PDA

View Full Version : Good shorts for lawn care work....

MikeKle
04-26-2009, 06:46 PM
I have always bought cargo type shorts to work in and they dont last that long doing this type of work, but I was in Bass pro shops and bought some carhartt B25 work shorts, they are made of the same 12oz. duck that they make the bibs from, they are very tough and will last for a long time, and only $30. I am looking to see if they make a T-shirt out of the 12oz. duck, Does anyone know if they do? That shirt would be great! Anyone looking for a good pair of work shorts that hold up well, go for the carhartts!

mississippiturf
04-26-2009, 07:40 PM
When I first started this business, I wore various brands of shorts. I got tired of getting off in the evening to see how much blood had run down in my shoes as the result of flying debris from my trimmer hitting my legs!! Not to mention the half bushel of clippings also down in my shoes.

Now, I don't wear shorts.

Roger
04-26-2009, 08:37 PM
I have worn Carhartt B25 work shorts for many years. However, I find that they DO NOT last very long -- quite short life-span compared to Dickie work pants. The duck cloth will begin to fray after about four months. I have yet to get a "season," that is the warm part of the year, out of one pair. The "shorts" season is about mid-May to early October, and I usually need about 1 1/2 pair to get through (yea ... sounds strange on 1/2 pair - no, not just one leg either - but if I start the year with a new pair, I will get about half life out of the second one). Offhand I would say my Dickie work pants will wear about three to four times longer.

GOOSEHANSON
04-26-2009, 08:38 PM
you got the Carhartts right but only jeans...I ain't that tough to get wacked consistantly with flying debris...maybe when I can hire someone else to do my weed-eating and edging...

david shumaker
04-26-2009, 09:05 PM
I have worn Carhartt B25 work shorts for many years. However, I find that they DO NOT last very long -- quite short life-span compared to Dickie work pants. The duck cloth will begin to fray after about four months. I have yet to get a "season," that is the warm part of the year, out of one pair. The "shorts" season is about mid-May to early October, and I usually need about 1 1/2 pair to get through (yea ... sounds strange on 1/2 pair - no, not just one leg either - but if I start the year with a new pair, I will get about half life out of the second one). Offhand I would say my Dickie work pants will wear about three to four times longer.

I like the Dickie work pants too. Only about $18.00 at Walmart.

I stopped wearing shorts because my legs were getting torn up from trimming.

DennisF
04-26-2009, 09:40 PM
I wear white painters shorts and gray lightweight Hanes T-shirts. The painters shorts are comfortable and long lasting. They are a little more expensive than denim shorts, but they more than make up for it in comfort alone. Most paint supply stores here in Florida carry them. About $20 per pair.

siclmn
04-26-2009, 10:23 PM
How do you use a string trimmer and wear shorts????????????????

RickR1818
04-26-2009, 10:30 PM
I love wearing jeans when its cool enough but I'd rather take some pain to shins than to be burning up all day! I just treat every pebble to the skin like a guy taking shots to the chest at the batting cage. Oh yeah! That feels good! Is that all you got!? Happy Gilmore baby!

dwlah
04-26-2009, 10:30 PM
I keep a pair of these on the truck
Dont need them too much since I got a helper
http://www.safelegs.com/

slawn
04-26-2009, 10:47 PM
I wear Columbia shorts from bass pro. I usually can get a season out of them, but I have about 6 or 7 pair. I mostly wear shorts all summer unless I have a lot of shrubs to trim and I always wear pants if I'm using the chainsaw.

nosparkplugs
04-26-2009, 10:58 PM
After running a Stihl FS250R all day you would NOT be wearing shorts anymore. You got some big coconuts. I have never set a dress code "per-say", but I can tell you I have NEVER had a employee show up in shorts to weedeat

I have always bought cargo type shorts to work in and they dont last that long doing this type of work, but I was in Bass pro shops and bought some carhartt B25 work shorts, they are made of the same 12oz. duck that they make the bibs from, they are very tough and will last for a long time, and only $30. I am looking to see if they make a T-shirt out of the 12oz. duck, Does anyone know if they do? That shirt would be great! Anyone looking for a good pair of work shorts that hold up well, go for the carhartts!

DennisF
04-26-2009, 10:58 PM

After 35 years of using a string trimmer, you learn how to keep from being hit in the legs with debris. I also keep the guards in place and I ALWAYS wear safety glasses.

DLCS
04-26-2009, 11:10 PM
After running a Stihl FS250R all day you would NOT be wearing shorts anymore. You got some big coconuts. I have never set a dress code "per-say", but I can tell you I have NEVER had a employee show up in shorts to weedeat

I do, but whats the trimmer model got to do with it? :rolleyes:

ed2hess
04-26-2009, 11:18 PM
Don't see any shorts in our area.....it is considered girley. And I am not so sure that it is cooler to have sun directly on any part of the body.

verant
04-26-2009, 11:20 PM
wow..i have to wear jeans...the whole string trimmer and grass flying at your legs thing requires pants for me. Pants look better too, sure it gets hot, but it saves your legs from the debri and looks a bit more professional

clipperslawnservice
04-26-2009, 11:21 PM
here in texas theres no way i could wear long pants,i wear shorts about
8months of the year.local dealer has echo shin guards with velcro straps,
what a blessing. to me there worth 4 times what they cost!!

Bass1
04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
down here in the deep south of Mississippi, I wear shorts majority of the year, I just wear my snake leggings that I bowhunt with, while I weedeat with no problems.

JConner
04-26-2009, 11:47 PM
i wear pants but i mix between an old pair of cintas uniform pants and jeans but i wondered how long the dickie type will last im thinking of switching to all of them

Lawn by Deere
04-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Speedos Duh

JConner
04-26-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm sure you pick up a lot of the older ladies

LewisLawn
04-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Lee Dungarees are nice, a bit thicker material, not canvas...less than 25 bucks...i like dickies for the price...have carhart pants that i prefer for mowing but if the majority of my work is around landscaping and not mowing i will throw on shorts...briggs i believe also makes a product similar to carhart that is a bit more affordable

ALC-GregH
04-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Try using a Edgit on your trimmer and you'll find it throws off very little debris at your legs.

MikeKle
04-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Plus I took the guards off of all my trimmers! I do get hit pretty good now and then but have learned how to trim without throwing alot of debris. Most of the time I wear new balances with my shorts but sometimes I slip on the boots,depends on what mood Im in when I get dressed! Those Safe legs look pretty goofy but if they help its worth it. It gets way too hot here to wear jeans or pants, I stick to shorts and Under Armour shirts now. I see those guys from Brickman working in long pants and long sleeve shirts while it is 98 degrees and high humidity!!! I dont know how they do it! Plus I have to go commando as well when it gets really hot and humid! My wife does get annoyed when I come home and I have grass covering my ankles up to my knees!!