PDA

View Full Version : Scag Hurricane Mulching System or Power Chute?

ajo771
04-25-2009, 03:14 PM
I am a homeowner so this will be for my 3 acres only.

I have a 27 HP liquid cooled Kawasaki on a 61" Advantage Deck Turf Tiger. I can get the Scag Hurrican Mulching System for the same price as a Power Chute. I need something to keep grass out of my beds, gardens, pool, pond, etc. Also, I mulch the leaves in the fall.

1. Will the Hurricane Mulching system be OK for weekly cutting? Can I use it all season?

2. If I used the Power Chute, would it work well in the fall on leaves with a set of mulching blades? If so what kind of blades? Gator Blades or Scag Eliminator mulching blades?

3. Will either of these effect the striping or the lawn? Will I need a Striping kit?

tacoma200
04-25-2009, 04:27 PM
The power chute will work great for keeping grass away from area's you need it kept out of but it is not designed for mulching. The Scag mulcher looks like a pain to install. I don't know about it's performance though. Can't imagine mulching here.

ajo771
04-25-2009, 04:45 PM
The Scag mulcher looks like a pain to install. I don't know about it's performance though.

Thats what I'm thinking. Thats why if I put it on I want to just keep it on and use it all the time.

On my old mower I used gator blades and a block off plate to mulch the leaves. I would do a quick blow down with blowers then just mulch in the rest. But I always wished it did better.

I'm thinking I'm going to give the Scag Hurricane Mulch System a try. If it takes away from the striping I could add the Tiger Stripe kit.

ed2hess
04-25-2009, 11:24 PM
The mulch kit is not a pain to install there are only 5 bolts. You simply jack up the front of machine. The same bolts hold the dust shield and you take it off. The little devices under the spindles go on pretty easy. And the mulch plate over the outlet is just two bolts. We leave ours on year round. It loads the unit down and probably reduces belt life a little. If I were you I would simply bolt on the mulch plate that blocks the outlet and see how that goes. Then if you need more mulching put the baffles on in the fall. The device under the spindles can stay on year round. These big units mulch pretty well without the baffles. Be prepared for blowout and dust. I don't like the powerchute idea that thing is just too much stuff hanging on the unit that can get torn off by bushes and low limbs. If you need to side discharge the plate comes off in couple minutes.

ajo771
04-25-2009, 11:35 PM
ed2hess,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to order the mulching kit at the dealer this coming week.

DLCS
04-25-2009, 11:44 PM
The mulch kit is not a pain to install there are only 5 bolts. You simply jack up the front of machine. The same bolts hold the dust shield and you take it off. The little devices under the spindles go on pretty easy. And the mulch plate over the outlet is just two bolts. We leave ours on year round. It loads the unit down and probably reduces belt life a little. If I were you I would simply bolt on the mulch plate that blocks the outlet and see how that goes. Then if you need more mulching put the baffles on in the fall. The device under the spindles can stay on year round. These big units mulch pretty well without the baffles. Be prepared for blowout and dust. I don't like the powerchute idea that thing is just too much stuff hanging on the unit that can get torn off by bushes and low limbs. If you need to side discharge the plate comes off in couple minutes.

Big difference mulching warm season grasses versus cool season grasses. No commercial cutters in my area mulch, for the simple reason you can't in the spring. Just doesn't work with are lush spring growth. Who would want to have to jack up the mower and unbolt baffels all the time, not me. Oh and as far as shrubs and tree limbs tearing off the power Chute, I have used mine Power Chutes for over 800hrs and that has not happened yet.

DLCS
04-25-2009, 11:45 PM
ed2hess,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to order the mulching kit at the dealer this coming week.

I wouldn't you'll hate the results in the Spring and early summer. Just side discharge and get a Power Chute to direct grass out of the landscapes and where you don't want it.

nosparkplugs
04-25-2009, 11:58 PM
I never had to jack our Scags up to remove the mulching plate it was close/tight, and I had some bloody knuckles removing the mulching plate on the concrete. I love our manual ACS chute, and it does a great job mulching with no mulck kit on a diesel, so I would think on the Scag it would serve well as a mulching plate, might not be perfect, but only you would notice the grass left behind if you did not DC, plus it's doing the same thing as the Scag factory mulch plate that is truly a PITA to deal with going from mulching to SD. ACS or the Power Chute is the only way to role nowadays.

ALC-GregH
04-25-2009, 11:59 PM
i wouldn't you'll hate the results in the spring and early summer. Just side discharge and get a power chute to direct grass out of the landscapes and where you don't want it.

