PDA

View Full Version : i need a quick review of the br600

grass disaster
04-27-2009, 06:57 PM
i might be getting a big clean-up job that might require one of these. i usually just use the bg85(? i think) or use my dad's older stihl 420(?maybe)

are they planning on comming out with anything bigger anytime soon?

have thay changed anything from last year? so i don't get an old version?

what can i expect to pay for one of these?

MileHigh
04-27-2009, 07:00 PM
I have a friend who just started an LCO.

He was a fan of Stihl products...he bought a br600.

We compared it to my 2008 RedMax ebz8001.

The redmax could blow way more volume than the Stihl....plus could start a hell of a lot easier.

He took the BR600 back, and told them it sucked....and bought a different blower from the same dealer.

He now has a 2009 Redmax ebz8001, that blows harder than mine.

The only blower I would even consider getting besides a EBZ8001, Is the Shindaiwa EB802. It has the best overall specs of all the bp blowers.

My findings with stihl products is that they are hard to start, and basically suck.-(just my 2 cents)

Now all the Stihl guys are going to jump on me, but i don't care...I know my facts. Go to a dealer that sells BOTH OF THEM...they will tell you which one is best.

Both blowers cost around 500 smackers.

Plus It looks like some spaceage homeowner backpack blower...with a stupid gas cap and other dumb placement on the features.

My redmax starts on the 2nd pull everytime when it's cold...after its been ran...It starts by the half pull.

Greenboy24
04-27-2009, 07:06 PM
I'll never buy a stihl, all shindaiwa and redmax for me, bad experiences with stihl

MileHigh
04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
I'll never buy a stihl, all shindaiwa and redmax for me, bad experiences with stihl

YUP.....same here.

Although in the future, I wanna start looking at Kawasaki's stuff....I heard they got mad power.

grass disaster
04-27-2009, 08:33 PM
there are no redmax dealers around me

VirginiaLawnCare
04-27-2009, 08:42 PM
Im going to jump in since it seams like all the stihl haters are out. I would never buy anything besides stihl and have NEVER had a problem with any of them starting I own a br600, fs90, 2 110s, 420c and have nothing but good things to say about all of there products! The BR600 is powerful more then enough to do a big clean up job.

sandman23
04-27-2009, 08:59 PM
I own all Stihl as well. 2 BR600, 2 FS110, 1KM90. Never have problems. Can't beat the reliability and performance of the BR600.

TheC-Master
04-27-2009, 09:03 PM
I don't have a 600 but I've had nothing but great service from my products.

mowerbrad
04-27-2009, 09:09 PM
YUP.....same here.

Although in the future, I wanna start looking at Kawasaki's stuff....I heard they got mad power.

I just demoed a kawasaki blower this past weekend. I don't know the model, but it was their biggest. It had some power to it but I didn't think it was as much as it would seem. The BR550 I had with us that day did better than the kawasaki. And the kawi was very uncomfortable, after 20 minutes I my shoulders hurt. I finally had enough that I switched back to my smaller stihl BR340. Maybe it might work for you, but it was definately not for me.

ed2hess
04-27-2009, 10:37 PM
I own all Stihl as well. 2 BR600, 2 FS110, 1KM90. Never have problems. Can't beat the reliability and performance of the BR600.

Where do you get this reliability information.......the local dealer has many many BR600 units that are blown. Units that are run under heavy use just are not holding up. Those valve and gasket problems are not solved.....now the BR420 is a reliable unit. I expect a unit to run around 5 to 10 years without an engine problem and Echo can do that and maybe other manufactures but BR600 is not in the mix.

grass disaster
04-27-2009, 10:38 PM
well the only problem i have with redmax is the dealer is 30 min away. i have a stihl dealer 5 blocks away.

topsites
04-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Strange, other than for the welch plug I haven't had any real problems with mine.
Or maybe it was a coil...

But I am sorry those kind of things will break, it's part of normal wear and tear.

LouisianaLawnboy
04-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Shindy is the best I think.

clay duncan
04-27-2009, 11:06 PM
the br600 is awesome. plenty powerful, very light, starts easily, fairly quiet. the 4-mix engine is VERY reliable. i use stihl oil (orange) and 89 octane gas. i have six 4-mix units that have been through h3ll and back and have not had any problems at all......i cannot say the same for the redmax units i have owned.......i would not trade my br600 for two redmax blowers with a strato charged engine.......good luck with your decision.....

Herrick
04-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Love my BR600... starts on the first pull cold most of the time.

mississippiturf
04-28-2009, 01:24 AM
Love my BR600. Comfortable, quiet, easy starting, and plenty of power. No I haven't compared side by side with other brands, but I bought the 600 for a specific purpose and a had certain expectation.. The purpose is being served and the expectation has been exceeded.

ToroLandscaper
04-28-2009, 01:27 AM
I have BR600 and love it, I have no ran it side by side with other blowers, but I have been extremely happy with mine and would not ever hesitate to buy another one.

