PDA

View Full Version : Replacing brake pads

Bassman
03-27-2002, 08:02 PM
I have an 87' K5 Blazer. I want to replace the front disc brake pads but have not done it before. Rotors, calipers, hoses, etc. are ok. Is this an easy job? I'm getting tired of paying a dealer to do it.
Thanks for info.

cat320
03-27-2002, 08:22 PM
replacing the pads is the easy part it's when you have to do the rotors it gets to be hard.

03-27-2002, 08:24 PM
Yes, changing the front disc pads is pretty straightforward. Do you have a manual to guide you through the process? If not, that's something I would advise you to invest in - Haynes and Chilton are two common publishers of these manuals that come to mind.

If you are just changing the pads it isn't necessary to open up the hydraulic system - simply tie the caliper up out of the way with wire. Don't let it hang from the brake hose.

And, do one side at a time leaving the other fully asembled. This way you have a "pattern" to follow, especially handy if it's your first time through the job.

Bassman
03-27-2002, 10:09 PM
Thanks very much for the info & tips. Will come in handy. I'll get a manual to help with specs as I want to start doing more of the regular R&R on some common jobs that my truck needs on a fairly regular basis. In the past I have had to have brake pads replaced frequently, (always less than a year, sometimes only 6 months or so). I pull a trailer with lawn equip. and am sure that contributes alot to the short life of the pads. I've heard that it pays in the long term to get the best pads. Are there any specific Mnfg. names to look for?

Barkleymut
03-30-2002, 09:09 PM
Bassman, its very easy. I did it for the first time by myself last winter. Make sure to get some brake caliper grease and a Chiltons manual. I got my pads from Carquest and they have worn very well. The instructions were dead on and easy to follow. Once you do it by yourself you will wonder why you ever paid anyone to do it for you. It took me about 45 minutes to do the first one and 35 the second.