PDA

View Full Version : Beetles on uplights

mikecox1
04-27-2009, 12:05 PM
I installed my lights less than 2 weeks ago. Last night I noticed that there appeared to be less lighting washing the walls so I decided to take a look at the up lights. What I found was that all of the up lights had dried beetles lying on top of their lenses. Enough beetles so that about 40% of each lens' surface was covered and diminishing the amount of light they were putting out. Is this normal? Does this sort of thing generally happen this quickly (40% blockage in about 10 days)? Is there a way to stop it or reduce it with some sort of cover, or do I just need to remember to blow the bugs off every with my blower every time I do my yard?

Pro-Scapes
04-27-2009, 01:43 PM
I would imagine an exterminator would be a good place to start :) I wouldnt want beetles around my house if they were blocking my lights or not.

mikecox1
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
I would imagine an exterminator would be a good place to start :) I wouldnt want beetles around my house if they were blocking my lights or not.

I wish it were that easy. These little guys aren't comming from my yard, they fly in from the acerage behind my house to hang around any light source they can find. If we leave the pool light on over night we will have ten or firteen beetles in the water the next morning, if we turn the pool light off we won't have any in the watter the next day. They just flock to any light they can find and the brightest light around is coming from my uplights.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
04-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Sounds like you have some easy regular maintenance to do. No big deal. Better to blow away the dead ones than to treat the entire yard via an exterminator! Go that route and you take out a whole bunch of links on the food chain. Next thing you know you don't have as many birds, butterflys, fire flies, chipmunks, squirrels, etc etc. Learning to work with your environment is so much better than wholesale alteration of it!

The Lighting Geek
04-27-2009, 07:27 PM
sounds like masked chafer beetles. Small brown and smaller than a dime, they are out in masses along with many scarab type beetles. The larvas have hatched they fly in masses in the western united states this time a year. Not uncommon to find 1" of dead beetles on a well light

Pro-Scapes
04-27-2009, 11:37 PM
down here its fire ants building mounds around them. If you have never delt with a fire ant hill count yourself lucky. They can invade fixtures and nest inside even.,

The Lighting Geek
04-28-2009, 12:35 AM
I'll take my beetles over your fire ants any time :cool2:

TXNSLighting
04-28-2009, 12:35 AM
down here its fire ants building mounds around them. If you have never delt with a fire ant hill count yourself lucky. They can invade fixtures and nest inside even.,

I hate those little guys!! They fill our well lights and path lights, and some of my clients think the bulbs have burned out! So theres a wasted trip to thier house just to get bit by ants when i remove the hat of the paths. I buy ant spray in bulk now.

Pro-Scapes
04-28-2009, 10:14 AM
try a sprinkle of AMDRO around your lights. Comes in a 2 pound shaker can at lowes for 20 bucks. Works better than anything I have tried