PDA

View Full Version : Mower help: 3-6 acre property

JDeere
04-27-2009, 02:39 AM
I have a 22 acre residence and need something vastly better than a 40" Deere garden tractor with a belly mower.

Scag, Hustler and Exmark are the three supported product lines in my area. If I look around, Toro is probably on that list two.

There are a couple acres of manicured lawn up around the house, about two acres or rough that needs to be trimmed up and down the driveway (half mile long), and for another 5-6 years, there is 5 acres in young fir trees that need to be mowed between. Over this time the tree will grow up and together, eliminating that 5 acres from mowing. The property is fairly flat to mild slope. There is one long strip of wicked side slope that scares the daylights out of me on my 30 and 60-horse tractors, but the neighbor uses the same equipment to mow this stretch and is still alive. Everything but the 2 acreas up around the house is a little bumpy. No potholes. The little Deere mower doesn't scalp.

Beds are fairly wide spaced, nothing is tight. No gate problems.

Your suggestions for commercial quality mowers would be much appreciated. What deck width and manufacturer would you use?

Like you, I'm not impervious to the new economic reality that's unfolding, but going cheap is always a mistake. I may keep an eye on craigslist for used equipment and, if so, will probably have to show a little more flexibility. There is a Hustler Super Z 60" with Triton deck for about $7,000 with under 100 hours.

I've seen a couple of JD F935's for sale, but not sure if a ZTR wouldn't be better overall

The grass here tends to be wet and heavy. It rains a lot in Oregon--sort of similar to the NE, just wetter.

When in doubt, ask the pros! Your experience is appreciated.

Thanks,

John