PDA

View Full Version : Yet another scrub story

anythinglawns
03-27-2002, 04:09 PM
Today an apartment manager calls me to come out and bid on lawn care for his complex. He tells me where he is at and tells me to come on out. Before
I make it to his place he calls me back to say that he already has 2 bids that he knows I can't beat and that I do not need to come out. Then he tells me he usually has trouble with bids like that and may be calling me back in a few weeks. The scrubs won't even let me bid now. This is killing me.

johnhenry
03-27-2002, 04:41 PM
Times are tough just hang in there. This is silly season for all of us right now. Just remember by june half of them will be gone and another 25% will do such bad work they to will be gone.Every spring its seems a little worse.

Twotoros
03-27-2002, 06:09 PM
Bitching to each other is no longer of any value. I have said it before. WE need to complain to our state legislators . Start with your rep. Explain the situation. All of us need to do it. Show the money they are losing. We should all have to carry contractores licenses. They should be on our trucks. Penalties for for violaters should be severe. Not the usual ass kiss'n these lazy state workes provide. It is time for war. Create an association. Fight back. Slash tires. Point guns. Declare war.:p The one thing I know is all the complaints in the world on LS won't stop the lunacy.

anythinglawns
03-27-2002, 07:16 PM
I am doing something about it. It may not work but I am doing something. I complained to a THP (Tennessee Highway Patrol) friend of mine about all the scrubs driving around with out commercial tags on there truck or any kind of tags on there trailer. Which according to him are both required in TN if you are using your setup for commercial work. I pay the higer price for commercial tags which in turn makes my insurance rates higer, and I have tags on my trailer. Anyway he told me that there have been other complaints and that the THP was going to start writing tickets. Sure enough they did. In the height of last years season they set up on a local road leading into a resort community. They wrote tickets right and left. A gas station that I often stop at on my way to the resort community that I had better watch out because the THP was stopping every vehicle pulling mowers on a trailer that came by. Of coures I had nothing to worry about but plenty of others did. I don't know if my complaining to him and others helped my cause, but word in the local industrie is that a lot of these guys paid some pretty steep fines. That was a start. I figure if they have to pay the extra expenses that I do then maybe it will help our cause.

TJLC
03-27-2002, 08:25 PM
I was told the only way they will bust a guy operating without an occupational license is if you call and tell on them. I'm sorry but I can't bring myself to do that. I do hope they will eventually hang themselves without my help. If these guys had any sense they would realize they are only hurting the industry as a whole.

Charles Laws
03-27-2002, 10:03 PM
Gentlemen/Ladies, I know it sounds great to make everyone buy a permit, but does this not give the government more control over us and another freedom has been lost. I get mad at least once per day over the lowballers, but in most cases they fall by the wayside soon and we get the call-the price automatically increases by 10%. I'm not confident that permitting each contractor would stop the scrubs, I know on plumbing jobs there is a requirement, but I sure see alot of non-permitted plumbers out there.

anythinglawns
03-27-2002, 10:10 PM
I was not suggesting that everyone get a permit. I don't think that would help. I was just happy to see these guys getting busted and having to pay for it.

CHAN
03-27-2002, 11:26 PM
It must not matter that you have to have a state lic. for anything. I just bid on a state job that required that you spray herb.pest. and fungisides. 4 times a year. The other bidders were not lic. with the state or anywhere to do this kind of work only me. They got the job that usually dont allow subcontracting. Well whos to say that lic. is good for anything. In town 5 years ago we had 200 privilage lic to do lco last year it was over 1500 and i have heard that this year would probaly be over two thousand and paobaly that many not lic. town of 80,000.
later

Twotoros
03-28-2002, 12:09 PM
OK> THEN IT IS TIME WE ALL GO SCRUB. STOP PAYING TAX. If we can't beat them then...........

parkwest
03-28-2002, 12:22 PM
2toros, if you're a small business owner and you're paying a lot of taxes, maybe it's time for a new CPA.

heygrassman
03-28-2002, 01:13 PM
2toros, if you're a small business owner and you're paying a lot of taxes, maybe it's time for a new CPA.

yep.. llc

proline32
03-28-2002, 03:51 PM
Gentlemen,

Having the government get involved is not going to solve these issues.... Rather having a discussion with any new LCO you see will help plenty if you let them know that they ARE undercharging for services and they need to know that they are only hurting themselves more than they hurt an established LCO... The problems I see are the under the table scrubs that do not pay taxes and are not legit.... these are the guys you need to go after, find out who they are and report them to your department of revenue. I do not have a problem with an LCO that is legit ,has a license, and pay taxes..... If the guy wants to lowball that is his right to do so, it's called competition, most cases these guys are gone due to lack of funds or poor work reputation. Instead of worrying about these guys prices, try to talk to them and let them know what the market rate in your area is. the other day My accountant told me I was to low compared to some of his other LCO accounts, so I upped my rates a few bucks more.

smburgess
03-28-2002, 05:15 PM
The problem with scrubs are that they are able to charge less BECAUSE they don't claim the income or pay taxes on income, don't pay workman's comp. insurance, liability insurance, pay for a business license, applicator's license, contractor's license, all of which contibute to the overhead a LEGITIMATE BUSINESS, Hence the word "scrub".

I am all in favor of requiring licenses AND policing. BELIEVE ME if I know you don't have a license, I'll be calling the county and reporting you. You're taking money out of MY pocket, food off MY table.