PDA

View Full Version : Lawn prices

mooseman
04-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Hey guys this is a great forum and a great resource for me as well as many other people i am sure!

I am a 15 yr old and prolly next year once i have my licsence a friend and i were thinking of starting a good lawn mowing service in our area. I just wanna know what you guys are charging per cut, keep in mind this isnt in a city or a highly suburban area just some small rural towns and few small cities of 10-20 thousand ppl. Anyways any input would be great, Thanks!!

CLARK LAWN
04-26-2009, 12:06 PM
i have lawns that i get anywere from $15-$300 per cut.

jay albers
04-26-2009, 12:37 PM
yeah you ll here alot of guys here say 1$ a minute. but thats high in some areas. i live in a small place to and gotta do what i gotta do. also i hate to say it but your age my be a facter. they may think your young and inexperience so they'll try to get it cheap. go with your gut and good luck! always like to see a young go getter!

stevenf
04-26-2009, 03:07 PM
I am a $1.00 a minute guy. Since I downgraded to a 36" deck, I have been pulling in about $1.25 a minute. Here in Louisiana, not many people want work done during the winter. Charging $60.00 an hour will easily give you a $25-$30.00 per hour paycheck year round.

JNyz
04-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Let me straighten this out for you. $1.00 per minute is for one guy. If you are going to have two guys it will be $2.00 per minute. Just keep your quality and prices high and you will be fine.

topsites
04-26-2009, 04:14 PM
It's a little bit like fishing.

mowerbrad
04-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Just a suggestion, I would not start a company with a friend and have them be a co-owner. Usually that type of thing doesn't end up well and you lose a good friend in the process.

But to answer your original question, for neighborhood lots (about .25-.5 acres) I get about $25-$40. But my minimum charge is $25, so all the accounts those accounts are usually my neighbors or relatives.

4 seasons lawn&land
04-26-2009, 04:35 PM
My lawn's end up 50-60 an hour but with most of us on this site were using highly efficient equipment that cost's alot of $$$ and get's the job done quick so you just starting out certainly wont be using a super fast 10 thousand dollar mower so you wont be able to do the 60 buck's an hour everyone is suggesting so you will have to base your price off of the size of the lawn rather than how long it will take you but assuming you have a decent rider garden tractor type mower and a pusher and trimmer dont go under 15 buck's EACH per hour, 30 an hour for 2 guys.

Runner
04-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah,...I love that dollar a minute thing. That is the ONLY way to go, and it is written in stone. This way, if a guy pulls up with a 60 inch ZTR, what he cuts and trims in that hour (say it's an acre), he can charge 60 dollars for. Then the next guy pulls up next door, and unloads his 38 inch Craftsman tractor...Whatever he cuts and trims in an hour on an identical property, (just the front and part of the sides, he can charge 60 dollars for. Then,... the next guy pulls up next door to that,...and pulls out his 21 inch pushmower and starts cutting. He is able to cut and trim 1/2 of this front yard in an hour, but because he's a business, and he listens to the general suggestions by people who haven't a CLUE about where it starts (like knowing your expenses - ALL your expenses, as E V E R Y O N E ' S are different), then HE can charge 60 dollars to mow about half of this front yard.
And 60 bucks an hour for a second man t operate a trimmer??? Puhleeeze...
Kid,....do some searching opn here, and use key words like "costs", "expenses", and "overhead". There is a world of information on here, including an afternoon of reading just form what I have written in the past on this subject. If you want to learn and know this business,...learn BUSINESS. That doesn't include just shooting a generic question out there and expecting even a reasonably accurate answer coming from 4 corners of the country, because in many cases, a generic answer is all you'll get. Example? The "dollar a minute" rule.

4 seasons lawn&land
04-26-2009, 06:23 PM
I think my answer was reasonably accurate... if he has a garden tractor. If not then less.

mooseman
04-26-2009, 07:31 PM
thanks guys i knew that i wasnt going to get an exact quote but i just wanted to see wut u guys would charge for lawns of about .25-2 acres, in Ohio in a fairly high rural area. I also just had a discussion about the whole starting a biz. w/ a friend w/ my brother and i dont no if it would be a good idea or not ecspecially since there would be a good deal of money involved......plus this wouldnt even be until the 2010 mowing season....keep replying guys i really appreciate the advice! Thanks again!

4 seasons lawn&land
04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
$30 minimum, .25 acre, 30-40 average. 2 acre, 75-125 average

S.I.
04-27-2009, 01:33 AM
At your age you may have to just 'feel' out the market in your area, especially if you are using homeowner grade equipment. Ask the customers what they are looking to pay, decide from there if you want to mow it for that price. You may negotiate for a little higher price. I know of a couple high school kids that cut for gas money, they cut up to a half acre for $10-$20, and they use the homeowners equipment and gas. Of course they don't claim to be a business, and only do this for family and friends.

As far as starting with a friend..... Just make sure you have some ground rules set before you start. I would assume you are both minors so a contract or signed agreement would not hold up 'legally', so be sure you trust each other enough to get into this. It can be done, but you both have to have the ambition to do the work, and the same ideas of where you would like the business to go.

Lawnut101
04-27-2009, 01:49 AM
For residentials around here, I try to get about $1/min or $60/hr solo, with a minimum of $30. For commercial, I can't bid that high. I have to be around $40/hr to try and compete with those, but $40 is pretty much my minimum. You just gotta do some trial and error to see what the prices are in your area. There are many companies around here that charge more than me, and many that charge a lot less than me. You have to figure out what works for you and then sell yourself.

twocycledoctor
04-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Just a suggestion, I would not start a company with a friend and have them be a co-owner. Usually that type of thing doesn't end up well and you lose a good friend in the process.

He is absolutley correct the whole partner things never works out I am 16 and just got rid of my partner thee other day becuase he was holding me back you should really consider doing it yourself.

lawnpro724
04-27-2009, 05:12 PM
You have to be able to work for the same price as the guy who has the larger more productive equipment or you will not be competitive and will not get any work. Unfortunately that how the market is and price is King and quality is sadly falling by the wayside. I see people mowing very small lawns with a 60" that shouldn't be cut with anything bigger than a 36" just for the sake of productivity. You know the wam bam thank you mam way of mowing.

CUTTINGEDGEPOCONOS
04-27-2009, 05:48 PM
I use a SQ FT approach, and it works well for me. I start at 3cents per SQ FT and adjust the price accordingly. It will be more if they have a lot of area to string trim or a large slope. It works out to be roughly $125.00 per acre. A lot depends on your area tho. You will have to keep your prices competitive to win accounts. I use a measuring wheel to get the total SQ footage of the lot. This also helps when quoting prices for fertilizing and seeding because you already know how much material you will need.

mooseman
04-27-2009, 07:24 PM
thanks once again for your great advice, i wouldnt want to lose a friend, especially my best friend so thank you for that advice and i am not going to just use cheap equipt. i plan on buying some good used commercial mowers that will look professional and do a professional job. This is my phylosophy(spelling?) If i am going to start a business like this i dont want to half-a$$ it, i want to either do it the right way or not at all. Those are just my thoughts about starting any type of business......thanks again, keep the advide coming it much appreciated!