PDA

View Full Version : Don't like my Exmark 21"

Bullet481
04-24-2009, 09:05 PM
First day out with the mower and very disappointed. I don't think it cuts any better than my $400 Personal Pace Toro I wanted to replace. The grass was a little tall, but why should there be blades of grass still standing? It wasn't alot but still...... I had to double cut the lawn. Mower is back at shop now. Trying to see how I can get out of it. Looks like I'm going to eat a 20% restocking fee. I am honestly thinking about just getting a 32". Am I just biased against anything other than a true walk behind. I cut with an Exmark 48" belt drive and Walker 48" GHS. Is it I'm just to use to the cut the larger machines produce?

sslopok
04-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Wow I don't think I would eat a 20% restocking fee. Put it on ebay and get almost all of your money back. Did you sharpen the blades before you took it on its maiden voyage? They are not all that sharp from the factory. I am going to make sure I demo everything from now on after reading some of the stories on here.
good luck with the dealer.
sslopok

DT Lawn Care
04-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Sharpen the blade and see what happens. That shouldn't happen unless it's the wrong blade or it's the blade's not right. GL

Bullet481
04-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Im afraid the very few blades I saw I might be making too big a deal. But why should I be seeing any right?

Bullet481
04-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Wow I don't think I would eat a 20% restocking fee. Put it on ebay and get almost all of your money back. Did you sharpen the blades before you took it on its maiden voyage? They are not all that sharp from the factory. I am going to make sure I demo everything from now on after reading some of the stories on here.
good luck with the dealer.
sslopok

I did not sharpen the blade before I used it.

TheC-Master
04-24-2009, 10:26 PM
I have one and mine cuts great and fast, I did a lawn with it in under ten minutes, Even with a WB you can go over something twice if you go super fast and cut super low on a high speed... but the higher the deck and the slower you got the more thorough the cut. It doesn't have the power of my TTHP, but is is still a great mower.

markahurley
04-24-2009, 10:51 PM
I have one and mine cuts great and fast, I did a lawn with it in under ten minutes, Even with a WB you can go over something twice if you go super fast and cut super low on a high speed... but the higher the deck and the slower you got the more thorough the cut. It doesn't have the power of my TTHP, but is is still a great mower.

so you're saying your 21" doesn't have the power of your tthp WB? really? :hammerhead:

TheC-Master
04-25-2009, 03:31 AM
Yea, who woulda thunk?

Bullet481
04-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Had the mower back to the dealer. They sharpened the blade and adjusted the rpm's, said they were to low. I took it out and once again it still left some blades of grass. After much complaining to dealer they have waived the restocking fee. I have completely had it with the 21"s. I am upgrading to a Exmark 32" belt drive. It will fit all my gated backyards and apparently the blades from my 48" are interchangeable as well as my bagger I already have. If any new accounts come along and the 32" cant fit, the customer can either modify the gate or I will pass.

Icepuck72
04-29-2009, 08:54 PM
I have no idea why people spend so much money on a 21" mower...I've had a HD Troy Built for 5 years now (6.5 hp), and it's a bullet sponge.

Put that extra money into a walk-behind or something....

Triplex
04-29-2009, 09:44 PM
I have no idea why people spend so much money on a 21" mower...I've had a HD Troy Built for 5 years now (6.5 hp), and it's a bullet sponge.

Put that extra money into a walk-behind or something....

I agree - I worked on a golf course where they used cheapo homeowner Bolens and Murray push mowers that took a surprising amount of punishment. I was amazed to see homeowner machines at first, but now I'm wondering if $900 for a professional 21-incher is a rip-off. I've posted that before and a lot of people disagreed with me, but if those cheap mowers lasted a couple seasons under heavy use, I think it's tough to justify paying for the professional models. Trimmers are a different story; a Homelite or Ryobi probably wouldn't survive a full month under that kind of use (and the curved shaft and lack of power would irritate the hell out of anyone here).

mjealey
04-29-2009, 09:55 PM
In my opinion the Honda homeowner models are the ticket. They are still not cheap, but for $500.00 they are great mowers. Had about everything, and the cut quality is best with the Honda's. I've put Hundreds of hours on mine and absolutlely no problems. Very larg company here has a dozen or more of the cheaper Honda's and they swear by them too. I like the Honda motor so much, I bought a cheap little Craftsman at Sears this past weekend because it had the Honda on it.

I agree with others. Iwould never spend $1000+ for a Toro Proline or anything else. Push mowers are so simple and easy to work on and keep running. Don't nobody dog me, but I actually really like the Craftsman. It is a great choice for a backup.

Bullet481
04-29-2009, 10:16 PM
In my opinion the Honda homeowner models are the ticket. They are still not cheap, but for $500.00 they are great mowers. Had about everything, and the cut quality is best with the Honda's. I've put Hundreds of hours on mine and absolutlely no problems. Very larg company here has a dozen or more of the cheaper Honda's and they swear by them too. I like the Honda motor so much, I bought a cheap little Craftsman at Sears this past weekend because it had the Honda on it.

I agree with others. Iwould never spend $1000+ for a Toro Proline or anything else. Push mowers are so simple and easy to work on and keep running. Don't nobody dog me, but I actually really like the Craftsman. It is a great choice for a backup.

I actually just talked to one of my competitors the day I was dropping the Metro 21 back off at dealers. He actually told me he has since sold his Metro's and bought Honda's with the double blade and prefers them as well.

