PDA

View Full Version : Second day, went home packing

builderboy
04-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Hey guys. Well, I decided to venture into lawn care this year, part-time, to make some extra money since it's been so economically tight. My profession is in the residential/commercial building business as a superintendant and I love it. But you'll know how bad the industry is, so i needed something on the side. I have over 25 accounts right now so I decided to purchase a commercial mower. The mower is a 09 BadBoy Lightning 52" 26hp Kawi.

Been having problems with the BadBoy from the start, particularly with the pto stalling the mower most of the time. I mowed about 8 acres yesterday, putting about 4.5 hrs on the machine, only to have one of the scalping wheels fall off. But what worries me is the pto stalling the mower 95% of the time:cry: I took a risk today hoping I could get it to work this weekend before taking it to the dealership (they don't open back up till Tuesday), so I mowed two yards. When I went to the third one, the pto decided to not work for me. So I loaded her up and headed home, losing over $600.00 this weekend:cry:

Lessons learned in the lawn business....ALWAYS HAVE PLAN B AND C AND D etc. It never seems to go as you vision it. Good luck to all you guys and your new adventures in landscaping:usflag:

Mike Blevins
04-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey guys. Well, I decided to venture into lawn care this year, part-time, to make some extra money since it's been so economically tight. My profession is in the residential/commercial building business as a superintendant and I love it. But you'll know how bad the industry is, so i needed something on the side. I have over 25 accounts right now so I decided to purchase a commercial mower. The mower is a 09 BadBoy Lightning 52" 26hp Kawi.

Been having problems with the BadBoy from the start, particularly with the pto stalling the mower most of the time. I mowed about 8 acres yesterday, putting about 4.5 hrs on the machine, only to have one of the scalping wheels fall off. But what worries me is the pto stalling the mower 95% of the time:cry: I took a risk today hoping I could get it to work this weekend before taking it to the dealership (they don't open back up till Tuesday), so I mowed two yards. When I went to the third one, the pto decided to not work for me. So I loaded her up and headed home, losing over $600.00 this weekend:cry:

Lessons learned in the lawn business....ALWAYS HAVE PLAN B AND C AND D etc. It never seems to go as you vision it. Good luck to all you guys and your new adventures in landscaping:usflag:

You situation sounds familiar. I realized when I first started in this business you get what you pay for! That is $600.00 dollars your not going to get back. Not to mention the time its going to take to fix your mower. My personal opinion is get another mower. If you read posts from me you will find out quick that I run Scags. There is a reason I run Scags, I haven't found anything that beats them for the kind of mowing I do. I'm not trying to tell you to go by a Scag. I'm trying to tell you there are better mowers out there that you don't have to worry about breaking all the time. With the economy the way it is I can certainly appreciate someone trying to buy "cheaper" equipment. BUT in the end it has no resale value and like you it gives you alot of problems and ends up costing you more $$$$. Yes I do drink the Scag KOOL-AID and jump in on about every Scag thread on here. But at the end of every mowing day I am drinking that KOOL-AID on my front porch watching the sun go down with no worries on how I am going to get my yards done because my mower is broke. With my dealer's service and Scag's warranty I just pour myself another glass and kick back.

builderboy
04-25-2009, 08:11 PM
You situation sounds familiar. I realized when I first started in this business you get what you pay for! That is $600.00 dollars your not going to get back. Not to mention the time its going to take to fix your mower. My personal opinion is get another mower. If you read posts from me you will find out quick that I run Scags. There is a reason I run Scags, I haven't found anything that beats them for the kind of mowing I do. I'm not trying to tell you to go by a Scag. I'm trying to tell you there are better mowers out there that you don't have to worry about breaking all the time. With the economy the way it is I can certainly appreciate someone trying to buy "cheaper" equipment. BUT in the end it has no resale value and like you it gives you alot of problems and ends up costing you more $$$$. Yes I do drink the Scag KOOL-AID and jump in on about every Scag thread on here. But at the end of every mowing day I am drinking that KOOL-AID on my front porch watching the sun go down with no worries on how I am going to get my yards done because my mower is broke. With my dealer's service and Scag's warranty I just pour myself another glass and kick back.

Yea, I'm starting to have regrets....now I'm wondering if I could maybe trade for a Bobcat procat, since I only have 6.6 hrs on the reader, and end up with a more reputable brand. Unfortunately, my dealer is a Hustler, BobCat, BadBoy dealer only. But who knows, maybe it will be a quick fix.

Razorblades
04-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Yea, I'm starting to have regrets....now I'm wondering if I could maybe trade for a Bobcat procat, since I only have 6.6 hrs on the reader, and end up with a more reputable brand. Unfortunately, my dealer is a Hustler, BobCat, BadBoy dealer only. But who knows, maybe it will be a quick fix.

Sorry about your problems,hopefully your dealer will help you out quickly. I wouldn't give up so quick on your mower if I were you. Check with a guy called Puppypaws about his dealer if you are close to him. He lives in Marshville NC and I believe he said that his dealer sold Hustlers, Exmarks, Bad Boys, Bobcats and maybe Scags. Are you from the same part of NC?

builderboy
04-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Sorry about your problems,hopefully your dealer will help you out quickly. I wouldn't give up so quick on your mower if I were you. Check with a guy called Puppypaws about his dealer if you are close to him. He lives in Marshville NC and I believe he said that his dealer sold Hustlers, Exmarks, Bad Boys, Bobcats and maybe Scags. Are you from the same part of NC?

Yes, very close to each other. The dealer seems like they go out of their way and treat their customers well. I'll find out tomarrow what the problem is hopefully. Thanks for networking!

Razorblades
04-28-2009, 01:09 AM
Let us know what the problem with the stalling was and if the dealer took care of you.

builderboy
04-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Let us know what the problem with the stalling was and if the dealer took care of you.

I sure will

builderboy
04-29-2009, 12:26 AM
Great news:weightlifter: Dealer fixed the mower today! It turns out that it was an electrical problem. The safety wire to the seat had a bad connection. Even though the terminals were connected properly, the black wire wasn't seated correctly inside the terminal (clip). It was pulled out a little allowing for a bad connection resulting in the engine dying when the pto was engaged.