patience and willingness to share information to we 'youngsters'.

Cordially,
Sheppard

mdb landscaping
03-27-2002, 07:59 AM
I was shocked to read the email. From the times i talked to him, he always seemed to be such a nice guy. He will be missed.

MLI
03-27-2002, 08:13 AM
Eric....you will be sadly missed. A true gentleman!

slplow
03-27-2002, 08:40 AM
My heart goes out to his family. GOD BLESS HIM.

1MajorTom
03-27-2002, 08:54 AM
Very shocked to read this about Eric this morning.
We sent him a card while he was in the hospital, which I'm sure tons of people did too. But when he got home, he even took the time to send me an e-mail thanking me for it. Even though a thank you was not necessary.

At a loss for words.
Godbless Eric and his family.

AltaLawnCare
03-27-2002, 09:13 AM
Very, Very sorry to hear this......

It just hasn't sunk in yet. I never personally knew Eric, but he has helped me very much indirectly.
His passion for this business, and the betterment of it will exist forever.

Life is too short, and fragile.

Mowingman
03-27-2002, 09:16 AM
I am shocked and saddened by this news. I just talked to Eric via e-mail a few days ago. We will be praying for his family.

GrassMaster
03-27-2002, 10:00 AM
Hello Everybody:

I've Known & Communicated with Eric for several Several Years. He was One Fine Man! :)

Eric was Continually Helping others & was always there When Someone Needed Him!

I never met him Personally, But many Many E-mails & hours & Hours of AOL Instant Messenger Back & Forth!

Not Many Knew this, but my Daughter Autumn 11 Years Old & Eric was online many Hours Instant Messaging each other. They were Friends. He Understood her. She has a very Hard Time Communicating with others her own age. Autumn has been on the Internet for over 3 years & EricELM was the Only Person besides me on her Buddy List on Instant Messenger.

I do not have it in my Heart to tell her of this Loss now, I will Probably wait until after Easter. In the Past 7 Years she has Lost an Uncle, Aunt, Grandfather & Grandmother. She Takes it Very Hard & She will Take this Just as Hard. She remembers all. If she wants to make a Post about Eric, I will let Her do so Next Week!

Eric had one of the Toughest Jobs Ever on the Internet, He did Well & Nobody will ever be able to come as close as Eric did, doing his job trying to Keep the Majority Happy and believe me it was one Tough Job!

I've said many times in the Past, that "It's Not the Boy with the Most Toys that Wins!" But "It's the Man with the Most at His Funeral that Wins." This will Hold Very True for Eric, he Knew 1,000's & 1,000's knew him, Eric will be missed by Many, I Promise You that.

We will see you soon My Friend!
Gone But Never Forgotten! :)
DJ5A aka GrassMaster

SLS
03-27-2002, 10:03 AM
This is indeed a shock. That the 'King of Stripes' could be gone does not seem possible. Not only has the industry lost a giant but the world has lost a friendly, caring, and giving soul. That man has helped so many people (including me) that it just boggles the mind. I thank you, Eric, for sharing your expertise with all of us in your gracious, and thoughtful, manner. To me you will always be the "Patron Saint Of Beautiful Lawns".

My thoughts and prayers go out to Charlotte and the rest of the family.

Eric, you will definately be missed. God bless you and watch over you.

Charles
03-27-2002, 10:17 AM
This is a terrible shock. Its strange that sometime when a person escapes death one time like Eric did something completely different took his life. It must have been his time to go and doctors just prolonged his stay. Pretty sad to lose a good person like this

JimK
03-27-2002, 10:19 AM
Eric's extraordinary attitude jumped off the pages of lawnsite. How many minor disputes on these pages did he calm with a simple thought or a touch of humor.

As a publisher, I immediately thought that this thread would be a wonderful testimony to Eric -- though I would never print it unless everyone involved feels it would be appropriate. Please let me know. I'll also ask Chuck his feelings about this.

Jim

TLS
03-27-2002, 10:28 AM
I recently lost my Grandmother to the exact same thing. She was a very healthy 87 year old, walked a couple miles a day! She passed while getting ready to go to Church.

Heaven will now have the best lawns, with beautiful stripes! He will be missed down here, but God will get one heck of a nice guy up there!

I know it isn't possible for ALL his friends to attend the viewing, but is there a way that we can donate for flowers or something from us LS/LF people?

AGG Lawn Maintenance
03-27-2002, 10:35 AM
I'm very very sorry to hear that. Eric was a class act. He loved those Dixie Choppers. I was never fortunate to meet him but have read many posts he wrote. He was the landscapers landscaper. If you didn't know something you could ask Eric, and if he didn't know he would find out for you. He was a very giving person.
This is a great loss to the lawnsite.com forum. To me you will always be respected as a man who wanted to be the best he could in the business and in life. I will never forget you.
God Bless,
Travis
:angel:

Cutter1
03-27-2002, 10:42 AM
Such sad and hard news to take. My deepest sympathy goes out to his friends and family. He will be missed by all of us and I will miss arguing with him about Lasers and Dixie's!!!

strickdad
03-27-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by JimK
Eric's extraordinary attitude jumped off the pages of lawnsite. How many minor disputes on these pages did he calm with a simple thought or a touch of humor.