Wizz
04-28-2009, 01:34 AM
The Shin 802 does not blow harder than the BR600...I compared them side by side at the same time, both were using the same fuel mixture and both had the same hours on them. If anything the BR600 moved more debris than the 802 blowing the same batch of debris on the same surface, I fully expected the 802 to blow more given the stats Shindaiwa provided but it did not, but then again we know how published figures work in marketing. I went to the dealer expecting to buy the 802 and walked out with the BR600 instead. My BR600 starts 2nd pull every time after choking the 1st pull, and it is the lightest/most comfortable and definately the least bulky out of the back-pack blowers...not to mention the most fuel efficient, the turtle shell design is nice as well protecting all the components. Also due to the 4 mix motor the BR600 has much better part throttle torque/response compared to the high-revving 2 stroke that has a 'peaky' power-band which is the inherent nature of a 2 stroke motor...I use my BR600 at half throttle mostly and never really need to go full throttle unless I want to blow stuff that's 30 feet away. Best of luck in your decision.

THC
04-28-2009, 02:32 AM
I love my br600, great for clean ups, I even use it when it's -20 Celsius for snow removal. Starts easy imo. Don't like the gas tank sloshing issue though.

sweetz
04-28-2009, 02:59 AM
...with a stupid gas cap and other dumb placement on the features.

Mine starts on the second or third pull every time (choking the first pull), the power is awesome & I didn't like that turtle shell look at first either, until my blower rack failed when I hit a curd with the trailer going about 40-50 mph. The blower flew off, slid and rolled down the road. It had some road scars (still does) on that casing, but it started right up. And the power, it kicks A**! Just my opinion.

Richard Martin
04-28-2009, 06:01 AM
I like my BR600 just fine. It always starts on the first or second pull whether it's hot or cold.

I'm a little confused by BladeScape's problem with the features placement and would like to hear a little more about that.

Icepuck72
04-28-2009, 08:58 AM
These threads are kinda pointless. Just go and try all of them out for yourself. Everything has their problems.

edgewood
04-28-2009, 09:05 AM
...My findings with stihl products is that they are hard to start, and basically suck.-(just my 2 cents)

Now all the Stihl guys are going to jump on me, but i don't care...I know my facts. Go to a dealer that sells BOTH OF THEM...they will tell you which one is best.

Both blowers cost around 500 smackers.

Plus It looks like some spaceage homeowner backpack blower...with a stupid gas cap and other dumb placement on the features.

My redmax starts on the 2nd pull everytime when it's cold...after its been ran...It starts by the half pull.

Mine is not hard to start, easiest starting two stroke I have ever owned. Starts first 1/2 pull every time.

So what if it looks space age.....I find the shape superb for getting into areas without catching branches of trees etc on parts that stick out on the other blowers.

Specifically what are you referring to when you say "dumb placement on the features". What features do you need on a backpack blower other than the throttle? And its in the perfect place (in your hand). And the gas cap - I think its brilliant. Quick and easy to use.

My BR600 is the first piece of Stihl equipment I purchased, so I am not a Stihl guy, but if their other equipment (I just bought a KM110 power head) is even half as good as this blower, I might just become one. New employees always have trouble starting two strokes in general it seems, but with the BR600, starting and using it are pretty much idiot proof.

BTW - no returns of BR600s in my area - and I checked with 5 dealers before I bought mine, some that sell multiple brands.

runofthemiller
04-28-2009, 09:23 AM
well, actually, quite honestly im not even sure if it was the br600 that i used lol;) but i have used one of them, the 550 or the 600. and i would say take either one of them. i have 2 stihl string trimmers, 1 handheld blower and 1 bp blower, on my second chainsaw (first was over 20 years old!). never had a problem with any of them. stihl is SO reliable!:clapping:

by the way, stihl has the BEST dealers out there as well. ive been to four diff ones, all super friendly:clapping:

sandman23
04-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Where do you get this reliability information.......the local dealer has many many BR600 units that are blown. Units that are run under heavy use just are not holding up. Those valve and gasket problems are not solved.....now the BR420 is a reliable unit. I expect a unit to run around 5 to 10 years without an engine problem and Echo can do that and maybe other manufactures but BR600 is not in the mix.

My reliability info comes from the fact that these units are in their third season and get heavy use. I havent had the first problem with them. I have heard about valve problems but never experienced any myself and I believe it is an easy fix. No reason not to buy a product from a very reputable manufacturer with excellent service records.

WH401
04-28-2009, 02:06 PM
I bought a 600 last fall and it's the best $500 I've ever spent. It's very light so it doesn't hurt to wear it for long periods of time; the engine is completely enclosed so there is nothing to get hung up in branches; it doesn't look like a manufacturer just took a bunch of blower parts, set them on a frame, and called it a day; it's fuel efficient; it isn't obnoxiously loud; it's the easiest starting 2-stroke I have ever dealt with; and it will take care of even the biggest piles of leaves. I never hesitate to recommend them to other people nor would I ever hesitate to buy another 600 or a 4 mix engine.

