PDA

View Full Version : Dealer problem?????

PLS-Tx
04-25-2009, 01:33 AM
We have been using this dealer for years, their service has never been great, but lately it has been really bad.

The latest problem: We brought a trimmer in to be repaired, it sat their for about two weeks before someone looked at it. They seen it needed a part they would need to order, that took another week or so.

We pick it up and it runs worse than it did when we dropped it off, the bill was about $125. we brought it back 3 times, for a total of 4 trips to this shop for the same trimmer.

We brought it to a different dealer, he had it about 2-3 hours, his bill was about $35, and it ran great.

I called the dealer and told him what had happened, and about other problems we have had in the past. He said he knew he had a problem, but he had hired a new mechanic, and that he would take care of the bill.

We e-mailed them and asked what they planned to do about the bill. They e-mailed back today and said they would not charge us for the labor of about $40. I replied, that I would need to pay $85 for a for something I had to bring to them 4 times, and then bring it to another dealer and pay them.

They e-mailed back, that we could remove all the parts that they had put on this trimmer, and bring them in and they would credit us for them. Also, they added that they only charged us for the 1st time we brought it in, not the other 3, and that they had ran the trimmer before I picked it up.

Btw, I don't plan to use this dealer ever again!!!!!

Sorry this is so long, but what would you do.

topsites
04-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Yes, real simple, this part hurts a little but chalk up the $85 to experience
and start taking your stuff to the $35 guy, there you go, problem solved.

At least that's what I would do.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
04-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Learn to fix them yourself and save time and money. I buy somewhat cheap trimmers, 200 dollar Kawasakis, and for that price I would run one till it quit, then buy another and keep the old one for spare parts.

lawnman_scott
04-25-2009, 10:42 AM
I would let it go and deal with the place that fixed it in the future. What was the problem with it?

PLS-Tx
04-25-2009, 11:26 PM
I will pay the bill, and try to let it go.

I just can't believe the nerve of these folks. We have been a loyal customer for years, but not anymore.

The sad part is they sell good equipment, but their service stinks, oh well.

STIHL GUY
04-25-2009, 11:28 PM
stay with the $35 dealer

kaferhaus
04-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Likely the problem is the owner won't pay a decent mechanic. So he gets what he pays for. Happens all the time in this business. There is one dealer in town that has a decent service dept out of about a dozen or so dealers. We service our own equipment but if we had to take anything someplace it would be there even though they stay backed up.

Every other dealer in town has crap for a service dept, few stock many parts anyway.

topsites
04-25-2009, 11:36 PM

I just can't believe the nerve of these folks.

Oh I know, it burns for a bit of a while.

But I look at it this way, education is very expensive.
Have you ever seen the cost of a college tuition?
Yes, education is very, very expensive.

So, I consider that $85 the payment for a lesson learned.
Now it's "chalked up"

I tell you I learn super fast, I should have my degree in no time 't all.

PLS-Tx
04-26-2009, 12:56 AM
Oh I know, it burns for a bit of a while.

But I look at it this way, education is very expensive.
Have you ever seen the cost of a college tuition?
Yes, education is very, very expensive.

So, I consider that $85 the payment for a lesson learned.
Now it's "chalked up"

I tell you I learn super fast, I should have my degree in no time 't all.

Over 13,000 posts, do you have a life?

DT Lawn Care
04-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Over 13,000 posts, do you have a life?

Wow, that's a great way to make friends with one of the most experienced, smartest guys on here.

Toy2
04-26-2009, 10:32 AM

I just can't believe the nerve of these folks. We have been a loyal customer for years, but not anymore.

The sad part is they sell good equipment, but their service stinks, oh well.

You need to name the dealer, this helps the rest in Texas that come across this shop and not know what kind of service they provide.

CLARK LAWN
04-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Wow, that's a great way to make friends with one of the most experienced, smartest guys on here.

i dont know if i would say that, most of what he says either makes no sense or does not not apply. some times i dont think he even has a real biz.

PLS-Tx
04-26-2009, 01:59 PM
i dont know if i would say that, most of what he says either makes no sense or does not not apply. some times i dont think he even has a real biz.

Thank you, that is what exactly what I was thinking.

As far as posting the dealer name, I don't think that is necessary. If someone is from my area of Tx., they can pm me and I'll be glad to give it to them.

ricky86
04-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Finding a good mechanic in this industry is extremely difficult. Most are hacks that monkey around and sometimes stumble across the real problem. And just because you use a mower, doesn't mean you have any idea of it's workings or the correct repair procedures. If you find a good dealership, they usually have at least one competent mechanic (maybe two), stick with them. But a lot of guys want service for nothing. You don't work for nothing, don't expect anyone else to. Dic-heads get zero where I work. Your straight with me, I'll do what ever it takes to get you going. Your not, don't come back. Your wasting my time.

PROCUT1
04-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Some people never graduated "customer service 101"

Thats this guy.

Hes got problems. Probably not doing well in business. Probably has money trouble. And so on.

So hes frustrated and not a very happy person.

His thought is about getting money in the cash register today and not about keeping a customer for life.

I know how that feels, ive been there myself. Its not the smart way to do business.

My policy with a customer is when they complain, the FIRST thing I do IMMEDIATELY is refund their money.

If we seal a driveway and a customer calls up ticked off or upset about the job, I go over there with a check for what she paid and thats how I start the converstation.

It knocks the wind right out of their sails. They dont know what to say. There is nothing for them to be irate about. They were prepared to fight for their money back.

All of a sudden a screaming ticked off customer is a kitten. Their huge problem is a little issue that you can easily fix for them

The conversation ends with an extremely happy customer.

And in all the years I have done that method with both my current business, and the landscaping business, 99% of the time the customer refuses to take the refund check and you took a customer that was ready to rip your head off and converted them to a customer for life.

Yater
04-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Thank you, that is what exactly what I was thinking.

As far as posting the dealer name, I don't think that is necessary. If someone is from my area of Tx., they can pm me and I'll be glad to give it to them.

Texas is pretty big. We have a redmax/exmark dealer here in Tyler who tried to give me the old "any oil but redmax oil will void your warranty". The name of the dealer is "Cutters".

PLS-Tx
04-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Texas is pretty big. We have a redmax/exmark dealer here in Tyler who tried to give me the old "any oil but redmax oil will void your warranty". The name of the dealer is "Cutters".

Tyler is a nice place, we evacuated their once for a hurricane. We live on the gulf coast, which is great for fishing, but so good for hurricanes.

We have been hit hard the last few years. I think we have had 3 in the last 3-4 years, and several others that came to close for comfort.

Yater
04-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Tyler is a nice place, we evacuated their once for a hurricane. We live on the gulf coast, which is great for fishing, but so good for hurricanes.

We have been hit hard the last few years. I think we have had 3 in the last 3-4 years, and several others that came to close for comfort.

I know all about it....I grew up in Lafayette, La.

ed2hess
04-26-2009, 10:24 PM
I have decided I will NEVER NEVER take any blower or trimmer in for service even when it is under warranty. Now my dealer will allow me to come in and get warranty parts to install myself. It just ends up costing too much.

PROCUT1
04-26-2009, 10:45 PM
Dealers just play too many games for my taste.

Scagguy
04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
I repair most of my equipment. But, if there is a problem either I can't fix or don't have the time to fix it, then I'll take it to my dealer. As far as your dealer is concerned, I would have a come to Jesus meeting with him if I were you. Let him know that he's on thin ice and you want your butt kissed now not later. Maybe there's a new piece of equipment that you're needing.....see how much he marks it down...that will tell you whether or not he values your business.