As a publisher, I immediately thought that this thread would be a wonderful testimony to Eric -- though I would never print it unless everyone involved feels it would be appropriate. Please let me know. I'll also ask Chuck his feelings about this.

Jim please do jim its only befitting to honor the man for which so many of us looked up to!!

johnhenry
03-27-2002, 11:14 AM
We lost a true legend . A man who was willing to listen and teach.
And most of all one who took so much pride in his work. My deepest condolences to Charlotte and the family. God must have wanted his lawn stripe.:angel:

fastrunner
03-27-2002, 11:21 AM
I didnt really know him that well, but i know that he has responded to some of my posts, aways with great advice.. He was a good man... see ya eric.. ill meet you up there some day!!!
jeff

BobbyBcuttin
03-27-2002, 11:21 AM
I'm sitting here and don't know really know what to say, as most of you know i just lost my daughter on jan. 1 i still fell the pain every day for my little angle, me and eric talked often about this and numerous other topics , i will greatly miss are little conversation on instant messenger , it was always funning how even after i would close the window 9 times out of 10 it would pop back up with one last thing for him to say. my prayers go out to his wife and family. god bless Bobby Bradley Eric my little angle loved to sit in my lap and drive the turf tiger i bet she could outrun me now if you will let her drive your chopper in Heaven.

1stclasslawns
03-27-2002, 11:41 AM
I am sorry to hear of the passing of a fine man. Though i didn't know him other then through the web, he was always a help to all.

My prayers are with the family and I do look forward to meating him in the everafter.

Jim

stslawncare
03-27-2002, 11:46 AM
wow what a shocker!!!!!!!!!! God bless you eric. Jim i agree a nice article would be very nice, maybe a brief biography then something from lawnsite

parkwest
03-27-2002, 11:47 AM
A true gentleman has passed away. May his positive influence live on thorough the many people he has touched during his life.

awm
03-27-2002, 02:01 PM
boy the double blades were really striping on out today.
u would of been proud dude.really gona miss u brother.
later now.

kutnkru
03-27-2002, 02:20 PM
As many here have said already, I donít think that anyone who lurked or posted hasnít in some way or another been affected by the loss of a fellow friend.

Eric was not just a mentor for many in the Green Industry but a compassionate individual about his work that shared many of his own ideas magnanimously.

My heartfelt prayers and condolences are sent with deepest empathy and sincerest regards to his wife and family.

Kris

Alanky
03-27-2002, 02:50 PM
I am extremely saddened by this news. I never personally knew him, but he helped me out many of times. I am just speechless

My heart goes out to you and your family.

:cry:

Administrator
03-27-2002, 03:16 PM
I am still not able to make a public statement. I can't even begin to imagine the ability to put my feelings and saddness in words. My deepest saddness and concern for his wife and family.

As I collect myself I will address everyone.

Chuck

watatrp
03-27-2002, 03:29 PM
What can a person say? Our loss is someone else's gain. My equipment reflects his advice. I'll never put on another set of doubles without thinking of him now.

stick9
03-27-2002, 03:29 PM
The Lord must need his own lawn cut; guess he wanted the best there is.

Eric, you will be missed, my friend. Your good will and your advice will be continuously passed on to help make this business a greener one.

For Eric: Hats off to you, and thanks.

Brett

davesgs75
03-27-2002, 03:58 PM
What a Shock. Man, He helped me alot. Every time I see a Dixie Chopper, or think of doule blades I will think of him. What a loss

vipermanz
03-27-2002, 04:24 PM
it was his hard work that proved to me that my lawn can look perfect, even if i do have dbl blades on a 21''...........:)

lawnkid
03-27-2002, 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the comments and inspirations Eric. Best wishes and my sympathy goes to his family and we have all just lost a great lawngod.

R.I.P. Buddy. :angel:

gogetter
03-27-2002, 05:38 PM
Really don't know what to say. My heart sank when I read the subject line in Jays e-mail (from LF). Before I even read the news, I knew it wasn't going to be good.

I wish I would have had the chance to meet Eric. It would have been nice to have shaken his hand.

My thoughts go out to his family.

bob
03-27-2002, 06:07 PM
Eric , thanks for letting us into your world!

J. Bret Holder
03-27-2002, 06:20 PM
The infomation that he has shared has been invaluable to the success of my business and the rest of the industry I am certain. He has been so wonderful in that he has provided a great place where we can all get together and share in our experiences and gain knowledge from one another; for that I am so very appreciative.

