PDA

View Full Version : Is Twitter Taking Over?

Sean Adams
04-24-2009, 12:00 PM
I have to admit, I am getting slightly annoyed by all of the new social media type sites that seem to be popping up daily now. In this case, I think it is clear, only the strong will survive - meaning the sites that can serve a purpose for both consumers/enthusiasts as well as business owners and service/product providers.

Facebook and Twitter are certainly not going anywhere. They are growing so large at such a fast pace, people are now almost shocked if you tell them you are NOT on Facebook or not able to be "followed" on Twitter.

We have our presence, albeit new, we are embracing social media outside of LawnSite to make sure that we are able to draw as many professionals to this site as possible so the conversations and information are across the board and informative (or at least entertaining)....

Check us out on Twitter at >>>> http://www.twitter.com/LawnSite

and

Check us out at Facebook at >>>> http://www.facebook.com - our user name is "Moose River"

I guess the bottom line is, social media and sites like Twitter are shrinking this big world - good thing or bad thing?

GPDesign1
04-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Sean: I think many above the age of Ashton Kucher adoring twelve year olds are starting to "tox-out" on the isolation of electronic interfaces. Social networking myazz... Real social networking is "playing hookie" on a sunny afternoon to go pitch horsehoes and split a six-pack with your best buddy. It's not sitting around typing with your thumbs on a celphone like some kinda crazed beaver asking: "What're you doing?".... "Uhmmm, nothin'... what're you doin?" "I'm Twittering". "Uhmmm, Me too".

Twittering I reckon. Finally: Truth in advertising! Twittering our lives away, just eighteen inches in front of our nose.

Over the years, I've been pretty friendly to and made good use of new technology. I give 'em all a hard look. But many of these companies popping-up, trying to be the "latest Google", are just trying to get rich with the next cool thing. They're attempting to provide answers to questions that I don't think anyone is really asking. In the process, they risk adding to the clutter and overwhelming "din of hi-speed blather" to such a degree that the information overload threatens to make us insane. Far from social, the isolation imposed by all of our machines should probably more aptly be named anti-networking. I often see families riding down the highway- Kids in the backseat texting away or watching the electronic babysitter while Mom and/or Dad sit in the front, chatting on their celphone. Four strangers sharing a vehicle, while they talk with four other strangers about crap that doesn't matter. No. I'm not looking for any more interface devices that utilize a screen, a speaker or a keyboard. Got plenty, thanks. We're sorry... all available circuits are currently busy.

I've been blessed with a lotta folks to love and I love 'em with all my heart. But I don't want a real-time account of everything that's happening- there's just too many (boring) details in the world for one human to keep track of it all- I'm not equipped with that much mental storage capacity anyway.

But bring over some beers, a lawnchair and a set 'o shoes and I'll be happy to hear the summary and tell ya the more interesting parts of mine. Besides... ya can't grill porkchops on Facebook.

GFTC
04-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Amen Gary! Nothing like a little face-to-face to break the monotony (sp?) of communicating with our thumbs.
BTW, thanks for the updated clutch, it was very much appreciated.

Brandon Grosko
Grosko Family Lawn & Tree Care
Kansas City, MO

lifetree
04-24-2009, 10:26 PM
... Social networking myazz ... Real social networking is "playing hookie" on a sunny afternoon to go pitch horsehoes and split a six-pack with your best buddy. ... Far from social, the isolation imposed by all of our machines should probably more aptly be named anti-networking. ... I'm not looking for any more interface devices that utilize a screen, a speaker or a keyboard. Got plenty, thanks. ... bring over some beers, a lawnchair and a set 'o shoes and I'll be happy to hear the summary ... Besides ... ya can't grill porkchops on Facebook.

Gary, thank you ... I couldn't agree more !!

ExtExc
04-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Social networking websites are a fad. Myspace and facebook we're all the rage but now are losing their neweness appeal. It goes like this, kids find it, tell all their friends0they find it, then they get tired of it just around the time the adults and the media catch on, then the kids are like my parents are on here so its lame now, so then they search for the new thing. This is where twitter comes in. Give it another year or two and twitter will be old news and a new website will come around.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
04-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Just a few words I have not been to twit yet

topsites
04-25-2009, 11:00 PM
I ain't no bird, even if the icon suggests otherwise.

