PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight

tpl
03-27-2002, 11:24 PM
Anyone ever order from harbor freight?
If so, did it last.
I need to buy some equipment that I will rarely use and figure that this is the right place.

If you've never heard of it, look at the site - Harborfreight.com

PR0 TURF
03-27-2002, 11:50 PM
Ive ordered from Harbor Freight...for the same reason as you, for stuff that will get used not that often. I've had good luck with everything so far. The prices are good and the shipping was pretty quick. I would definitely reccommend giving them a shot...but remember...you get what you pay for!

Grass_Slayer
03-27-2002, 11:56 PM
some of their stuff is pretty good though. like ingersoll-rand air tools and remanufacture dewalt and makita power tools.

a lot of their other stuff is good too just not as good as higher and more expensive brand names.

GLS
03-28-2002, 12:11 AM
There is a Harbor Freight store not far from where I live (15 min). They seem to have some nice stuff at a very low price. Like grass_slayer said, they have nice air tools. I have never bought anything from there. The store is pretty small...they look like the type of place that wouldn't accept returns. I wouldn't mind buying little things such as air hoses etc.

P&J Lawncare
03-28-2002, 12:18 AM
I have ordered alot of stuff from them and I have never had any problems with their merchandise

David Haggerty
03-28-2002, 06:21 AM
Equipped an entire woodshop. Mostly great tools.
If they come out with a new catalog that has something you bought at a cheaper price, they credit your account the difference within a year!
Brand name items aren't such a great bargain. I just bought a set of S&K sockets cheaper in Wilmington than what's in their catalog.
For air tools in the "pittsburgh" brand go for the Professional or Contractors series for the best tools. They're good tools at a good deal. Much better than the Campbell Hausfield tools at Wal-Mart.
I bought a set of wrenches from them that were an India import. I gave them to my nephew. I could have returned them but they were only like $16. Most of their imports are Chinese, and are excellent. The quality makes you wonder how they can sell them so cheaply.

I think their best deal is their professional socket sets.
Items # 45468-OCKA and 45469OCKA
Excellent quality. Compares to S&K at about a tenth the price.

Dave

jmcooper
03-28-2002, 10:17 AM
I was buying off the web from them and never had a problem. HB opened up a store here about a month ago so now I go there instead of mail order.

tpl, if you don't mind an hour and a half drive, they have a Harbor Freight in Huntsville, AL. I can send you directions if your interested.

Bob Minney
03-28-2002, 06:37 PM
I buy their hand tools to carry on the truck, I don't feel bad when they get lost. Also good price on gloves. Got an inexpesive pressure washer for my equipment for about $90. Most of what I have seen at their store is ok for light use/ hobby but probably wouldn't hold up to daily use.

tpl
03-29-2002, 01:49 AM
have a store about twenty minutes from me and went there today. It was like going to a junk yard....only evrything was new.
I bought a few things to help me rebuild my transmission. Ripped it out hauling a bobcat. The price at sears for a set of snap ring pliers is 79.99 and i got them from hb for 6.99. Hope they work. I'm only going to need them once. Got some air tools and hoses also. A hose is a hose i guess.

jeffyr
03-29-2002, 05:55 AM
I got one of there $20 angle grinders and a cheap 110v welder for $200. I have had the angel grinder for 4 years and it still works and have had no problems with the welder in 2. For everyday use I don't think they would hold up, but for the hobbyist or occassional repair I think they are worth it. If you are getting power tools just read the specs carefully and compare to a commercial brand. Many times the ratings are just low enough on the motor to make the product barely useable or not tollerable.

micromike
03-29-2002, 08:34 AM
I live in a rural area near an aution house that has a contract to sell HF returns and scratch and dent. The prices are incredible, 1/3 to 1/2 or less of what you pay in the catalog and no shipping costs! I always take a copy of the catalog with me to make sure I'm getting a good deal. A couple years ago I bought almost $3,000 retail for $700.

The name brand stuff is good but if it isn't name brand it's a Chinese knock off and that stuff is mostly junk. I bought a 1500 Superwinch for my four wheeler new, still in the box for $60. They go for about $260. It works perfect. They had over 100 winches once, some Ramsey and some Chinese knockoffs that went incredibly cheap. I saw a Vangard 20 horsepower gas motor, brand spankin new still in the crate, go for $400. Also a Honda 18 horsepower for about the same. As well as other large expensive gas and electirc motors, hydrolic motors, air tools and hoses, hand and electric tools, gas trimmers and blowers, you name it. Once they had a line of garden hoses of every description, probably 150 ft. long, with 5 to 10 hoses in each pile. Pile after pile after pile. They went for an average of $7 a pile.

The problem is it's cash and carry, "as is." You might be buying stuff that is broken and don't know it, but I've not been screwed yet.

Micromike