PDA

View Full Version : Tire Chains on Lazer Z?

Andrew W
04-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Please forgive my naivety, but has anyone dared try this on a ZTR mower? I am the owner of a new (used) 2006 Lazer Z 60" with multi-trac tires, and am having the aformentioned traction issues. I have had very good results using chains on a garden tractor with very little turf damage as long as I was easy on the throttle.

I should say that: 1) I am new to using the ZTR -- still getting used to its unique handling attributes, and 2) I am not cutting commercial, but only on my own property. I am not attempting any extreme slopes, but there are a few places on my property where there is a modest slope with a fence line at the bottom, where I need to cut across the slope and then turn uphill, and I'm having a bear of a time with it. I love this mower, and it is superb for everything else, so I would really like to make it work. I've read about tire pressure, and I'll play around with that, and I'll work on my technique. The grass is growing and it'll need to be cut again in a week, so I need to get something figured out by then. I may need to resort to more aggressive tires, but any input on the use of chains is appreciated!

tacoma200
04-27-2009, 08:29 AM
That's one of the reason's I got rid of my Lazer even though I really liked it. I don't have a good solution. You can try lowering the air pressure to 8 psi and that will help some.

Andrew W
04-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the reply -- I'll try the reduced tire pressure, and I do have a set of chains on order. I'll keep you posted. It really does seem like just a little more traction would get me where I need to be.