PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone "Uncork" (remove emission's from) Their Equipment?

4 seasons lawn&land
04-26-2009, 10:17 AM
In the performance motorcycle world for Dual sport and sport bike's the term for taking off the emissions crap for increased power and better overal performance is uncorking. People do it to the diesel truck's too but I don't think they use the same term.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone takes that garbage off of their equipment. Blower's, Trimmer's, Mower's? ..and if it has a significant effect on the power. I know it makes a huge difference with motorcycles and trucks.

mnglocker
04-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I wasn't aware that there was any emissions crap on equipment? I just make sure all my goods aren't approved for sale in California.

shovelracer
04-26-2009, 10:46 AM
many moons ago I worked for a guy that was told if he took the spark arrestor screens out of the blowers they would make more power. He did so. Well no noticable power was made, but 2 melted vinyl siding pieces and one small leaf fire later the screens were back in.

leafitalawn
04-26-2009, 12:08 PM
In the performance motorcycle world for Dual sport and sport bike's the term for taking off the emissions crap for increased power and better overal performance is uncorking. People do it to the diesel truck's too but I don't think they use the same term.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone takes that garbage off of their equipment. Blower's, Trimmer's, Mower's? ..and if it has a significant effect on the power. I know it makes a huge difference with motorcycles and trucks.

Yep, the screens come off right after the trimmer guards do! Not really that there will be any difference in power, however, you will not ever have to clean them though..

Richard Martin
04-26-2009, 01:49 PM
About the only emissions stuff I ever see are catalitic convertors. If you want they're pretty easy to dispose of. Most equipment with cats is the same as equipment without cats. Just swap out the cat muffler for a regular muffler. It makes the equipment a little lighter.

JNyz
04-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Just take the screens out on the two cycle equipment.

topsites
04-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Yep, the screens come off right after the trimmer guards do!
Just take the screens out on the two cycle equipment.

Those silly screens are not emissions equipment, they are Spark Stoppers!

2 melted vinyl siding pieces and one small leaf fire later the screens were back in.

Right, right.

4 seasons lawn&land
04-26-2009, 03:24 PM
guess I am mistaken on how the stuff is built. you alway's hear that the blower companies or trimmer companies have to comply to new emmissions. So how do they reduce emissions?

jkilov
04-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Removing the spark screen is a fire hazard and increases noise. Though may operators get away with it for a lifetime, you might get unlucky.

Trimming grass near i-55 on a hot day, the muffler farts a chunk of glowing carbon. You can't even see it in daylight and drive off. A breeze picks up igniting that chunk and the dry grass it sits on. The resulting fire blows smoke on the highway causing a collision. People from the NTSB show up at my door.

I know it's a surreal scenario, but something I want to avoid.

LawnTamer
04-26-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't remove much, but cleaning exhaust ports makes a huge difference in performance. Ports gunk up slowly so you don't notice the drop in power, till you clean them.

Richard Martin
04-26-2009, 04:57 PM
guess I am mistaken on how the stuff is built. you alway's hear that the blower companies or trimmer companies have to comply to new emmissions. So how do they reduce emissions?

By making their 2 strokes more efficient and making the carbs unadjustable. The next round of emissions standards will run a lot of 2 stroke engines off. The 4 stroke engines are slowly working toward mandatory EFI.

BigChevy80
04-26-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't own any equipment with emission controls, but you bet your heiney I'd be pulling it off if it did! I usually pull the cats off all my cars too. You can sell them to the junk metal recyclers for 40-50 apiece usually.