PDA

View Full Version : Ripping Out Ground Cover

scagdude
04-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Ok. this is my first big job like this. the beds are 150-200 ft long and 6-8 feet wide for a total of 900-1600 sq ft of beds. they have a few plants and trees but all beds of jasmine ground cover through the whole thing. They need me to rip out all the ground cover from all the beds. I have no idea where to even start with price. Please help!!! I mean how hard is jasmine ground cover to pull up? does it all root? thanks for all help in advance

Smallaxe
04-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Not sure about jasmine per se but groundcovers are pretty much universal in a few basic design features. The most obvious one is its ability to qucikly take over an area where other plants will not establish as easily.

This means rooting, spreading and rooting again.
What is going to happen if you don't get every bit and it continues in the bed? In other words, what is going in its place?

Perhaps just Roundup it all and rake off the dead bodies or till them in.

scagdude
04-27-2009, 09:27 AM
has no one ever had experience ripping out ground cover like this?

Focal Point Landscapes
04-28-2009, 01:22 AM
If the cover is not too thick , you can mow or weedeat it to the ground and rake up the debris and haul it off. If the jasmine is well established , it will be a thick mat of vines that have leaves only on the top layer - that will be a very difficult demo. You can trim it at ground level while someone else is pulling with a garden rake and sort of roll it into a ball. Assuming that you are going to replace it with mulch , I would put it on thick to help smother any subsequent regrowth - still may need glyphosate later. At any rate , jasmine is difficult and time consuming to remove. Bid it high , it will take longer than you would think.

manfromearth
04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
asiatic jasmine has an intense shallow root system. If you cut it back with a weed trimmer and then tilled the roots up with a hydraulic tiller (13+ HP), that might give you a situation where you could plant in, but I would think that the jasmine would come back to some extent. If it were me, I'd spray the entire area with Round-up and I'd use a spreader sticker since asiatic jasmine has a glossy leaf surface. I've never sprayed asiatic jasmine, but I have done english ivy, with success by using the sticker. Also, you might even add a table spoon of miracle gro per gallon of Round-up to help open the stomata of the jasmine leaves, thus encouraging the uptake of the herbicide. If the spraying is successful, you won't have to worry about the re-emergence of the jasmine; but I'd still till the roots out once you can tell the round up has worked. It's a hit or miss proposition, to some extent. As for pricing, I'd estimate number of hours on job, multiply by a "generous to you" hourly rate, add in marked up materials and overhead charges (insurance, etc.) and a misc. charge....add it up and present one price to the customer with a detailed list of what all you are going to do.

betmr
04-28-2009, 02:02 PM
I would suggest you kill it, wait, then kill it again. Too be sure it does'nt return. Then Till it and remove all the debris you can.

CALandscapes
04-29-2009, 03:46 AM
asiatic jasmine has an intense shallow root system. If you cut it back with a weed trimmer and then tilled the roots up with a hydraulic tiller (13+ HP), that might give you a situation where you could plant in, but I would think that the jasmine would come back to some extent. If it were me, I'd spray the entire area with Round-up and I'd use a spreader sticker since asiatic jasmine has a glossy leaf surface. I've never sprayed asiatic jasmine, but I have done english ivy, with success by using the sticker. Also, you might even add a table spoon of miracle gro per gallon of Round-up to help open the stomata of the jasmine leaves, thus encouraging the uptake of the herbicide. If the spraying is successful, you won't have to worry about the re-emergence of the jasmine; but I'd still till the roots out once you can tell the round up has worked. It's a hit or miss proposition, to some extent. As for pricing, I'd estimate number of hours on job, multiply by a "generous to you" hourly rate, add in marked up materials and overhead charges (insurance, etc.) and a misc. charge....add it up and present one price to the customer with a detailed list of what all you are going to do.

Good advice!

The only other suggestion that I may have, if you're limited on time, would be to use a Bobcat to scrape and remove the jasmine.

Good luck!! :weightlifter:

doitforjohnny
04-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Good advice!

The only other suggestion that I may have, if you're limited on time, would be to use a Bobcat to scrape and remove the jasmine.

Good luck!! :weightlifter:

I second this idea. You could have this stuff scraped out of the beds in no time and make a good profit. Of course you have to make sure you can get a machine in there.. ..What ever you do, do not under bid the job! This sounds like a big job to do by hand. Just make sure all foliage is completely out of there and the soil has been cultivated, rough graded and it looks pretty! :)Pretty enough to plant something in there. HOA's are very picky and smart.
Good luck!

scagdude
04-30-2009, 11:34 PM
thanks guys. i quoted this at $800. is that a good price in your mind? agian it is about 800sq ft. of it that i will be ripping out.

greatinmulchbeds
04-30-2009, 11:43 PM
as long as you can get it done in one day i'd say that price sounds about right, maybe a little low

scagdude
05-02-2009, 04:22 PM
ok good. ya i should be able to get it done in one day. thanks again for the input