Thank you Eric.

Although some of us never did get to put the face with the name, you will be missed.

May the Lord watch over you and your family always. God Bless

Scotlawncare
03-27-2002, 07:03 PM
I haven't been on this site or his for long, but the information I have learned from Eric has been vast in that short time. This industry has lost one of the BEST.

I just wish I could have had the chance to get to know him. His family will be in my prayers.

Thank you Eric for what you have done for the lawn industry

Scot

Toroguy
03-27-2002, 07:05 PM
Very sad news indeed.

His information he provided helped me personally and professionally. I regret not letting him know this while he was here.

I will always think of him as I strive for results as nice as his.

Twotoros
03-27-2002, 07:20 PM
Very sad indeed.

lawnworker
03-27-2002, 07:27 PM
I am deeply saddened by the loss of eric. I did not e mail eric directly. However i spent alot of time looking at those buetiful striped lawn pictures .I loved his enthusiasm for dixie choppers and his knowledge of dixies and lawncare in general .Sometimes the lord takes the best away early .

stripe on in heaven eric!!!

linky
03-27-2002, 07:38 PM
My prayers are with his family.

GLM
03-27-2002, 07:45 PM
My heart goes out to Eric and his family, he was a great guy and always willing to help you out. He will be missed!

MWM
03-27-2002, 08:23 PM
The big guy upstairs must have seen the stripes and wanted them around the "mansion in the sky". Lets just hope Dixie Choppers can handle the altitude.

summitgroundskeeping
03-27-2002, 08:41 PM
All I can say is that I'm shocked, just shocked.

JJ Lawn
03-27-2002, 08:53 PM
I have never met Eric personally, but I feel like I have known him for years. His passing is a loss to the online family. My prayers go to his family who feel the loss more than us.

Jim

kris
03-27-2002, 08:56 PM
Im saddened by this news ... makes me stop and think about how small some problems really are.. ... how things like family and friends are really whats important in life ... My thoughts are with all who are suffering ...

ERIC..Your gone from this life but will live on and never be forgotten.

KirbysLawn
03-27-2002, 09:14 PM
I agree with many others here, Eric was a true friend. Over the past year or so we have talked many, many times. I tried not to bother him with AOL IM because I knew he probably had many other people calling him also. I would always ask Eric, "got a sec?", he always said yes and answered may questions or concerns.

I think doing a feature on Eric in Turf would be great, it's a shame that only the members here and at his site benifited form his advise, many others have really missed out.

Andrew Hardscape
03-27-2002, 09:17 PM
I didn't know Eric very well like many of you folks. I am very sorry to hear the sad news. I know Eric will be greatly missed.

yardsmith
03-27-2002, 09:44 PM
It's a sad day in the green industry...........
Eric was always about helping fellow cutters, giving of himself, & taking time out for others. He has taught us alot, & I think he has left a good legacy by example for us to follow, & I think that he would like to see that passed on.
He has beneffited me personally by way of customer relations, the fold down safety chute for his DC, & for the infamous double blades. That advice alone has benefitted my operation considerably. We have all learned from him; we need to keep the ball rolling.........
God Bless & our prayers are with your family

Mike Nelson
03-27-2002, 09:45 PM
I am very saddened by this news and would like to extend my prayers and condolence to his family and friends. :angel:

God Bless
Mike Nelson

TMlawncare
03-27-2002, 09:45 PM
My deepest sympathy goes out to Eric's family. I never met him but felt that I knew him through the site. I always looked forward to his posts and replies, you could tell he wanted the best for all of us as well as the industry. I am still sitting here in shock thinking that we lost one of the industy "greats." I hope Eric's dedication, caring and his commitment has rubbed off on all of us.

I too think it would be great to see an article in Turf magazine about Eric.

edward hedrick
03-27-2002, 09:46 PM
Thanks to Eric for his advice many times.

Edward Hedrick

Guardian
03-27-2002, 10:05 PM
I am very sorry to hear this news. I pray God will bless Eric's family. I will miss him

T A
03-27-2002, 10:08 PM
My thoughts and prayer's to his family.

Jerrys Lawn Service
03-27-2002, 10:09 PM
Eric, you alwats took the time to answer all of our questions and help all of us no matter how busy you were. We are sure going to
miss you .Eric every time I see a striped lawn I'll be thinking of you!

Jerrys Lawn Service

ronslawncare
03-27-2002, 10:33 PM
eric to me was the father of lawnsite and you could always count on his knowledge.you will be missed very much .god bless you eric and your family.

from a friend ronnie.....

eslawns
03-27-2002, 10:35 PM
It seems to me that the world will not be as good a place tomorrow as it was yesterday. People such as Eric are few, and far between. Today is a sad day. My prayers and condolences are with his family.

Greenkeepers
03-27-2002, 10:36 PM
My jaw dropped when I read about Eric.

