PDA

View Full Version : A different employee pay question

PROCUT1
04-25-2009, 01:07 AM
This one has always bugged me both in the lawn business and in my business now.

Im curious how you guys handle payroll.

Do you pay everyday? Every week? 2 weeks? Is there a hold back?

Heres how I do it.

We pay weekly. Payday is Thursday. On Thursday you are paid for the week before. Just like any "regular job"

It seems to me in this industry or maybe the small service business as a whole that this is a foreign concept.

I make sure to explain the pay system and we even have it in our employee handbook.

However....

I have lost count how many guys have stormed into the office on thursday, their first week of work, wondering where their check is.

No matter how many times you explain it they dont understand and are convinced they are getting screwed.

They think that 6pm on thursday, they are supposed to be paid from 7am that monday until the time they walk in the office.

They completely dont understand the "payroll concept"

We use a payroll service. On Monday our office faxes in the payroll for the previous week. The service then cuts the checks and mails them to us by Wednesday. We hand them out on thursday.

From the way these guys explain it to me, at 5:00 on friday, they would get back to the shop, and their boss would be in the office calculating their hours and payroll for that current week and writing checks while they were standing outside.

Another fun one is when after an employees first day, he comes in the office "looking for his money" ....

Or when a guy quits or gets fired and has to wait until the following thursday to get his final check.

So how do you guys do it?

mngrassguy
04-25-2009, 03:01 AM
I'm not sure about NY but in Minnesota we have to pay someone within 24 hrs if they are fired. If they quit, too bad. They wait until Thursday.

I paid weekly when I had employees. I also explained the payroll procedure on day one so there was never any questions.

On a few occasions, I would give someone an advance on their check under certain circumstances. I stopped doing that when I gave a guy an advancement to help him pay his bail. He failed to show for work after he got out of jail and threatened to sue me when I took his advance out of his last check. He tried to claim I gave him a loan that he wanted to default on and that I had to pay him for the hours worked.:hammerhead:

Littleriver1
04-25-2009, 04:13 AM
Good employees are hard to find. I've got the best and love it. Hope it last for ever, but I know it will not. In the mean time, I'm doing my best to take care of them. If they can wait till friday night for that double duce or a 40 then see to it and pay them.

grandview (2006)
04-25-2009, 04:47 AM
If they can't understand waiting a week for their first check then they are really confused when they quit and get a check and didn't even work that week.

PLS-Tx
04-25-2009, 10:40 AM
We use a payroll service also, and they get paid every fri. We do the same as you they don't get a check the first week, never had anyone complain.

The only thing I see that we do different is we don't give them their check. They can either have it direct deposited, or it can be mailed to them.

Oh, and I would never let one of my guys into my office. Well, my office is in our home, so it is a bit different.

Pietro
04-25-2009, 10:53 AM
We only have 1 crew of 3 guys. I just pay them cash at the end of the week.

PLS-Tx
04-25-2009, 10:59 AM
We only have 1 crew of 3 guys. I just pay them cash at the end of the week.

We don't have a large crew, but paying cash is something I will not do.