PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Used MTD Pro 54" walk-behind

Budman
03-27-2002, 06:27 PM
A local mower shop has a used MTD Pro 54" hydrostatic walk behind for sale for $500. It has a 20 HP Kohler on it, and it is a 2000 model 2054F. The catch: It has not been run in a year, and it currently won't start (he says it has water in the gas and needs a carb kit). It is missing the safety levers on the handles for the engine kill switches, but otherwise seems to be intact. Is this worth looking at? I am not stupid enough to plunk down $500 without at least turning the motor over and checking to make sure that it has compression, but there are a lot of other things that could go wrong. Oil did not look milky or excessively dirty. It needs belts on the deck - getting a little frayed. What else do I need to look for? Any way to check the hydrostatic unit without running it? If it has sspark when I turn it over, should I be able to get it to start briefly by squirting some starting fluid down the carb throat? Do you all think it is worth the gamble?

Thanks in advance for your insight!!

summitgroundskeeping
03-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Its a freakin MTD, run. Run away fast hurry before the MTD catches you and breaks down, oh what it already did!
If your going to buy an MTD (homeowner mower) and it already has problems? RUN AWAY no matter what the price. Repairs in a month will cost you at least a few $100's.

cantoo
03-27-2002, 09:30 PM
Let's see a local mower shop has a wbh for sale that only needs a carb kit to get it running and they don't do it???
That Kohler is the same motor that is in Walker's, Toro's, Scag's, Dixie's, Bobcat's, Exmark's, John Deere's, Grasshopper's, and I'm sure tons of other good commercial equipment. I guess because it's in a MTD that means it is garbage. I on the other hand actually have a MTD and haven't had any problems with it. Check it out the same as you would any other "too good to be true" deal and buy it if you think it's okay, it's only $500

edward hedrick
03-27-2002, 09:54 PM
I bought a 52" Toro w 18 koh $1500. Sounds like a lot of work.

even for free. Not running and hydro lots of bucks. Save your money buy something running.

johnhenry
03-27-2002, 10:27 PM
Stay away from it. Mtd is for just the homeowner .There just toys .

wriken
03-28-2002, 10:57 PM
I believe the Comm. Mower he is talking about, is just that Pro-Comm. At least the one that I have is, only differance is his is 54" mine 48"'s. The MTD Pro has the same motors, like Kaw and Kohlor and also Briggs like mine. Equipped with Hydro brand gear pumps which probably other brands have, has a 10 and 7 guage deck like other mowers, mabey heavier than some. I've looked at alot of mowers and actually there is not if any differance in a MTD or Scag or any other popular walk-behind. Lots of the same parts in the differant kinds of mowers. The biggest thing in mowers as to what I can see is in the deck design, My Cub Comm. Tank stripes with the best of them.

cantoo
03-29-2002, 08:42 PM
I'm going to a sale next week, 6 unused MTD pro wbh for sale. Could be cheap backups or at the very least cheap power units for sprayer and fert spreaders.