+1..........

boatdrinks
05-08-2009, 12:21 AM
I was worried about how well the mulching system would work on my tiger cub 61, and have been pleasantly surprised. Heck today i was going to take it off to do a yard that hadn't been cut all year, double cut it and it came out just fine.

marcuslawnguy
05-08-2009, 12:39 AM
I got a 48 cub and a 61 tiger. I got a scag mulch plate for the 48 cub and works perfect. just 2 bolts all you need in your tool box is a stubby gearwrench 1/2 and 9/16 ratchet with 1/2 and 9/16 sockets. stubbys will not let your hand scrub the ground when taking off and on. for me i'm pretty quick with the install and removal. I can't make up my mind on the tiger because I got a buddy trying to sell me a clamshell bagger! In the spring here in coastal NC well kept reg customers yards can be mulched but not overgrown or walk ins lol. too too wet. How ever I love being able to speed through around flower beds and such full speed with the plate on and not making a mess. I would love to go all mulch plate but I cut a variety of yards and scags mulch plates are not cheap. I think the cub was 60ish and I checked on the tiger and it's 80ish! bagger 2800 so if your trying to save money and do a lot of yards with beds well $60-80 is not nothing.:weightlifter: And yes I have tried the plate with all of the real gators, off brand gators and it mulches great. the off brand gators dull very quickly. make sure you lower the baffle and overgrowns will have to be double cut no exceptions. I saw a guy once and a yard with a wildcat with a kawi engine that was bogging down because he was trying to cut a knee high yard at 2" with a mulch plate on. He blamed it on the and I quote "this scag is a pos" what a dummy.

bryansong
07-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Anyone in the Midwest, Kansas City area have an opinion on the Scag Hurricane Mulching System?

I just wondered if I could leave it on year round. I am thinking about installing one but I don't want to if I will have to take it off during the rainy season. I am a home owner and only mow my own yard using a Scag Wildcat 52" Velocity deck. I first thought about mulching the Fall leaves using a chute plate and gator type blades but the more I read I would consider mulching full time.

My yard is Turf Type tall fescue. I try to keep it mowed at 3.75 to 4.0 inches.

Bryansong

ajo771
07-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Very dissapointed with the quality of the cut of my deck with the mulch kit on. double mow and at half speed and I still cant get an even cut. forget about a single pass cut. I wouldnt do it again. Id just get a chute blocker. I hear scag is working on a scag brand OCDC

bryansong
07-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Very dissapointed with the quality of the cut of my deck with the mulch kit on. double mow and at half speed and I still cant get an even cut. forget about a single pass cut. I wouldnt do it again. Id just get a chute blocker. I hear scag is working on a scag brand OCDC

I have also read that about the Scag OCDC but that they have not yet gone into production. I would like to see what they have in mind.

Bryansong

SouthSide Cutter
07-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Mine is a pain in the @#$! to put on. And if you leave plates under the spindles on it makes it hard to clean your deck. It also takes alot of power and the cut is chitty. Have to go over it several times. Its the blades that come with it. Us gator blades and some kind of block off plate. I made my block off plate and it comes all the way up out of the way. I want to see someone put my kit on without jacking it up also!!!!! Big waste of money in my book.

ajo771
07-25-2009, 11:00 PM
I tried the gator blades with my hurricane kit, made the cut even worse.

plain old block off plate and gator blades work the best for me, but still not as good as discharging; which isnt an option for me.

gwtx2
06-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I installed the Scag mulch kit on my Freedom Z. Does it's job, but sometimes I have to make a second run over certain areas that contain some thin bladed grass or thick stalked weeds mixed in with my zoysia. Definitely the best cut comes with stock blades and chute. The mulcher does good on leaves and keeps mowed grass contained under and just around the mower. Do expect a lot more dust and debris to be thrown on your legs. Can be a pain to install due (mostly time). If I ever remove the kit, it will probably never go on again.

BeeCreekLawns
12-14-2011, 12:16 AM
bump to the top

MJB
07-23-2013, 12:17 AM
bump
bump bumpy

gulfjoe
06-03-2014, 06:40 AM
What do the people that cut WARM season turf, mainly Bermuda and Zoysia think about using the Hurricane Mulch kit?

StanWilhite
06-04-2014, 02:04 AM
Have you looked at a "Grass Flap"? It's like the power chute but is manually operated by a cable/foot pedal. I've had one for a while now and am really satisfied with it. I think it's around 250.00 and you can see it in action on YT. Look for the later version that is cable operated....not the one that is using bungee cords.
Stan

gulfjoe
06-04-2014, 06:55 AM
Have you looked at a "Grass Flap"? It's like the power chute but is manually operated by a cable/foot pedal. I've had one for a while now and am really satisfied with it. I think it's around 250.00 and you can see it in action on YT. Look for the later version that is cable operated....not the one that is using bungee cords.
Stan

I have the mulch plate installed. But the mulching performance is not so good. I am wanting to know if the $350 investment for the kit is worth it. I don't want to see clumps.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
06-04-2014, 09:48 AM
I have the mulch plate installed. But the mulching performance is not so good. I am wanting to know if the $350 investment for the kit is worth it. I don't want to see clumps.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, ok......