Erics' family has lost a great man.
The industry has lost an innovator and very valuable person.
Keep stipin' in the skies, Eric.

Mark
03-27-2002, 10:55 PM
Im so sorry to hear this,i thought for sure Eric was going to be just fine after his recovery, My prayers go out to all your friends and Family Eric, You always gave me the advice i needed to hear and either a PM or E-mail you always answered my questions, i will miss you Eric you where a master at cutting with your Dixies. You won't be forgotten i think most all of us now running doubles will always think maybe someday ill get this down as good as Eric. Im sure your in great hands now for it just don't get any better than the Kingdom of Heaven, i believe this with all my heart,so solong for now but my name is on the Lambs Book of Life so ill really get to see you oneday. Again May God Bless you Family and give them peace. Marks Mowing Service

Toad
03-27-2002, 11:04 PM
My heart goes out to Eric's family and friends that new him so well. He trully has inspired me and hundreds of others to do our best at what we all love so much . I will think of him often ........

Pacific Nursery
03-27-2002, 11:28 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

hustlers
03-27-2002, 11:50 PM
ERIC,
being only 21,
you gave me me motivation and inspiration
for my lawn care business.
It made me love cutting grass because
of the art and quality of your lawns.
I can say you had the "touch" when it came
to the choppers and striping.

Acute Cut
03-27-2002, 11:53 PM
First, thank you eric for all you have done here on lawnsite and in many other ways to many of us. I agree with everyone here and my condolunces go out to his wife and kids.:(
I have shown his site dozens of times to friends, family, and even some competitors. It was my lawncare ambition to have lawns like Erics. It has been my goal since i first saw the first striping thread. Eric always took the time to talk to each of us, and remembered each and every one of us if we were regulars.

Even though i have thought about what to say all day, i just cant find the words. Words are not enough. May god look down and help his family through thier time of need. Heaven will indeed now have the nicest stripes of all. Many of your thread posts have brought tears to my eyes as i remember Eric. The lord blessed him and blessed us by letting us get to know this great man. Thank you EricELM.

LAWNGODFATHER
03-27-2002, 11:58 PM
I heard about this last night and could not respond.

I am still stunned, not to many words right now can express what I feel.

I am writting this with tears in my eyes, and a shattered heart.

As much as he and I disagreed on mower brands, we both found excitment in talking to each other, and discussing the thing we both love. Cutting away on ZTR's to smell the fresh cut grass, leaving beautiful stipes, and leaving every lawn like a picture perfect peice of art.

I am deeply sadend by the shocking news and leave the above words for all to remember.

Doogiegh
03-28-2002, 12:33 AM
**WOW**

I stumbled across this web site not much over 6 months ago.

I'm a newbie. I'm not even in business yet formally. And boy did I have questions about this business. I still have questions about this business. And every questioned asked brings on another whole set of questions.

There are some people on here who don't help people out too much at all. They just lurk around.

There are some on here who seem to bring up the negative, like you can't do that or this without doing this, you won't make it doing this, etc.

**** Then there was Eric. ****

He answered every single one of my questions, completely, accurately, honestly, and to the best of his ability each and every time. Even if it was the novice question of "how do I make a striping kit" or "can I use doubles on a 21" crafstman?"

Not only did he help that person with the answer over and over, but he made sure they would get the help needed by giving them the link to the search of where to go for it. Now if that's not going out of the way for someone, especially a complete stranger, one who may evem be undercutting his own business one day, I don't know what is.

His knowledge, precision, and honesty is exactly what so many of us want to achieve, even immitate, if only we could.

I've shown his personal web site to my entire family and even my in-laws. They don't give a rats ass about cutting grass or anything landscaping wise.

** But everyone is always impressed with Eric's striping pictures and the pride and quality of his work.

He was the symbol of absolute perfection, raising the level of our performance, respect and job integrity one person at a time.

In my book, I will always have more respect and admiration for Eric than I have for some past US Presidents, movie stars, sports-players or business leaders.

All of this from someone I never even met, never shook hands with, and wouldn't recognize on the street.

This news has completly saddened and soured my entire day. I will truly miss Eric and the presence he had on this and other sites. I am sad that I will never get another thread response from him showing me the way to do things better, smarter or quicker.

I would think it would be an absolute honor and tribute to Eric to feature him in some shape or way in Turf Mag. Hopefully somewhere, a person in the business will pick up that copy of Turf, read about Eric, get into Lawnsite for the first time and will be helped out by all of us as we continue on forward.

It is what Eric would of wanted all of us to do.

Continue to help, teach and train each other and get along.

God bless his life and prayers to everyone of his family and friend,

Gary H.