Richard Martin
04-28-2009, 04:09 PM
I bought a 600 last fall ; it's the easiest starting 2-stroke I have ever dealt with;

The BR600 and 550 are 4 strokes, not 2 strokes.

TheLawnRangerLLC
04-28-2009, 04:35 PM
I have a BR600 and I have done quite a few large clean-ups with this blower, and I would not use anything else. I am all about Stihl, it is what I like and what I will continue to use. I know others on here beg to differ, however, I would say you cannot go wrong with it. Just my $.02

WH401
04-28-2009, 11:20 PM
The BR600 and 550 are 4 strokes, not 2 strokes.

Obviously, but when one says "easiest starting 4 stroke" when referring to a blower, most people give you a blank look. It's easier to just say 2 stroke and be done with it.

Glad to know the forum is now home to nit pickers as well.:rolleyes:

Pistol
04-29-2009, 12:32 AM
pointing out that the BR 600 is a 4 stroke and not a 2 stroke is not nit picking - in my nit picking feeling kind of way! - lol

sweetz
04-29-2009, 01:15 AM
Obviously, but when one says "easiest starting 4 stroke" when referring to a blower, most people give you a blank look. It's easier to just say 2 stroke and be done with it.

You think that was nit picking!?!?!? Read some other threads on this site.:laugh::laugh:

Richard Martin
04-29-2009, 07:20 AM

Hmm... I've never had someone give me a blank stare over that.

I've also been nit-picking here since 2000 and never gotten a complaint before. :hammerhead:

WH401
04-29-2009, 09:28 AM
I've also been nit-picking here since 2000 and never gotten a complaint before. :hammerhead:

Well there's a first time for everything.

WH401
04-29-2009, 09:29 AM
pointing out that the BR 600 is a 4 stroke and not a 2 stroke is not nit picking - in my nit picking feeling kind of way! - lol

If the post serves no purpose, such as it did, then it's nit picking.

lawnjox
04-29-2009, 10:01 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEePijBdgJw

grass disaster
05-01-2009, 08:57 PM
well i bought it. the br600 $440 before tax.

works great. i should have bought it 2 years ago.

there are some things i would change but all in all it does it's job.

lawnjox
05-01-2009, 10:52 PM
well i bought it. the br600 $440 before tax.

works great. i should have bought it 2 years ago.

there are some things i would change but all in all it does it's job.

you did good, it should last you for a very long time, if you take care of it! Some of mine have seen 8000 mows before they are just a pile of broken plastic!

topsites
05-01-2009, 11:15 PM
you did good, it should last you for a very long time, if you take care of it! Some of mine have seen 8000 mows before they are just a pile of broken plastic!

I still have one of my first Br-420's, doesn't see much use since I bought the 600, down in the basement
it sits collecting dust now it looks like something out of a Mad Max movie, but I can start it anytime and
it runs as strong as it did new.

Yes, IF you take care of it.

SfTD_service_CENTER
05-01-2009, 11:22 PM
i know this is a little late but i run a shindaiwa 8510 and i really like it, im not one to complain much about comfort but it probly isnt that great as for as comfort goes but wide open it deff does move things. that br600 is probly amazing after using tthe other stuff right. thats what it was like for me i wish i had bought mine a long time ago!

ed2hess
05-02-2009, 10:49 PM

I don't buy any of that......like I pointed out there are many many of these failing in our area and yes they are a pile of broken engines not plastic. I still maintain it is the least reliable engine on the market.

clay duncan
05-02-2009, 11:40 PM
i maintain the 4-mix units i have are the best units i have ever used and would not consider using anything else.

all ferris
05-03-2009, 12:16 AM
I still have a 11 year old Br400. Still runs after 11 years of full time commercial use and I can honestly say I have only replaced isolation springs.

sweetz
05-03-2009, 03:48 AM
My 600 is about 1 1/2 yrs old. It has seen some hard use, it has fallen of my trailer going down the road at about 40 mph.. It is still one of the #1 purchases I have made (as far as equipment goes). It saves me at lest a few minutes per account. There isn't much I can't move with that thing. Do I care if anyone buys this? No, I'm not trying to sell anything. Just trying to tell someone MY experiences.

lawnjox
05-03-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't buy any of that......like I pointed out there are many many of these failing in our area and yes they are a pile of broken engines not plastic. I still maintain it is the least reliable engine on the market.

I had one out of 14 units I have purchased in the last 3 years broke a push rod. I am not trying to sell anything I simply told my experience with the 600 blower. I can also say this is the only stihl product I will use. I used the fc75 and fs80 weed eater and edger and could only get one season out of them before the compression would get to low to use!