PDA

View Full Version : Twitter, Anyone

Rex Mann
04-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Anyone using twitter for business reasons? If so, how are you doing it,
and are there any business type sites (not sure what they are called) to get tweets (right term?) from. Seems like there could at least be a networking opportunity. also, how do you get people to follow you?

Peace,

Rex

http://PaversInstalled.Com

barefootlawnsandlandscape
04-26-2009, 05:07 PM
I am also interested in what this site can do for my business. Seems like all my friends in the "business world" are talking about it. Would like some feedback from someone who uses it in our realm.

Rex Mann
04-30-2009, 09:35 PM
I have signed up and have been posting. I am using the ID of PaversInstalled.
I am posting things related to work. We'll see if it works out.

Peace.

Rex

http://PaverExperts.Com

Clancy@SmartService
05-27-2009, 04:20 PM
This is copied from another site where this same discussion was happening - I know this post is a bit old but it sums up the way I think twitter can be used for small service businesses: (Plus there was a little bit of negativity in the twitter sticky :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFL

I use it a little. But not for hour by hour stuff...

OF is mowing Mrs Smith's yard.
OF is planting lantana for Mrs Daniels.
OF is hiding behind a hedge to potty.

My Examples --

OF is mowing Mrs Smith's yard. Wish we were mowing yours next? click here to schedule mowing!
OF is planting lantana for Mrs Daniels. How would it look in your flower garden? Check out Lantana on Wikipedia!
OF is hiding behind a hedge to potty, so in the meantime click here to see some pics of our recent work!

anyways, you get the idea -- its best to think of it as instant marketing opportunity - and a chance for people with quick questions to just get ahold of you wherever you are -- twitter is text message enabled, so you can do everything that you can do on the site from any cellphone!

Clancy

Contract Spot
06-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Good ideas about marketing Clancy.

I am still new on Twitter, but I have been learning some good things that might help others who want to dive in.

Twitter is a combination between forums (like this one), blogs and instant chat... except you are limited to 140 characters. It is like a forum because you can ask questions to your 'Followers' and get responses from people you may have never met otherwise. It is like a blog because you can talk about your new products or give tips and suggestions to your Followers. And it is like instant chat because... well... because it's instant.

The big difference/benefit to Twitter is the ability to market yourself. For example, if I create a blog and write an awesome article called 'How to be a great landscaper', it may never be read by anyone. However, with Twitter, I can build a large following that points to my blog... and after I write that article I can 'Tweet' it to all my Followers and get tons of people to read it. Then if they like it, they can 'Re-Tweet' the link to all of their followers...then they can 'Re-Tweet' it... and so on... and so on...

To get Followers - There are 2 ways to get followers. The first way is to just keep posting comments or tips that people find valuable and people will just start following you over time. The second way is called 'Piggy Backing' and is much quicker... Just do a search for other landscapers or landscaper solution providers like me (http://twitter.com/contractspot). Then click on their 'Followers' and start following them. Every time you follow someone, they will get a link to your profile and they will be asked if they want to follow you back. The reason you are starting at someones profile like mine, is because there is a good chance that the people you are following care about Landscapers in some shape or form.

I know that was a lot of rambling:sleeping: ... but I hope that helped out.

mikey.hill
06-04-2009, 08:35 PM
If you have a blackberry I would recommend using twitterberry application on your phone. It worked great until I started to get spam and such from other twitter users. I stopped using that and instead use an app called beejive which lets me get instant messages from anyone on my AIM, Yahoo and googletalk accounts. iPhone users have built in.

tradeyouraccounts
06-23-2009, 12:32 AM
@ContractSpot good ideas especially the piggy backing. Our Twitter address is http://twitter.com/serviceroutes In the process of building a group of followers within the service industry.