PDA

View Full Version : Toro ZMaster Performance?

MCT Lawn Systems
04-26-2009, 02:11 PM
A question for those who ride upon Toro ZTs. If I am doing a mix of of commercial and resi accounts (account list made up of approximately 15 commercial and 35 resi, all of which contain very few hills if any); will a commercial 48" ZMaster with a 19hp kawi have sufficient power to tackle my needs?

thanks for the help

Michael

QualityLawnCare4u
04-26-2009, 02:18 PM
I have an Exmark with the 19 kaw and 48" deck which is basically the same thing as the Toro. Also have a deere 717A with the same engine/deck. For basic mowing it has handled everything I have throwed at it. However, with the bagging unit or mulching kit I wished it had a bigger engine. Overall I have been satisfied with the mower but if you are going to be bagging or cutting heavy growth you will want the bigger engine. Heck, there is no such thing as to much power!

michaelee2
04-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Like he says if you are going to mulch,bag or have alot of hills go with at least a 23 Kaw. I have a 46" 19 Kaw and it is great for what I do.

MCT Lawn Systems
04-26-2009, 03:45 PM
thanks for the replies, very insightful. one more question if i may. would the power be sufficient if i mulched using gator blades instead of using a mulching kit or bagging system?

mowerbrad
04-26-2009, 04:14 PM
If you will just be discharging using the gator blades then you will be fine. But if you start actually mulching by putting the blocker on the discharge, then a larger engine would be nicer. I always suggest getting a little more power than you think you may need to be able to accomidate using a bagger or mulching kit later on.

IdealLawnCare
04-26-2009, 06:42 PM
I have a 19hp 52" and it seems to be powered ok but going up steep hills pulling a pull behind aerator you can hear it bogg down just a bit. So far for mowing it seems good.

FF1809
04-26-2009, 07:02 PM
I have a Toro Zmaster w/ a 21hp Kawi and a 48" deck. The mower will go through anything, just keep a clean deck and change/sharpen the blades regularly. I do realy enjoy the ride comfort and smooth controls.

Robbie

hitechlm
04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
why would you buy a 48" ztr, why not save some money and buy a 48" walk behind. I think any ztr under 60" is a big waste of money, or people are just to lazy to walk that buy them

michaelee2
04-26-2009, 07:53 PM
I bought a 46" because alot of places in the yards I mow you can not fit a 60" in. If I could have used a 60 then I would have probably got me a 60. :dizzy:

QualityLawnCare4u
04-26-2009, 08:00 PM
why would you buy a 48" ztr, why not save some money and buy a 48" walk behind. I think any ztr under 60" is a big waste of money, or people are just to lazy to walk that buy them

I beg to differ with you there. I had a 60" and it was to dang big for most of my yards with all the flowers and ornaments in the yard and we ain't talking about postage stamp size yards neither. Mine are anywhere from 1 acre up except a few and at my age I sure ain't doing no walking. Did plenty of it in my younger days. The 48" for me is and has been the perfect sze.

hitechlm
04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
I bought a 46" because alot of places in the yards I mow you can not fit a 60" in. If I could have used a 60 then I would have probably got me a 60. :dizzy:

I never said that i recommend buying a 60", i just said that anything under a 60" is a waste of money, they shouldnt even make them. Only lazy people who dont want to walk buy them. I have 3 60" ztrs and we only use them for large area's. All a ztr is going to do in tight confined space is tear up the grass, thats why if you dont need a ztr, you shouldnt buy one. Im not bashing ztr's i love em, but you need wide open area's for them. We have comercial customers that pay good amounts of money each week that wont even let us use them on parts of there properties

QualityLawnCare4u
04-26-2009, 08:04 PM
thanks for the replies, very insightful. one more question if i may. would the power be sufficient if i mulched using gator blades instead of using a mulching kit or bagging system?

I found on mine (with the mulching kit on) running the wavey mulching blades worked the best and I mulched some dang tall/deep grass and leaves with it without a significant loss of power. I have also ran the gators without the mulching kit and windrowed the leaves and grass and it did a good job but was much slower than using the mulching kit. The main thing is if I am bagging (rarely) in thick grass or leaves then you can tell it could use some more power. However, if I slowed down it still handled everything I vacummed with it.

MCT Lawn Systems
04-26-2009, 11:09 PM
hitechlm,
perhaps an answer to the original question I posed in this thread would help me much more than your general opinion of ztrs as being a waste of money and/or that they have some type of relationship with lazy people.