PDA

View Full Version : paint or stain?? trailer floor

happy
04-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Whats the best looking and for preservative sakes too. Paint or stain? If paint what color? I have always had black floors, one trailer had brown. All were open trailers. I just bought an enclosed, and was wandering what might be the best and why. Any comments or thoughts greatly appreciated

DMPServices
04-27-2009, 09:15 PM
I like to use Black Stain on my trailer floors it doesn't peel like paint and kinda hides oil drops

sslopok
04-27-2009, 09:53 PM
I just used thompson's water seal on my new enclosed. I had some extra laying around. In a few months I am going to coat it with a garage floor coating.

DoetschOutdoor
04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I went with the roll on bedliner from walmart, forget the brand, and it has held up very well for this first year. I think it was like 35 bucks a gallon and I used a little over a gallon for my 6x12 enclosed. Much better than paint or a stain IMO and the anti skid is great. Went about a foot up the walls and then used walmart brand heavy duty grey paint for the walls and its a major improvement altogether. Able to hose everything out but that is usually not necessary since it blows clean very easy. Did all this the very first day I had my new trailer and will do the same on the next ones.

Greybeard
04-28-2009, 03:26 PM
We used a light grey two-part urethane paint that they use for gas station concrete islands. It's still going strong after 9 years. If we didn't have that stuff on hand, I'd probably use a good garage floor paint or something else designed for traffic areas.

mtg97
05-01-2009, 03:14 PM
In my box trucks that i buy new i take carboard cover the floor and the card board the sides five foot up duck tape it and replace when worn, five years down the road they look brand new no stains or scratches best of all it only cost 5 dollars for the roll of tape:weightlifter:

MCMURRAYHARDSCAPES
05-07-2009, 10:28 PM
lynseed oil from home depot is the only thing that you can put on new open trailers and wont let the boards crack on you, like thompsons or stain. it is about 32$ for a gallon. a gallon will easily do a 6x12' trailer

mtg97
05-08-2009, 01:56 AM
lynseed oil from home depot is the only thing that you can put on new open trailers and wont let the boards crack on you, like thompsons or stain. it is about 32$ for a gallon. a gallon will easily do a 6x12' trailer

the post is about enclosed trailers

MCMURRAYHARDSCAPES
05-08-2009, 10:57 PM
My bad guys! but just so everyone knows that is the only thing that will work on open trailers!

mtg97
05-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Will the oil work on treated boards, Ihave treated lumber on my trailer.

MCMURRAYHARDSCAPES
05-11-2009, 02:55 PM
yes it is made for exterior wood, but the wood has to be dried out. at least 6 months of sitting outside would be a general rule of thumb.