PDA

View Full Version : Aeration pricing

DRBLawnBuster
04-25-2009, 08:16 AM
How do you guys charge for aeration, i would have to rent the aerator, and the yard is 8,000 sq.ft. I obviously no that the aerator has to go into the price but how do you charge for the rest.

topsites
04-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Renting equipment for one job is not cost effective as you'll spend as much on the rental as the job will run,
how about the auto mechanic tacks on an extra $400 to the next auto repair bill because they had to rent the air compressor?

Now if it's for a loyal customer I might consider it, in order to keep them, maybe, or just be upfront and tell them I don't have one.

DRBLawnBuster
04-25-2009, 08:33 AM
SO really there is no point in doing the job cause i doubt it wil even pay for the rental.

topsites
04-25-2009, 08:42 AM
I did want to add, I am not trying to put anyone down or playing hard nose or know-it-all for no reason.
I've been doing this full-time for over seven years, and there are some Lco's claiming more years than that but ...

See for yourself what the customers are saying:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=272495

You can rent if there's more to it than just that, but otherwise I'd likely pass.

VirginiaLawnCare
04-25-2009, 11:18 AM
See if you can find a couple more jobs and it would be worth it but like topsites said for one job its not going to make you any money. I rent aerators when i do them but i setup like 3-4 jobs in a day so I can make money off having to rent one. I dont do enough jobs with one to have the need to go out and buy one.

ezgoer1969
04-25-2009, 12:04 PM
I tried aerating last year, what a joke. Guys running around here charging $20-25 for 5k lot sizes. Then price only jumps slightly as the lot size increases. If thats all my market will bring, not for me..

VirginiaLawnCare
04-25-2009, 02:44 PM
I tried aerating last year, what a joke. Guys running around here charging $20-25 for 5k lot sizes. Then price only jumps slightly as the lot size increases. If thats all my market will bring, not for me..

I hear you i try and stay out of it most the time because theres not a whole lot of money in it but its a good lil thing to do in fall if you got the time.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Probably not worth it for one lawn unless this is a really good customer for which you are performing other services. For that one case, I would do it. See how much the rental would be, and tack on your labor rate and gas to get there, etc.

DRBLawnBuster
04-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Yea it was just a customer that wanted a one time aeration job. I would have had to charge at least $100 to cover my costs and labor. Most guys around here are doing it for $50. so i really cant compete.