PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Height?

benward
04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
I mow in central-nothern alabama (birmingham area) and need help with my cutting height. what is a good general height? i norm set my mowers for 2 1/2 in. i have my exmark wb set at 2 1/8 now and had a lady say it was set too high just so i have to cut her yard more often. i cut all types of grass and sod, mostly res. thanks! BEN

Kutz Lawns
04-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Most lawns are cut at 3 inches but if the customer wants it lower I just do it.

If you explain in detail why you need to leave high they usually understand.

Mowing higher looks better, keeps weeds out, better chance of not burning, etc, etc, etc.

Mr. Mow

joevg
04-27-2009, 11:29 AM
we mow at 3 1/2, to 4in here in the midwest. keep the turf thick no room for weeds.

topsites
04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
we mow at 3 1/2, to 4in here in the midwest. keep the turf thick no room for weeds.

Same, I'm at 3.25" now but fixing to go 3.5"

TheC-Master
04-27-2009, 11:51 AM
I end up mowing pretty low, partially because the grass is full of weeds around here anyways, and because it's bermuda. Thirdly because my mower has a lot of power and the customers tend to want it usually. I was doing the 3" thing, but I find I can cut it at 2.0 or 1.5 with no problem and it looks great, I could never cut that low before because they would clog up. I wasn't used to it either but on the higher settings it just doesn't look cut.

JonathanW
04-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Hey I found me a fellow Birmingham Man! What part in/around birmingham are you mowing? I'm in the Leeds area about 15 mins outside of birmingham.

Anway, I cut mostly Bermuda and weed yards. The Bermuda I cut at 1.5 because it's as low as my WB will go, and I cut the weed yards on 1.5 as weel, again because it's as low as it will go.

If I use regular push mowers I do try to keep them cut a tad lower on the certain ones the homeowners want cut lower.

Hope this helps.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
04-27-2009, 01:53 PM
i have never figured this out. during the spring the customer want the grass cut short to about 1.5 to 2.25. i hate cutting this short usually for me im about 3.25. there grass dose good during the spring. and come summer there grass burns and dose not grow. and then they want to blame it on the lawn service for why they have no grass growing.

TheC-Master
04-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey I found me a fellow Birmingham Man! What part in/around birmingham are you mowing? I'm in the Leeds area about 15 mins outside of birmingham.

Anway, I cut mostly Bermuda and weed yards. The Bermuda I cut at 1.5 because it's as low as my WB will go, and I cut the weed yards on 1.5 as weel, again because it's as low as it will go.

If I use regular push mowers I do try to keep them cut a tad lower on the certain ones the homeowners want cut lower.

Hope this helps.

Pretty much, bermuda and weed lawns are the healthy majority for what I do.

BCarlson
04-27-2009, 02:04 PM
wow 3+ inches, in W. Washington decks recommended height was 2 inches and now in Eastern Oregon recommended height is 2 - 2 1/2 inches. Right now until it warms up a bit I'm cutting at 2 1/8 then during the summer up to 2 1/2 then back down in the late fall. But again recommended height for grasses is different in each area.

dtelawn
05-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Hey Bama guys. As for the cutting height most customers will always say they want ti shorter so it doesn't look bad so soon. Here is the fact of tha matter. In Alabama is gets hot early, always humid and the grass needs to be cut more than every other week. Almost everyone wants the every other week cut. This year it has rained so much that cutting below 2 1/2 means we are having to cut about 4 or 5 inches off every other week. This usually requires a double cut to spread out all the clippings to look good. I am running a full mulch kit on my Lazer Z. I have to cut much slower, but it eliminates any extra clipping on the lawn.

I am not based in the Bham area but have several accounts around there.

JonathanW
05-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Hey Bama guys. As for the cutting height most customers will always say they want ti shorter so it doesn't look bad so soon. Here is the fact of tha matter. In Alabama is gets hot early, always humid and the grass needs to be cut more than every other week. Almost everyone wants the every other week cut. This year it has rained so much that cutting below 2 1/2 means we are having to cut about 4 or 5 inches off every other week. This usually requires a double cut to spread out all the clippings to look good. I am running a full mulch kit on my Lazer Z. I have to cut much slower, but it eliminates any extra clipping on the lawn.

I am not based in the Bham area but have several accounts around there.

Yep most people around here think it is outrageous to have to get grass cut every week so we have to offer biweekly service (as much as I hate to) or we would be out of business.

However, we have picked up some more weekly accounts this year, and eventually I would like us to phase out biweekly services.

Most people down here just down take quite as much pride in their lawn as northerners. They want it to look perfect when it's cut, but don't understand that it should be weekly to achieve that.

GOOSEHANSON
05-17-2009, 02:02 PM
out here in Eastern Washington I cut the big pieces at 3.5 and the smaller manicured stuff around the buildings at 3.25 bagged...just looks better...this is all commercial stuff

05-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Down here even with the Bi-weekly accounts you still get the occasional "It's already been two weeks"?

Kevin

deerewashed
05-17-2009, 02:07 PM
2.5 to 3 here

blake101
05-17-2009, 02:12 PM
I am just two hours from you. I also had cut at 2 1/2, but recently stated cutting at 2. I mostly cut bermuda.

TheC-Master
05-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Yep most people around here think it is outrageous to have to get grass cut every week so we have to offer biweekly service (as much as I hate to) or we would be out of business.

However, we have picked up some more weekly accounts this year, and eventually I would like us to phase out biweekly services.

Most people down here just down take quite as much pride in their lawn as northerners. They want it to look perfect when it's cut, but don't understand that it should be weekly to achieve that.

We've had a drought for years, but now it is raining plenty, people are used to paying every 2 weeks now so to get an every week person they'd have to be obsessed with their lawn.

dtelawn
05-17-2009, 02:41 PM
The drought has spoiled some of the people that only care that it's not knee high. I hope and pray all this rain will continue for acouple years or so. If I recall a couple years ago the Northeast had tons of rain one season. I remember the guys on here talking about it.

flames46
05-17-2009, 08:07 PM
I mow in the Northwest Georgia area and the lowest lawn I cut is at 3 1/4. I've got one that I cut at 4 at the request of the homeowner. I cut my own at 3 3/4. To me grass looks better at 3 to 3 3/4 inches. You have to cut it more but it looks better. I generally ask the homeowner what height they'd like their lawn cut and write it down and cut it there. I'd say this would be problematic for the big boys but I'm a small solo operation.

LawnMower
05-17-2009, 08:17 PM
We average around 3 and half inches. I have one lawn that I mow the deck all the way up, and it still taking off 3 inches of grass.

david shumaker
05-17-2009, 08:23 PM
The height I cut depends some on the conditions. If the grass is wet and growing fast like now, I cut at 3 to 4 inches. If the grass is dry and not to high, I will cut at about 2.75" if the customer wants it a little lower. I have told customers, I will not cut real tall grass short. I've had a few that wanted their lawn cut every 2 weeks and cut real short so they can save money. Somebody else can save them money because I'm not double cutting and cleaning up a mess so they can save money and increase my cost.

I won't lower my deck less than 2.5 inches because of roots, etc.

LLandscaping
05-17-2009, 11:34 PM
I cut most properties on 2.5" most are bermuda and zoysia. I might cut some a little shorter on the Walker it they are really smooth. We do a decent amount of work around Birmingham, Mountain Brook, Leeds, Gardendale, etc.