P&J Lawncare
03-28-2002, 01:14 AM
This site has lost a good man

tjg
03-28-2002, 01:44 AM
:( I just wanted to make a reply to the loss of a great guy, I also never talked to him but just seem liked I had known him and the picture was perfect. I realy don't know what to say. :angel:

Nebraska
03-28-2002, 01:54 AM
I have not been around this site too long... Never really knew Eric yet based upon the response that everyone has given and the good words that many has said either on this forum or in personal emails one can only come to the conclusion that I was a few months late. For someone to have the impact that you all express is astounding! Obviously he is a good man and we should all aspire to reach the unselfishness that he showed everyone here and elsewhere; the true meaning of all that is. My and my family's prayers are with his family and all those affected by this loss. God bless you.:angel:

MikeLT1Z28
03-28-2002, 02:03 AM
i'm gonna try to post, about 1 out of 10 times i can.

ok, we have lost a great, there is no doubt about this. i didn't know eric but chatted with him on aim a few times. this has bothered me since i checked my mail at 2 AM last night.

my thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. if anyone needs to talk shoot me an email or look for me on aol/aim MPCLawnworks. MPCLawnworks@aol.com

just think of it this way, when you see those vapor trails running across the sky, we know who's up there showing those stripes.

also, there was some issues of people using his pics and claiming it to be their own work, please, if you are, this is his living legacy, at least give the man credit.

Mike

PRECISION LC
03-28-2002, 02:09 AM
I can't beleive this traginc news. I give my condolenses to his friends and families and would like to thank him for all his help.
Kyle Gerstner

George777
03-28-2002, 07:38 AM
It is quit an achievement in this world to be such a positive force. Eric has been an awesome example for all. His advice was always on time and he never led ya astray.

In the end it is not how much money one has, but how many people are better of because you lived. Many will miss Ericís passion for this industry. A true man will help another and not expect a reward. Eric helped us all.

I pray for Ericís family in this time of sadness, Iím sure he is with the Angles and looking down upon us all. God Bless

diginahole
03-28-2002, 11:53 AM
Although I never directly communicated with Eric, he had certainly earned my respect and admiration as a gentleman and scholar. A fine man who will be dearly missed by many.

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. --- Emerson

FrankenScagMachines
03-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Very sad and shocking. It seems impossible. I never corresponded or met the man, unfortunately, but I miss him anyway. He was a great inspiration to me. Just looking at his lawn pictures you could tell he was the living definition of "Dedicated". GOD BLESS YOU ERIC! My deepest sympathy for his family and friends in this time of sadness. I know we will all miss him.
Who's gonna take over his accounts?
I'm gonna try to attach a pic of some of my work, if it will let me...

The other Eric (my name's Eric too).

tremor
03-28-2002, 08:51 PM
From my family to Eric's. Our thoughts & prayers.
God Bless You all.
Steve

Cleve
03-28-2002, 08:58 PM
Of course a sad day for everyone that has ever known Eric but it seems that his territory has just been enlarged.
Cleve.

superfert
03-28-2002, 10:06 PM
angel: God bless you !!:angel:

Jimmy Bell
03-28-2002, 10:23 PM
I'm not in the business but I'm taking classes and one day I will be. I asked questions over on the Home-Owners forum and who answered - EricElm - I was so thrilled that the "greatest" answered me, just a wannabe. That speaks for the caring of the man and how helpful he was. I will miss him greatly. My prayers are with your family.

Bassman
03-29-2002, 12:40 AM
I just logged on and am shocked at the news of Eric's passing. He helped so many people, (me included), with his unselfish giving of hard learned knowledge. I pray that GOD will comfort his family during their time of need.

4 Saisons
03-29-2002, 02:58 AM
Sorry for the bad spell check, but tonight, with all this emotions, isn't easy all to type my french emotion in english.

Familly, all my though are for you and prayer to support you.

I remember when i did my first post here, seeing i was french he gave me a special welcome on a new thread. I was very impressed to see a stranger giving me a special attention. Tonight i understand the feeling of satisfaction Eric probably had; He was proud that the forum had reach someone far away. (not in miles but in verbiage).

Pay to the next.....Definitively, Eric was an excellent mentor. First time i look at his website, i sent him an email about how confusing it could be for a customer. His response was," It is not for them, my website is also dedicted to all of you. That day i understand how we were important for him.

Tanks Eric to have share with us all your Lawn passion. We are over 6500 and he was ready to take care of each of us. Chapeau!

Now Eric, from is view will supervise our lawn, and if you thought about im, he will still be there to answer you.

Life is fragile, time is running fast, I'm really sad i did'nt took the time to tell him about all this....

FrankenScagMachines
03-29-2002, 06:24 PM
OK, i'm not a poet but last night I came up with something...