I am sorry but the whole thing, just thinking of folks talk about 'twittering' turns me off.
Reminds me of gossip, which is right next to slander in my book.

Chilehead
04-25-2009, 11:29 PM
I've got better things to do with my time than let the world know what I'm up to. Besides, it's none of their business!

Mowbizz
04-26-2009, 11:23 AM
I've got better things to do with my time than let the world know what I'm up to. Besides, it's none of their business!

Exactly...!
My GF and I were discussing it last night and came to the conclusion that kids today (spreading to adults as well) don't know how to be constructive without having some kind of electronic device in their hands...it sad, really but not totally their fault either...it's what we, as a society have made them with ultra-permissiveness, a lack of good ol' fashioned discipline (spare the rod, spoil the child) and parents actually being "afraid" to be confrontational with their kids. (not to mention the electronic age)
I witness this a lot with my GF and her 16 yr old daughter.
Of course, the internet thrives on these kids and smart entrepreneurs devise ways to make them think they have low self esteem if they are not pouring their souls out to the world.
Have you ever seen so many "messed up kids" as there are now?? I am so sick of hearing "ADD" "Bi-polar" etc...blah blah blah...my GF's son who is 18 takes more pills in a one week time than I have taken in my life! The USA has gone to hell in a hand basket...sorry for the rant but it's the way I see it.:drinkup:

meicher806
04-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Exactly...!
My GF and I were discussing it last night and came to the conclusion that kids today (spreading to adults as well) don't know how to be constructive without having some kind of electronic device in their hands...it sad, really but not totally their fault either...it's what we, as a society have made them with ultra-permissiveness, a lack of good ol' fashioned discipline (spare the rod, spoil the child) and parents actually being "afraid" to be confrontational with their kids. (not to mention the electronic age)
I witness this a lot with my GF and her 16 yr old daughter.
Of course, the internet thrives on these kids and smart entrepreneurs devise ways to make them think they have low self esteem if they are not pouring their souls out to the world.
Have you ever seen so many "messed up kids" as there are now?? I am so sick of hearing "ADD" "Bi-polar" etc...blah blah blah...my GF's son who is 18 takes more pills in a one week time than I have taken in my life! The USA has gone to hell in a hand basket...sorry for the rant but it's the way I see it.:drinkup:

AMEN!!!! you nailed it!!! my ex wife and my sons teacher had my son put on ADD meds because they dont know how to discipine him effectivle!! why parent/teach if we can just drug them up? i believe this is their theroy, pisses me off!! I do have a facebook page, i use it to communicate partys things of that nature, show off some works i have done,and talk to family thats all over the country but thats about it. I dont twitter and have no plans to start,

12Valve
04-30-2009, 11:05 PM
I got a facebook and a myspace but seldom go on once or twice a month. I have heard about twitter but I have never been or wish to start on it. I cant begin to tell how much I hate text messages, I have a pefertly good phone and I use it to talk on......

Total Grounds Maintenance
08-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Hey, I hear you all but.........aren't you all sorta doing the same thing hear on this site. Right??

Az Gardener
08-15-2009, 12:04 AM
I was at a horticulture conference all day and I stayed in the business track. The last speaker talked exclusively about social media. Its about the 3rd time this year I have listened to someone held up as a professional tell me that I need to be participating in this marketing genera. I have consistently poo pooed the idea except that I just got a new client through my linkedin page. So I am beginning to re think the whole social media thing. I hate the the thought of it as much as the rest of you. He said we should be participating in this order...

Professional web site with current content
Blog with educational information, tutorials, etc.
Twitter discussing current projects, with pictures

He presented it as the new word of mouth type of referral system. So if you are perceived as a professional/good guy you will be referred even by people who have never used your service, just based on your social media reputation :dizzy: Hey I don't make the rules I just play by them.