PDA

View Full Version : Considering Echo PB-251 Handheld Blower

reiterch
04-24-2009, 10:07 PM
I've decided to break down and buy a gas blower. The battery powered jobby I've been using just doesn't cut it (it was a gift).

I own and have used a mix of Husqvarna, Stihl, and Echo equipment. I've been really happy with the performance/price ratio of my Echo stuff (cs-346 and cs-670 chainsaws) so I've got my eye on the Echo PB-251 hand held blower.

I'm curious if anybody has any opinions of this blower. I've been reading around and they seem hard to come by. I've seen alot of negatives about the Husqvarna blower that is near the price point of the PB-251, and I'm hesitant to check out the Stihl lineup since franky Stihl is synonymous with high price (IMO).

I plan on using it to blow leaves, grass, and dry the cars when I'm done washing them. My usage will be very light, I could probably get away with a cheap Homelite or something but I can afford the Echo, so I'd rather go with it. Any help is appreciated.

Chris
www.StoveNet.com (http://www.stovenet.com) - The Global Stove and Hearth Forum

MikeKle
04-24-2009, 11:05 PM
In my opinion handheld blowers are not worth the money, they are just too weak, Buy a lightly used Stihl backpack Br-550 works real nice and you could probably pick up one used for the same money your going to spend on the echo, Plus youll be there all day using a handheld for leaf jobs! Even though it is used it should serve your purposes pretty well, the stihls are a bit heavy but if you want power thats the price. I paid $400 brand new for mine 2 years ago, and it is worth every penny

coxslawncare
04-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Bought a 251 last year to use on small stuff and about 4 months later it lost power. It will start up no problem but never revs up like it should. Before that it worked well for small drives and sidewalks. I only used it on yards where the customers would come out to talk to me on a regular basis that way I didnt have to take the backpack blower off to restart it

reiterch
04-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Bought a 251 last year to use on small stuff and about 4 months later it lost power. It will start up no problem but never revs up like it should. Before that it worked well for small drives and sidewalks. I only used it on yards where the customers would come out to talk to me on a regular basis that way I didnt have to take the backpack blower off to restart it

Did you bother to take it in for service?

J&R Landscaping
04-25-2009, 12:05 AM
The pb-251 blower is a decent unit. It seems to have a bit more power then the prior pb-200 or 1000 models it replaced. For $160, I'd buy it and you should be good to go!

GOOSEHANSON
04-25-2009, 01:09 AM
I have the PB 251's and really like them...I mow as big of stuff as anyone and like a handheld better the then a back pack...it has plenty of power and is pretty quite...after a while it feels kinda heavy after a long day of commercial sidewalks but I just remember all the muscles I will have for the beach...:dancing:

LALawnboy
04-25-2009, 03:11 AM
I've got one and it's a great blower. Power-wise, at full throttle it seems about the same amount of blowing force as my PB-620 backpack at about 3/4 throttle. For your uses, it will definitely work out great.

reiterch
04-25-2009, 09:58 PM
I had to go to my Simplicity dealer today (who is consequently also an Echo dealer) to get a set of mulching blades. While I was there, I checked out the PB-251, and ended up walking out with it.

I've had good luck with the Echos, plus this blower has a 5 year warranty! Any problems and I'm covered for 5 years, and this dealer is a big shop who backs up what they sell.

I mowed the lawn and used it to blow off the mower and trimmer, as well as clean up the sidewalks. I like how they put an infinitely variable "trigger lock" on this model. When I was all done I locked it at a low setting and blew myself off!

It does seem to start a little hard, but I'm hoping that goes away as it breaks in a bit.

Echo has gone with a slightly different choke setup than what I'm used to. There are only two settings, "cold start" and "run". On "cold start" it is choked, and there must be a compression release built in since it definitely pulls and sounds different when the "cold start" is on.

All in all it blows...which is a good thing in this case :laugh:.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Chris

fritowrdo
04-25-2009, 10:43 PM
I had to go to my Simplicity dealer today (who is consequently also an Echo dealer) to get a set of mulching blades. While I was there, I checked out the PB-251, and ended up walking out with it.

I've had good luck with the Echos, plus this blower has a 5 year warranty! Any problems and I'm covered for 5 years, and this dealer is a big shop who backs up what they sell.

I mowed the lawn and used it to blow off the mower and trimmer, as well as clean up the sidewalks. I like how they put an infinitely variable "trigger lock" on this model. When I was all done I locked it at a low setting and blew myself off!

It does seem to start a little hard, but I'm hoping that goes away as it breaks in a bit.

Echo has gone with a slightly different choke setup than what I'm used to. There are only two settings, "cold start" and "run". On "cold start" it is choked, and there must be a compression release built in since it definitely pulls and sounds different when the "cold start" is on.

All in all it blows...which is a good thing in this case :laugh:.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Chris

I have owned a PB251 since 2007 and find it works well.

But take notice if yours does the same thing as mine in that it gets more powerful after a few tank fulls of gas. My dealer warned me about the break in and if I thought it was under powered to wait a few tanks and then take notice again.

reiterch
01-06-2010, 12:37 AM
I have owned a PB251 since 2007 and find it works well.

But take notice if yours does the same thing as mine in that it gets more powerful after a few tank fulls of gas. My dealer warned me about the break in and if I thought it was under powered to wait a few tanks and then take notice again.

Well, i've run a bunch of tanks through and I can't say it feels like it's gotten stronger. It seems about the same to me since day one.

One thing that is a bit odd is I have to let this blower warm up for a few minutes as per the manual or else it won't wind up for me. Never had a two stroke that quite did that.

http://www.StoveNet.com - The friendly stove and hearth forum.

Just Mow
01-06-2010, 02:01 AM
I like the Stihl BG86, almost as much power as a backpack. 229.00 or if you want more power than the Echo with less price get the BG55 for 149.99

WREBELMACHINE
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I started using them this past year because of my redmax carbs needing replaced. and my tanaka would vapor lock sitting on the bed of my truck! They run very well power is almost with the redmax but it starts and no carb issues. For $160 great buy on the market!

SouthSide Cutter
01-06-2010, 06:20 PM
By the BG 86 Stihl or the Redmax, Ive got both the Echo and Stihl. Spend the extra money.

WREBELMACHINE
01-06-2010, 06:50 PM
I do agree mine got stronger after using a few tanks of fuel in it.

touhey33
01-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Buy a backpack blower even if you are using it as a homeowner. You'll never have to replace it and it will have enough power to move leaves unlike those little handheld blowers.