Roger
04-29-2009, 10:25 PM
I started out the season a month ago with a new Honda HRX, Cruise Control model. I've posted an initial review, and will update it shortly. As of now, I only have a little over 100 service hours, maybe 125, on the machine, so don't have much experience. I had used staggered wheeled LawnBoy hand mower for years.

As for the double blades, they are a blessing and a curse. In ideal conditions, they do a really nice job mulching, much better than expected. They have already saved much bagging that we formerly were doing on the same properties. But, their downside is real trouble when bagging in heavy mowing conditions, such as long, sappy grass, damp weather. In these conditions, I would much prefer a single, high lift blade for "cut once, out the chute, into the bag." I've posted a thread asking for help in this regard, and made some other inquiries -- no single blade configuration for these mowers. All the green mush packs out on the underside of the deck, requiring frequent deck cleanings.

Unfortunately, we have those unfavorable conditions often (e.g. until about 2:00 p.m. today!). The double blades makes mush and green wads of the clippings because of all the recutting.

Bullet481
04-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I started out the season a month ago with a new Honda HRX, Cruise Control model. I've posted an initial review, and will update it shortly. As of now, I only have a little over 100 service hours, maybe 125, on the machine, so don't have much experience. I had used staggered wheeled LawnBoy hand mower for years.

As for the double blades, they are a blessing and a curse. In ideal conditions, they do a really nice job mulching, much better than expected. They have already saved much bagging that we formerly were doing on the same properties. But, their downside is real trouble when bagging in heavy mowing conditions, such as long, sappy grass, damp weather. In these conditions, I would much prefer a single, high lift blade for "cut once, out the chute, into the bag." I've posted a thread asking for help in this regard, and made some other inquiries -- no single blade configuration for these mowers. All the green mush packs out on the underside of the deck, requiring frequent deck cleanings.

Unfortunately, we have those unfavorable conditions often (e.g. until about 2:00 p.m. today!). The double blades makes mush and green wads of the clippings because of all the recutting.

See, this response is actually the reason I feel I'm biased anymore about 21" mowers. It seems like when it comes to the 21"s one is always better than another for particular reasons, Example: bagging vs. mulching. I just cant seem to find the 21" that has satisfied me. For me there is no happy medium. Its always one or the other. That is why I decided to shell out the bucks and get a true Walkbehind. I don't really have any complaints about my current walkbehind. It cuts good and bags good.

DT Lawn Care
04-29-2009, 10:41 PM
It's good you guys are trying to find the medium 21" and I hope it works out for you, but I bought two Honda HRT216 $480 lawnmowers brand new and the trannies went out after like 150 hours or less. So I'm not a big fan of Honda but I would like to try some different models and see if they're better. That was also like 6-7 years ago. I've been running used Toro consumer model Prolines for four years now with Blade brake clutches, OHV motors, and 3-speed trannies and they work and cut great. I pick them up for around $100 all the time. I've got like 1,500 hours on a couple of them, and I only have had to put new transmissions in a couple of them also (Transmissions on these Toros are also really easy to take out and replace and it only takes like 20 minutes), and when you need a tranny buy a parts mower for like 30 bucks and use the one out of that.

Just my 2 cents. GL

TheC-Master
04-29-2009, 11:12 PM
I agree - I worked on a golf course where they used cheapo homeowner Bolens and Murray push mowers that took a surprising amount of punishment. I was amazed to see homeowner machines at first, but now I'm wondering if $900 for a professional 21-incher is a rip-off. I've posted that before and a lot of people disagreed with me, but if those cheap mowers lasted a couple seasons under heavy use, I think it's tough to justify paying for the professional models. Trimmers are a different story; a Homelite or Ryobi probably wouldn't survive a full month under that kind of use (and the curved shaft and lack of power would irritate the hell out of anyone here). Well mowers last longer in general than handhelds like weed whackers. My riding Scotts lasted me 10 years. But you don't get the job done as fast or as well. I did a small lawn with my push in about 10 minutes are so, front and back,it moves fast. The ExMark 21 has good speed and when you learn how to "tap" the self propulsion engage on corners you can get a lot of work done pretty fast on the yards you need it for. Do you absolutely positively need one? Depends on what you want to do, but I know mine will last me a long time. I also like the big gas tank on it, 1 gallon will go for a while in such a small mower on limited use.

Lbilawncare
04-30-2009, 01:35 AM
I bought a BBC Toro Personal Pace for $400, the Commercial model was $1300. If it wears out I'll buy another one or put steel wheels on it (so far that is the only negative) It probably won't last quite as long, but I can buy three of them for the money. For the little it gets used I think it's a fair machine.

Roger
04-30-2009, 06:00 AM
Bullet ... But, there are good reasons why some of us run 21" mowers extensively. In my area, it is rare not to see a 21" mower on the trailer with loads of other larger equipment (w/b, ZTR). In some cases, the trailer has three 21" hand mowers. The w/b you suggest also has its place, but will not satisfy the needs of the contractor. Therefore, we are all searching for the best 21" hand mower that is productive, has longevity (our machine gets used 600-700 hours per season), and produces good results.

On a side note, I NEVER see any of the small w/b mowers in this area, such as the 32" machine. I have a 36" w/b, and I think I'm the rare exception for a machine that size. I know one contractor who uses the 34" (? maybe 36") TroyBuilt machines, with 11hp B&S engines. Not doing a scientific survey, but my perception is the most common equipment is 48" (w/b or ZTR), and at least one 21" hand mower. A 60" machine is very rare.