PDA

View Full Version : Were can I get photo albums that last

proscape lawncare
04-26-2009, 07:29 PM
What kind of photo albums do you use to put photos of your completed projects in?
Every one I've tried doesnít last very long, and it takes time to replace all the photos it to new albums 2-3 time a year.
I used to bring a laptop along with photos but this isn't user friendly for all clients, there is something about flipping through the photos that most clients seem to prefer over a laptop.

Any advice as to were I can buy heavy duty photo albums would be great.

Hokie84
04-28-2009, 05:25 PM
proscape,

I use snapfish.com. You upload your photos, arrange them, and add text if you want. They mail you back as many albums as you want.

DVS Hardscaper
04-28-2009, 08:47 PM
i get my photo albums from a photograghy store (similar to Ritz camera).

They last about 1 year.

AllHardscaping
04-30-2009, 01:53 PM
I use a 3 ring binder. All the pics are 8.5 x 11 before on top page and after below. Its more impressive then 4x6's. Just put the pictures in the plastic sheets and you can add and rearrange as much as you like. I also put my certificates in there and photos of competitors botched jobs so they can see what to avoid. I have close ups of the little details that I like to upsell. Let them flip through it while you are busy doing something else. It allows them to look at it without having to try to talk at the same time.

DVS Hardscaper
04-30-2009, 10:38 PM
....All the pics are 8.5 x 11 before on top page and after below. Its more impressive then 4x6's.......

Easy now!

To each his own, 8.5 x 11 is nice, but I have a whole different mentality, I use the 4x6, and here's why:

I have at least 250 quality photograghed pictures in our album. I have a picture of work we have done that covers nearly every scenerio a home owner could ever dream of. You name it, we've done it and I have a picture of it. Wanna see a 45 sf paver walk? No problem. Wanna see a 6000 SF paver driveway? Great, we got it! Wanna see a natural stepping stone path winding through a backyard? Got that too! Wanna see what properly installed geo-textile should look like? Here's a picture. People love it and I get complimented on our photos weekly!

I've considered doing the 8.5 x 11 route for 2 years now. But I think I'd be limiting the sales presentation and shooting myself in the foot.

What makes using 4x6 prints possible is:
a) a good, professional camera with the appropriate lens
b) GOOD, professional film (if you're old school like me) Good film is expensive, but makes all the difference in the world.
c) Go to a professional developer. Don't go to Ritz, Walmart, Sams Club, CVS. Spend the money and go to a local company that has a passion for photograghy and developing photograghy.

LB1234
05-01-2009, 02:36 PM
What makes using 4x6 prints possible is:
a) a good, professional camera with the appropriate lens
b) GOOD, professional film (if you're old school like me) Good film is expensive, but makes all the difference in the world.
c) Go to a professional developer. Don't go to Ritz, Walmart, Sams Club, CVS. Spend the money and go to a local company that has a passion for photograghy and developing photograghy.

if you are going through all that trouble why not pay a professional photographer?

DVS Hardscaper
05-01-2009, 06:38 PM
if you are going through all that trouble why not pay a professional photographer?

I guess for those that don't have an eye for photograghy, that would be a smart way ta go!

Kinda like if you're not mechanically inclined - then you better pay a mechanic to fix your car :)

I love lookin at other guy's websites and they have a picture of a patio but there's more of the back of the house or more of the lawn in the picture......than there is patio!

AllHardscaping
05-01-2009, 07:37 PM
yes, to each their own. I like that 2 people can sit and look at the book at the same time. I see why you like the 4x6 though. I dont have a whole plethora of work to show, mainly paver installs and maintenance and their is plenty of photos to show what I need in my binder.

I know what your talking about with the photos some people shoot that seem to miss their work. I used to use a point and shoot digital. It did ok as I have an eye for photography. I then invested in a digital SLR and it was the best thing I ever did. Having a 17mm lens allows you to get more of the job since it has a wider view. The diff is drastic as it shows your work and not the side of a house or a just a small portion of a patio.

Rex Mann
05-01-2009, 08:07 PM
I have a 12X14 binder I use. I have had it for 10 years now. It is made by Coach, it is all leather and has a zipper on it. It makes for a nice portfolio.
I have all 8X10's. also.

Peace,

Rex

Follow us on Twitter @PaversInstalled

http://PaverExperts.Com

mrusk
05-01-2009, 09:27 PM
DVS what are you talking about? What is this film thing that you need for a camera?

DVS Hardscaper
05-02-2009, 05:14 PM
DVS what are you talking about? What is this film thing that you need for a camera?

many folks shooting jobs still use a good 'ol 35 mm that uses this thing called film. There is good film and junk film. Good film shoots good, crisp color, usually purchased from a photograghy store. My problem is when I go to shoot jobs......it always seems to be overcast!