PDA

View Full Version : 78 Bucks for a belt?

JonathanW
04-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Today I thought I had been sold a lemon, but after an hour of adjusting the pistol grips I came to the conclusion that it's just the fact that the belts have stretched over time...so we need some new belts...big deal maybe 20 or 30 bucks each.

I just checked (I need two drive belts for my Snapper Pro 48") online with my dealer and holy crap they're freakin 78 and change EACH! Is this average prices for drive belts for a walk behind?

Please tell me there's a cheaper way!

Here is the belt info
SKU: 7046240
'01 Snapper Pro Express 48"

topsites
04-26-2009, 11:45 PM
That does sound kinda high but I don't think they're no 20-30 bucks either.

JonathanW
04-27-2009, 12:00 AM
That does sound kinda high but I don't think they're no 20-30 bucks either.

I guess I'm just too used to buying belts for my old crapsman 50" with a kohler...I never used it commercially, and now that I've moved it just sits, but for 10 years it cut 8 acres every week...and to this days it's still running strong.

How long should a good belt last? I just bought the mower a few months ago...it is an 01 model with less than 100 hours...the guy told me that it had sat so maybe 1 new sets of belts after 8 years isn't so bad. I mean if the belts will last me 2 or 3 years then I won't see the price as so bad.

What's the average life of a good OEM commercial belt on a WB?

randosh4
04-27-2009, 12:24 AM
I put a new set on my husky erery year 48 bucks each.

dwost
04-27-2009, 12:44 AM
measure and buy aftermarket?

JonathanW
04-27-2009, 01:14 AM
i'm going to try and find aftermarket but it's got a weird toothed design to it.

4.3mudder
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Put that number into ebay and see what you can find.

Toy2
04-27-2009, 05:02 PM
i'm going to try and find aftermarket but it's got a weird toothed design to it.

Search and Goggle will help you save some money, not sure if you have followed my spindle bearing thread.............but I will at least $28.00 with my new set...........

saylorsdad
04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
I just take belts to local parts store and tell them what they are for. Guys always scratch their heads, go into the back and come out with identical belt for around 1/3 of the price at mower shop. My snapper belt is 40+ at shop, parts store is around 15.

ed2hess
04-27-2009, 10:43 PM
That seems a little high but there is a major differences in those drive belts. I know the Scag ones are expensiv e but they don't slip. I would worry a little about going after market if you use is high.

topsites
04-27-2009, 10:54 PM
I just take belts to local parts store and tell them what they are for. Guys always scratch their heads, go into the back and come out with identical belt for around 1/3 of the price at mower shop. My snapper belt is 40+ at shop, parts store is around 15.

Yes but I know for a fact you can't use a standard automotive belt where an
agricultural or industrial application is required.

Drive belts, blade belts, these things are no alternator-belt material.
On a car, a belt is tightened once and that's it, for the most part it operates
under that same tension throughout... Granted the rpm's do increase and
decrease as we drive but in terms of the load?

A lawn mower belt gets a LOT more load put on when say, it gets into thick grass
or when it has to go up a steep hill, then to make matters worse a lot of times
these belts are loosened / tightened throughout the day as part of the operation.

Now an automotive belt will work on a lawn mower...
But it won't usually last very long.

hitechlm
04-27-2009, 10:54 PM
the reason belts are getting to be more expensive are because there starting to put kevlar in them to make them stronger and last longer. I have a zero turn that is 7 years old, its only used as a back up mower and its only had one belt break on it.

A-Land
04-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Just buy the expensive belt.

The scag belts are kevlar-reinforced, which is the same stuff they make bullet-proof vests from. They are costly but will last for a long time.

mjealey
04-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Been there done that with the belts. I have a Snapper Pro s150x and my belts are $75.00 too. Tha is right on par for Snapper belts. I got some after market belt because it was $30.00 cheaper and it was junk. Lasted 25.00 hours. SPEND THE MONEY!!! Those OEM belts from the dealer can last for 100's of hours. To get the good belts for the Scag it is the same price, and they go forever. I never had one break yet, just replace them at the beginning of the season, and it is great insurance.

Chris "Greenville"
04-27-2009, 11:55 PM
I have you beat.... TORO timecutter z5000 (residential) deck belt was $90 to replace and $18 shipping... couldn't find it any cheaper..