PDA

View Full Version : Slow on the new mows this year??

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-26-2009, 04:29 PM
I have not taken on very many new resi mows this season at all yet, esp. compared to last year. I have gotten quite a bit of interest in the new fert/squirt aspect of my business however.

Anyone else slow on new mows? Perhaps some folks on here were right, people are doing a little of their own mowing now.

LBLC_LCO
04-26-2009, 04:49 PM
I've picked up 10 new residential accounts this year since the beginning of April. Lowest price is $35 a week and highest is $65 a week.

I expect more calls though as it starts to get hotter and people decide they no longer want to do it themselves and all the $10 craigslisters bail out.

PROCUT1
04-26-2009, 05:01 PM
I watch a vacant house for out of state friends in a neighborhood I used to work in.

I have taken so far over 30 flyers off the house and mailbox from lawn services.

TheC-Master
04-26-2009, 07:09 PM
I've picked up 10 new residential accounts this year since the beginning of April. Lowest price is $35 a week and highest is $65 a week.

I expect more calls though as it starts to get hotter and people decide they no longer want to do it themselves and all the $10 craigslisters bail out.
And they stop deleting the professional posts because they can't compete, don't delete because you can't compete.

david shumaker
04-26-2009, 09:25 PM
I've lost a few and picked up a few new ones.

Billie Bob's LLC
04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
i used to do mainly commercial but had problems last year. so this year i started from scratch. i picked up about 27 residential accounts from march 20 to april 20th. plus about 20 or so good sized side jobs. all from about 1800 flyers.

WHIPPLE5.7
04-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Some of the last people I thaught I would lose I've lost and no new ones at all. The people I had been working for the longest and I chraged the least are the ones who said the son or neighbor or someone else would do it for $10 since they will use the customers mower, not bag, not pay for gas, etc. I'm down to 1 day a weeks worth of work now and I can't find a part time job either. Damn no wonder people jump of bridges, this is really starting to suck. I do extremely highend work for pretty low prices but I still lose out to kids and other losers.

Big Bad Bob
04-26-2009, 09:51 PM
I have not taken on very many new resi mows this season at all yet, esp. compared to last year. I have gotten quite a bit of interest in the new fert/squirt aspect of my business however.

Anyone else slow on new mows? Perhaps some folks on here were right, people are doing a little of their own mowing now.

I usually pick up most of my new clients in June and July when the homeowners decide they don't want to mow in the heat anymore or their other guy disappeared. They almost always carry over to the next year and become permanent. I only lost 1 this year and that's because he wanted me to mow with a push mower and I refused. Not a big loss.
I should say that I also gained 3 new properties. Waiting for June.

I have seen a few new guys with Crapsman tractors hanging out the back of their vans or little S10,s. I also have seen a few guys with old front tine tillers trying to break new ground for $20.00. Lost a few new tilling jobs to them. They won't be around long though.

txgrassguy
04-26-2009, 09:58 PM
This year started a bit slow but my commercial side has taken off quite nicely.
From my queries what I have learned concerns more of a budget issue than a desire for the client(s) to maintain their respective properties.
All I can suggest is to keep your name out there.

Big Bad Bob
04-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Some of the last people I thaught I would lose I've lost and no new ones at all. The people I had been working for the longest and I chraged the least are the ones who said the son or neighbor or someone else would do it for $10 since they will use the customers mower, not bag, not pay for gas, etc. I'm down to 1 day a weeks worth of work now and I can't find a part time job either. Damn no wonder people jump of bridges, this is really starting to suck. I do extremely highend work for pretty low prices but I still lose out to kids and other losers.

You see, when you do "high end" work for low wages you create a situation where you work only for cheapazzes who will drop you when someone else comes along who does "high end" work for even lower wages.
That's why I will walk away from a job if getting it is based solely on price. I've built a pretty good clientelle based on quality and they pay what I charge, (you still can't rob them by asking $100.00 per hour.), within reason and won't go for the cheaper guy because I give them what they want for their property needs. Some have gone the lowest bid route and were ultimately unhappy with the outcome. And I don't have to do 20 yards a day to make my money. I do an average of 8 yards a day for an average of $46.50 per yard + all the side work, which is extra. And I usually don't work weekends anymore.
Took a very long time to learn this principle and a longer time to build a pretty much bullet proof clientelle. I've even had a couple of them tell me that their neighbor offered to do their prop for free and they turned them down flat. For now anyways. I hope the future is as good to me.

Kelly's Landscaping
04-26-2009, 10:11 PM
We had frosts only a few nights back its been very cold here for longer then normal and the new accounts have followed suit much harder then usual to sign up new accounts. I am hovering around 165 accounts I think I can bump that close to 200 by the end of May but that is much slower then I was hoping for. That said we had a great March and April and were about 15k higher in income this season to date then last year and for that matter ever. So I do expect to do better then we ever had but that required absorbing another business and advertising like mad.

clipperslawnservice
04-26-2009, 11:58 PM
stinking low-ballers. i was out mowing the other day and this guy and his wife
stop and asked what i charge.i told him i would have to look at the yard to
give a price. then it hit me, i saw his truck out on a job yesterday!! so i
ask him, do you need your lawn cut, or are you just trying to find out
the going rate in this area? busted!!! he said yeah and i told him my prices would be diff. than his because i pay taxes and ins. he said oh, yeah i didnt think about that! then i thought i would have a little fun with him and told him i heard that the city was going to start requireing a busi. lic. to mow in town because there are so many guys popping up this year. i no sooner said this and this cadilac rolls by pulling a crapsman rider!!!!!!!!!! i said, see what i mean.

clipperslawnservice
04-27-2009, 12:05 AM
sorry ,had to vent, guess i got off subject a little.
anyhows, i have picked up 9 resi. and 1 comm. this year and the comm. owners resi. so life is pretty good here in podunk.

Lawnut101
04-27-2009, 02:06 AM
Yeah, I haven't gotten many calls either. Picked up a couple jobs, but those were from new snowplowing customers. Got about 2 calls so far to place bids, one I wasn't ever able to get a hold of the lady, and the other I need to do a follow up on. Other than that though, it's been slow for mowing calls. However, I have picked up a ton of landscaping jobs, so I am pretty pumped about that. I woulda though it would've been the other way around. But I think there are a lot of guys cutting lawns for $15 around here that may have lost their jobs or something. So all the mowing jobs are being gobbled up by those guys.

MOW ED
04-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Same here so far. I have given a few bids but no takers. I am in the ballpark so who knows. Take it or leave it, I ain't working for charity.

topsites
04-27-2009, 10:11 AM
sorry ,had to vent, guess i got off subject a little.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Loadsmasher
04-27-2009, 08:33 PM
I've gotten more calls from guys looking for work than new jobs :)

Yater
04-27-2009, 08:47 PM
It's slow here too. It usually picks up when the summer heat arrives so I'm waiting...everyone around here loves to get out and work in the yard....until it's 95* at 10am.