To Eric Erickson:

You changed our lives
you made us realize
if we are nice
we'll be repaid twice
the friends you've made
now count the days
until they again
may see your face
knowing they
can one day
join you
in that place
where time is eternal
and free for all
your time on earth was not in vain
though your last moments were in pain
a great friend we have lost
it will not be the same
but in reality, God called your name
you were an angel
waiting for Gabriel
to blow the horn
and to adorn
you with a halo of love.
May your soul rest in eternal peace, Eric!

Southern Lawns
03-29-2002, 09:54 PM
Wow! That was tough to read, I didn't know Eric in person but felt as though I did through text. He will be missed.
Raymond

Mow&Snow
03-30-2002, 02:29 AM
Haven't been on this site for long but the name i saw the most was Eric's. I really felt his loss, despite my shoert time here. that says alot for a man....that he could make such an impact so fast.

God Bless

Tom

cclllc
03-30-2002, 12:15 PM
This is trully sad news to wakeup too.I just found out.I am very saddened to hear this.Eric was a true friend as well as his wife.He will be missed greatly here and elsewhere.I have known Eric since the early days of the forum and he has helped me alot.Hea was a smart man and honest.If he didn't know he would tell you.H e would find away to help you if he couldn't.Our chat reunions will not be the same.I hope for his sake we continue this forum and also the chat reunions.God bless his family and the ones close to him.john

landscaper3
03-30-2002, 12:27 PM
Theres nothing I can say that wasnt said already, indeed we lost a great! He will be missed greatly.

LAWNS AND MOWER
03-30-2002, 05:14 PM
Never had the chance to interact with Eric on this forum, but felt like I knew him just from reading his post's. Did a search this morning on double blades and there's his name all over the place with honest replies. He was truly a class act. His legacy will live on.

LAWNS AND MOWER

TFL
03-30-2002, 06:20 PM
My deepest sympathies to his family. He will be missed :(

Runner
03-30-2002, 08:52 PM
As I said in the other forum, it is only now that I am able to post, as I am still at a loss for words. My family and my friends knew him, indirectly, through me, and know how much he meant to myself and others. He will be truly missed, as he was a true gentleman in every aspect of the word. He had nothing but good to share with us all, and he did just that every day. As my pastor said, we need to focus on the gifts and kindness that he shared with us, and always know that he lived life to the fullest, and was blessed in many ways. That is all any of us can ask for as we exist for this very short vapor we call life. I know we were so blessed to have him as a part of our lives. He will always be with us - in our hearts, and in our spirits. God bless Mrs. Erickson, Chad, and the rest of the family. You are in our hearts, our thoughts, and our prayers.

trophytkr
03-31-2002, 08:01 AM
Unlike many of you I did not know Eric. I haven't been a member of lawn site for very long. The very first post I read as a member was the one stating that Eric's home! Now he truelly is home...... Rest in peace Eric. If there is green grass in heaven I know you'll be doing what you love doing most......

Lawns2nv
03-31-2002, 12:58 PM
God Bless, Thank You Eric You Will Be Missed

danlawnser
03-31-2002, 04:34 PM
I am in shock also. I talked to him acouple of times on im what a great man. He is the one that convinced me to run double blades. I will miss his input. just remember him in ur prayers

HOMER
03-31-2002, 07:00 PM
Eric and Charlotte are two of the finest people GOD has put on this earth. Eric obviously has fullfilled his obligations here and has been called away to be with Jesus......as we all will one day.

Eric talked to me like we had known each other all our lives..........called my wife his daughter because he looked so much like her real father. I think we hit it off pretty good in Nashville and when we went to Indy in November it was like seeing old friends.

Losing friends is never easy, this one sure isn't. Even though we are many hours apart Eric was closer than a lot of people that live right here beside me. I knew that any time I needed to chat he would be there for me.........I regret not having called him lately or even IM'ing him.............last time we did he asked if we were gonna make the trip back to Indy next year and I assured him we would if we were able.

We just never know when our time is gonna run out. Eric lived his life to help those that asked for it, he never refused anyone that I know of and that makes him a great man in my opinion. He will be missed but we will see him again in the not too distant future. Our reunion will be in a much nicer place the next time, and one by one the membership will grow. I think he went ahead to get things ready and I look forward to it.

See ya in a bit Eric............we love ya.

turfguy
03-31-2002, 08:20 PM
God bless you Eric. Its hard to know how many people you have touched. I went backand read several of your emails from when i first started out. you and your work will surely be missed...

bob ricketts
04-01-2002, 02:04 AM
I just log on and i couldn't believe it. My eye began to fill with
tears. I didn't know Eric personally. I been on this site for a year
now enjou reading everybodys questions and replys. I greatly
appreaciate the information he has given to all of us.

Thank you Eric you will be missed on this website

Scraper
04-01-2002, 12:43 PM
Words still are not coming easy...it is hard to imagine how close you can feel to a person without having ever met them in person. It has been a long time since I first met Eric on the old forums and through the years he was always the same helpful and giving person. Through Eric's infinite wisdom he has changed many things for the better. God Bless you Eric and may your family find strength in knowing you are in a better place.

