PDA

View Full Version : Building Fire Pit need help!!!

l3en007
04-26-2009, 09:17 PM
I will be getting a price together for a friend of mine for a 20 x 20 patio with a fire pit in the middle. I am trying to talk him out of the "four cobble patio stone" that he likes from lowes and go with techo or Ep. If he does want to go with it, how much does each piece of stone cover? Its 16" by 16". Im just so used to measuring out the job and ordering pavers by the pallets. As far as the fire pit, its circle and 18 linear feet around. Is there certain block I need to use?(flame retartent, flame resistant?) I didnt know if you could just use just any block. What is the easiest block to use since it will be a circle? Id rather avoid having all kinds of cuts. Any preferences on Fire pit material?

thanks!

Dreams To Designs
04-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Blue, people will go with what they like, not always for quality.

Each 16"x16" piece is about 1.7 square feet. You can do the same type of calculations you are used to with that information.

Yes you should line a firepit with a material that will be less likely to explode due to the constant fluctuations of extreme temperatures. You can use a fire brick, a refractory concrete or a steel insert. If you are going to build your firepit out of SRW block, you will either cut a great many, if not all, or make a very large frepit. Techo-Bloc makes a really nice all in one firepit kit that is less than 50" across when cmplete. It has a metal insert and a screen lid along with all the cut block and caps. The labor savings alone will pay for the kit.

Kirk

kootoomootoo
04-27-2009, 06:15 PM
a 16x16 covers 16x16 last time I checked.

thx.

l3en007
04-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Blue, people will go with what they like, not always for quality.

Each 16"x16" piece is about 1.7 square feet. You can do the same type of calculations you are used to with that information.

Yes you should line a firepit with a material that will be less likely to explode due to the constant fluctuations of extreme temperatures. You can use a fire brick, a refractory concrete or a steel insert. If you are going to build your firepit out of SRW block, you will either cut a great many, if not all, or make a very large frepit. Techo-Bloc makes a really nice all in one firepit kit that is less than 50" across when cmplete. It has a metal insert and a screen lid along with all the cut block and caps. The labor savings alone will pay for the kit.

Kirk
thanks man..thats awesome..they make a firepit kit..thanks for the info...im going to call my supplier tomorrow.
kootoomookoo your funny. just kidding.

Dreams To Designs
04-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Ben, what town are you from and what area do you work?

Talked to a few people that have installed the Valencia, firepit kit, and they say it is reasonably priced and easy to install.
http://www.techo-bloc.com/contractors/index.php?p=Products&e=view&productId=200
If you need any additional information, let me know.

Kirk

l3en007
04-29-2009, 08:40 AM
i work in stone harbor, avalon, cape may, etc....I called techo about the velencia...it does seem reasonably priced....im still gonna check out the basic garden wall and see if thats much cheaper. The block that comes with the "fire kit" is just your basic wall. The accessory kit just comes with an insert (so the fire wont touch the block), and a spark shield..

Dreams To Designs
04-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Ben,

The labor savings alone on the kit will be worth it, plus the steel insert and you'll have a fire the same afternoon. Atlantic masonry can definitely hook you up with whatever materials you may need and the Techo-Bloc rep for your area is also very helpful and a great guy.

I do design work in you area, so if I can help you at anytime, don't hesitate to contact me.

Kirk

l3en007
04-29-2009, 06:49 PM
thanks man!

l3en007
04-29-2009, 07:01 PM
kirk,
whats the techo guys name and number. If you want to PM me thats fine..

Dreams To Designs
04-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Jason Guidry; 484-221-0867
He lives in the Tom's River area, but makes weekly stops at his suppliers and their installers every week. He maybe in meetings this week, so he may not respond right away.

Is there a product or installation question I may help you with?

Kirk

recout
05-28-2010, 09:50 PM
I was just looking at the Valencia firepit today at action and the guy told me its about $800 for kit..It does not look like you can have a more then 2-3 pieces of wood.. due to the metal insert. I would like alittle bigger fire then that..