Pro-Lawn
04-01-2002, 11:27 PM
I was totally blown away at the news. I didnt know him personally, just over the site and a few e-mails. He helped me out. Sad news. :=( Go in Peace Eric , you will be missed.

Eric Goodwin

ArboristSite
04-02-2002, 03:14 AM
I am sorry to hear about the loss of Eric also. I'm sure it is comforting for the family to see how many of you guys have reached out and showed your hearts. He seemed be a great family man and am sure he counted you all as family. It will be hard to look at my AIM and not see his name as it always seemed he was on. It hits home hard and makes you think hard. Take care all.:angel:

Lance Takara
04-02-2002, 06:21 PM
My ignorance. Sorry to have never met Eric. Seems like I missed out based on what everyone says about him.

Our condolences to his circle of family and friends. Rest in peace, Eric.

We'll all be there someday and maybe I'll have the opportunity to finally meet him.

Turfcouncil
04-03-2002, 02:25 AM
I can't express how i feel when I hear one of the GOOD Guys have been taken from us. It seems the place where I will meet him will be a dream come true. I wish more people in this world were like him. Peace is a great thing and he has it eternaly now.
My heart goes out to his family and friends.

jwalker
04-03-2002, 09:23 PM
Very sad news indeed.

Eric was a great help to us. He will be greatly missed

Island Lawn
04-04-2002, 02:35 PM

RIP

:(

big mike
04-04-2002, 10:38 PM
all my prayers to eric family. he will be truely missed.
one thing for sure there will be stripes up in heaven.
god takes the good ones .god bless

Lanelle
04-05-2002, 01:33 AM
Thinking about what to say has been difficult. Like many of the moderators, I communicated with Eric via IM and Chat rooms on a regular basis. His absence is very noticible. I miss him welcoming each and every person that enters a chat room. Eric's friendly manner helped many to feel comfortable using the forums and other features to learn and vent about the greens industry. As so many others have said: Eric, we will miss you and not forget you.

Scag48
04-06-2002, 11:44 PM
I am completely shocked to hear about the sad news about Eric. A good teacher and a great person to talk to. I always asked questions and got answers from him so he was like a mentor for a young kid like me. He will sure be missed, but we will all keep him in our hearts. :angel:

khouse
04-07-2002, 12:39 AM
I'm so sorry for the great loss. My thoughts to his family and loved ones. Keep strong and always hold on to the memories.
Sincerely, Kenny House

Mid Rivers
04-07-2002, 09:33 PM
Sorry to hear about this, he will truely be missed. I feel fortunate to have had the chance to meet him.

David Gretzmier
04-11-2002, 06:35 AM
I am sad to have not met eric. posting back and forth I knew a little piece of him, and I will sorely miss his experience and knowledge. Welcome to Heaven Eric, where all the grass is weed free, mowers are fast,powerful,quiet, weather is always 65-70 degrees, no rain, hidden stumps, rocks, bottles, trash, no getting stuck or running out of gas, no flat tires and no irate customers. no wet dew, grass smells fresh and cut, no crazy chemlawn growth, just wonderful, easy stripe mowing. I'll meet you in Heaven bro, and mow beside you if you'll have me. Sincerely, David Gretzmier

BFreiburger
04-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Eric, you always gave the best to anybody who asked.

In the early days you gave me advise on getting into this business, its the best business to ever get into! To the kind of equipment to use, Buy the best equipment you can afford, I bought a Dixie Chopper XW2500-60, Shindiawa trimmers and RedMax blower. to the best ways of doing things, double blades, striping, maintenance tips on the Dix to balancing and grinding blades.

I can't think of too many things in my business that hasn't been
influenced by you. I have never regretted following your advise.

We all have lost a truly great man to this forum and I have lost a great friend and mentor.

Bill Freiburger

SMB
04-16-2002, 11:56 PM
He's one of those people that you thought could never die.
He lives on in the work he did and the people he influenced. Hopefully one day we'll see him in eternity.

If you really know and believe in Jesus Christ, what's the worst thing that could happen to you, die? But if you die you go to Heaven!

Those of us that do know Christ do have a hope for the future, and we will get to see our loved ones again!

BLLSCO
04-17-2002, 12:46 AM
:cry: Words can not put into affect what Eric did for this world! He was a great man and will me missed! Let him always remember him! God Bless eric's family!

Nelson
04-17-2002, 07:16 PM
My prayers go out to Eric's family.......

Holloway Lawns
04-18-2002, 12:50 PM
Sad to hear the news of Eric. I did not know him but have spoke to him by e-mail and I am sure he will be missed. Lots of lawns out there that will probley never look the same now. His stripes were great. To all his family I am sorry for your loss.

jnjnlc
04-18-2002, 10:05 PM
Had not been on Lawnsite in a while. I was shocked to hear the news about Eric.

My wife and I would like to extend our thoughts and prayers to his family. He will be missed I am sure.

ADMowing
04-28-2002, 10:55 AM
My husband has been lurking on this board for several months now and told me about it. Being part of the "team," I finally got on here and really like what I see.

My husband told me about Eric and how shocked he was to hear about him. We want to express our sympathy for his friends and family. This is a great site and, from what my husband tells me, Eric was a large contributor to it!

Our prayers are with you!
Alex & Debbie
A & D Mowing Service

yorkpaddy
05-01-2002, 03:38 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Eric too. He had a lot of years ahead of him. I remember him saying his diesel dixie would probably outlast him, sad it did by such a great margin

sheppard
05-15-2002, 07:25 PM
Got mine in the mail yesterday. Looked at it today and saw the very professional condolences for Eric.

This was a good move on their part to recognize a truly loved and respected man in this industry.

He was a rare man who had much patience with us just starting in the business.

Cordially,
Sheppard

BUSHMASTER
05-16-2002, 02:25 AM
I've been out of touch for a while and i am very shocked to show back up and to learn of eric's passing.my families thoughts and prayers go out to his familiy.i had many chats with him in his chat room and thought of him to be an outstanding guy.he really made me feel right at home.darn shame to have lost a nice person.God Bless him and his familiy.
You just show them up in heaven what kind of stripes that DC can do!:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

grass chaser
05-16-2002, 05:34 PM
Eric will be missed by all who knew him. Lets not let the tradition that he passed down to us fall. The tradition of helping others when ever possible.

Vibe Ray
05-19-2002, 03:32 AM
Hey, thanx 4 posting that pic of Eric, I've always wondered what he looked like! Got any more? Missin' u already Eric! He was buried w/ his DC, right?

Administrator
05-25-2002, 01:58 AM
I am going to unstick this thread from the top of the commercial forum. Eric will never be forgotten and his wisdom will be passed along and people will continue to learn through this media... a little life after death. Yes, Eric did make a difference and helped many, many people.

I have requested through Jay that Eric's LawnSite.com site dedication page be filled in with words from his family. (http://www.lawnsite.com/eric) I have tried, many times, to find the words but they just don't seem to have the depth that a family member can bring. After that, I will add links to some of his great, past posts and threads. I will also add quotes directly from friends found via LawnSite.com and other Internet sites.

Eric, I am forever indebted to your kindness and "wanting to make a difference".

Your friend, Chuck Keough

KirbysLawn
05-25-2002, 01:59 AM
Nice post Chuck.

KirbysLawn
01-27-2003, 05:49 AM
Man do I miss Eric.

I suggest all new members search Eric Erickson or Eric ELM, read and learn from the master. The amazing thing is Eric passed almost a year ago and he is still the top poster at 2 major forums, just shows how he shared and worked for us all. Chuck, can we work on the page linked above? He is truely missed.

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/

SLS
01-27-2003, 08:53 AM
I agree with everything you just said, Ray! (KirbysLawn)

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who can attribute no small part of their successes to the wisdom that Eric Erickson so unselfishly shared with us here.

He was indeed "a giant among men...and a titan in the green industry"!

He is missed.

Gravely_Man
01-27-2003, 11:28 AM
That was a very nice deed Chuck. Eric is constantly in my thoughts.

Gravely_Man

LAWNS AND MOWER
01-27-2003, 11:46 AM
I never had the chance to get to know Eric, but I think of him quite often when I'm running double blades and admire the results.

mdb landscaping
01-27-2003, 12:59 PM
its the weirdest thing, but this morning i read your updated post and how it had almost been a year. Well, just a little while ago, i was at my college in the ag library, and they had the issues of turf i was scrolling through, and i came across the issue that was in memory of eric, and what everyone said about him. Unfortunately i never got to meet eric in person, but talked to him a number of times online, and he was always willing to chit chat or solve some problems.

Runner
01-27-2003, 10:19 PM
Thank you, Ray, for bringing this thread back up. God Bless you, and all his family as well. We all love you.

Evan528
01-27-2003, 11:43 PM
Its funny how 2 minutes before I signed on LS I was just thinking about how its almost been a year since Eric died. Sure do miss him.:angel:

65hoss
01-28-2003, 01:50 AM
It hasn't been the same around here since we lost Eric.

mower17
01-29-2003, 03:16 AM
I had never had the opertunity to talk with Eric, but from the way ya'll describe him he sure sounded like one of a kind. It brought a tear to me eye to hear that one of the last few experts in lawn maintanaince has moved on to a better place.:(

At least now we know that he is sitting back enjoying what took him a lifetime to get. You never know, he might still be giving advice through higher means.

May he enjoy a life where lawns never need mowing and blades never need sharpening.:)

We will all miss you.:angel: